Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Drinking culture in UK these days?

Drinking culture in UK these days?

Old Feb 13th 2020, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drinking culture in UK these days?

I have the chance of a job in Perth in Scotland. Born and raised in SE England though, and spent most of the last 25 years in the USA. When I was younger, and when I last lived in the Uk around 2002, getting drunk on a weekend night and getting in fights seemed like a national pastime sometimes. Even though I liked a night out myself I usually managed to avoid that kind of trouble, although know friends that got caught up in mindless violence through no fault of their own. It always seemed like that just one look in the wrong direction, or spilling someone's drink could get you a punch in the face.

in the US that has never seemed to be an issue. Maybe because everyone knows that the other guy could be carrying a gun. I am in my mid 50's now so not too worried about pub fights, but I have had kids late in life and would hate for them to get caught up the culture of drinking and fighting I was always wary of when I was younger in the UK. Have things changed? I know a lot of pubs have closed down or become more like restaurants. On my more recent trips back it seems much quieter out at night. Anyway, my American wife wants to escape the gun culture here, but I would hate for my kids to lessen the chance of getting shot only to increase the chance of getting the crap kicked out of them. Especially with English/US accents in Scotland. Not sure if there is still the hate between the English and Scots there always used to be.

Appreciate any comments. Any info on Perth gladly accepted too.

Last edited by Psyman; Feb 13th 2020 at 10:29 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 11:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drinking culture in UK these days?

That hasn't really been a problem for at least the last ten years. There are still rough towns or pubs but the binge drinking lad/ladette culture has pretty much died off. In England at least, I can't speak for Scotland
Old Feb 14th 2020, 1:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect your experience is critically dependent on your habits and social circle. I went to uni in London and worked there afterwards in the 1990's, but despite probably drinking more than I should, often several nights a week, I don't think I ever saw a pub brawl. I used to go to quite a lot of rock concerts too - an average of one every couple of weeks, so I was often out-and-about in central London, but again, I don't ever recall seeing a brawl while passing many pubs and clubs anywhere between Brixton and Kentish Town, and Hammersmith and the West End.

That said these days I would be more concerned about the "knife culture" than the drinking culture, but again that is likely a function of the company you keep more than a general problem.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry too much. There's been a decline in anti-social behaviour fuelled by drink over the last 10 - 15 years, and something of a shift in attitudes amongst young people, although you still find it in some places.

The SNP have resurrected the old prejudice towards the English, which was always a bit one sided, to gain support for their independence campaign. This is tiresome, but you do come across it. I was born and brought up in Scotland, but 'inherited' my mother's Durban (South Africa) accent and lived in SA for + 30 years. A lot of Scots identify it as upper or upper-middle class English, which some retards seem to regard as a challenge, but I'm damned if I'm going to change it now!

Just tell your kids to be sensible about who they go out with, and where. I live in Edinburgh and we go out in the evening without giving it a second thought, but there are places we definitely wouldn't go to. It's much the same anywhere else in the world.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

My home town used to have quite a few army barracks in and around it, so that used to contribute to some of the problems I think (squaddie v locals etc). On a Christmas Eve after the pubs closing i do remember seeing some one pretty much getting kicked down the street on the other side of the road as I walked home. Hate to think what their Christmas day was like. I was probably only 16 or 17 so not much I could do about it.<br /><br />Moved to London when I was 18 and like Pulaski was out and about alot but didn't see much nastiness. Mostly I suppose I was always aware of a lot of male bravado amongst big groups of lads wearing shirts that cost them a week's wages, and if you looked at that them the wrong way they'd give you a mouthful. Pretty tiresome. Sounds like it's not too much of an issue these days.<br /><br />I am used to being the one with the accent these days so wouldn't be too worried about that unless someone thought I was some upper class toff from Southern England. On video I do seem to sound a bit posh these days, which must be due to having had to speak clearly for so many years over here so I am understood!

Last edited by Psyman; Feb 14th 2020 at 5:06 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That hasn't really been a problem for at least the last ten years. There are still rough towns or pubs but the binge drinking lad/ladette culture has pretty much died off. In England at least, I can't speak for Scotland
Have you read the case of Jordan Sinnott mudered a few weeks ago? I suspect the residents of Retford might think otherwise.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Drugs is a bigger issue in some areas than drink. I see evidence of it every day where I live
Old Feb 14th 2020, 9:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
Have you read the case of Jordan Sinnott mudered a few weeks ago? I suspect the residents of Retford might think otherwise.
It’s very tragic for his friends and family but one case doesn’t mean the overall rate of violence hasn’t declined in the last ten to twenty years. it’s noteworthy because it’s relatively rare these days.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Perth, Scotland is nice with easy access north and to Dundee.
It is a compact city.
Good train service to Edinburgh or Glasgow.
Just as in the USA, you can find trouble anywhere but you quickly learn the places to avoid.
You can sometimes get rowdy behaviour from visiting soccer fans but the stadium is well outside the centre.
Be aware of potential flood zones near the river.
You could look at Auchterarder (13 miles away - the home of Gleneagles hotel golf courses) or other small villages around Perth.
HTH
Old Feb 17th 2020, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the Perth info. Not sure a move there is on the cards having researched house prices there a bit. No idea why they are so high. I was expecting Scotland outside Glasgow and Edinburgh to be pretty affordable. I found one article that said Perth was in the top 5 in UK most expensive for house prices as related to earnings locally. The job pays only about 60% compared to my current US salary. Would be ok with that if I could cut costs too, but looks like it would be a struggle.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the commuter belt in Fife. On the railway that foes Cowdenbeath, Cardenden. Locals who cannot afford Edinburgh prices do that.
Old Feb 19th 2020, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Been to Perth once about 10 years ago and, on the evidence of the time, pub brawls would have been fairly unlikely given the dearth of actual pubs.