Down in the dumps

Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:58 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Down in the dumps

I'm about to have a major vent, so if you don't like to see people whining, don't continue to read.

Every day that goes by makes me despise life here more and more. The company I work at is not doing so good in this region, (it's new construction) and although they have other offices throughout the country that are doing pretty well, it's still not enough to pick up the financial slack for our office. Since January of this year, people have been laid off (my husband was one of them), and we used to have about 60 people here, now we're down to only 15.

Every month, the boss goes to have a meeting with the CEO, and it started to feel like waiting for a guillotine blade to fall when he came back the next day. Now it's a weekly feeling. Another 3 got laid off last week, so the rest of us thought we were safe for at least another month, but we were wrong. Another one got laid off today. He's been here for years, and it came as a massive shock to all of us.

I can't take it anymore, and what with me leaving for the UK for good in Feb, it's worrying me to have to find another job for just a few weeks if I get laid off, especially at this time of the year. I haven't told anyone at work of my intentions to return to the UK, and I still don't know if I should right now or not, as I'm worried it might make their decision for them. At the same time, I want to be honest with them so it's eating me up to know what to do for the best.

Also, the rental company for the house I lived in last are trying to shaft me and my husband for a massive amount of money for having to break our lease early because of severe financial hardship. The house was vacated in August and they're trying charge us for the entire rest of the year (when the lease would've expired). That'd be all well and good, and we'd have no problem with having to pay that much if they hadn't already got a new tenant in there in mid September. The collection company have suggested I get an attorney. Oh, ok.....shall I sell my body, or shall I sell my soul to the devil to pay for it? Which do you think would net more cold hard cash?

I'm fighting these charges, but what with everything else going on, it's really knocking the wind out of me. I'm meant to enjoy my last bit of time here and it seems like every w*nker out there has their hand in my pocket and I'm so fed up with it. I can't wait to get out of here now, and though I *may*(though probably not likely) come here for a vacation in the future, I never want to live here again as long as I'm alive. If you're not rich, may as well go live under a bridge and die.

Anyway, rant over, sorry to bring you down, and if I offended anyone who still likes the US, I apologize.

Last edited by katesbackagain; Dec 12th 2007 at 5:01 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:29 pm

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Down in the dumps

Hi Katesbackagain,just popping past,Im really sorry you seem to be going through it.Just sending you big hug and.Hope that soon you will be OK.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:34 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
I'm about to have a major vent, so if you don't like to see people whining, don't continue to read.
............ Anyway, rant over, sorry to bring you down, and if I offended anyone who still likes the US, I apologize.
You are going through a tough time right now, but you'll get through it. It's only another couple of months - keep reminding yourself of that.

Do not under any circumstances tell your employers (or co-workers!) of your plans.

I'm pretty sure it is against the law for your landlord to get money from you if he has re-let the apartment. If you do get taken to court before you leave, see if you can find a lawyer to give you some pro bono advice.

Keep strong!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

I know how you feel,in the states when it's bad it's REAL bad and when it's good it's REAL good.It's a bit like the weather here actually,I am fed up with it and I am off.
Don't worry try stick it out until Feb it will get better in the UK
take care of yourself and your family for the short period that is left
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:19 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
You are going through a tough time right now, but you'll get through it. It's only another couple of months - keep reminding yourself of that.

Do not under any circumstances tell your employers (or co-workers!) of your plans.

I'm pretty sure it is against the law for your landlord to get money from you if he has re-let the apartment. If you do get taken to court before you leave, see if you can find a lawyer to give you some pro bono advice.

Keep strong!
I agree. No company ever went bust because an employee left. But if they fire your ass because you are honest enough to tell them you're leaving, it sure will hurt you ...
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:58 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I agree. No company ever went bust because an employee left. But if they fire your ass because you are honest enough to tell them you're leaving, it sure will hurt you ...
Yes, this is a good way to look at it.

I was very torn as this company has been VERY good to me. They gave me an interest-free loan for a not-too-shabby amount when I was in dire need of it, and I paid it all off in one go once I was able to, but even then, I was afraid to do so as I thought that was the only reason they were keeping me. That was a month or so ago, and I'm still here, so I was wrong to think that way.

Another reason I feel bad is that there is a lady here who is like my adopted mother. She's so wonderful, and I feel guilty for leaving as she gets a lot of work dumped on her, and I was hoping they wouldn't make her do mine when I go. They wouldn't hire someone new for my job for a while as there's a hiring freeze, so they could probably have the other locations do my stuff until they pick up again. I'll point that out in my leaving speech when that day comes.

Thank you all for the support. I feel a little better having gotten that all off my chest. I also just spoke to the collection company for that rental place again, and the lady there is being really nice and is willing to work with us any way she can, she's really encouraging us to dispute the charges if we feel they're wrong as she agreed it wasn't right if they'd got another tenant already. Almost feel bad for yelling at her earlier this morning.....
Old Dec 12th 2007, 7:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Noooooooooooo please don't tell anyone of your intentions to leave the US in a couple of months...that would be job suicide IMO.

As you broke the lease agreement....I can understand your landlord expecting you to pay rent until the current tennants moved in...but not a red cent more.

Try to stay strong and just look forward to your move back to the UK...this time next year this will all be well behind you and you'll be looking forward to as traditional UK Christmas.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 12th 2007 at 8:20 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 8:15 pm
Former Floridian

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Noooooooooooo please don't tell anyone of your intentions to leave the US in a couple of months...that would be job suicide IMO.

As you broke the lease agreement....I can understand your landlord expecting you to pay rent until the current tennants moved in...but not a red cent more.

Try to stay strong and just look forward to your move back to the US...this time next year this will all be well behind you and you'll be looking forward to as traditional UK Christmas.

Seems the vote is unanimous, that I shouldn't tell anyone at work. Killing me, as I can't hide things I'm excited about very well. I've almost let it slip a few times, so I have to avoid people most of the time. I think I'll give my notice towards the end of January (if I haven't been laid off sooner), as I was planning a few weeks of not working before I fly anyway. If they let me go after I tell them, oh well.

I spoke to mum today and had a good moan to her as well, and she told me she went to a reunion for our old workplace the other day, and it was fun. There's another get-together next summer, too, so I can actually attend that one! Hehehe!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Down in the dumps

I agree wholeheartedly, do not tell anyone. It would be too easy for them to say goodbye to you the minute you let it slip. I'm sure it's hard to keep it a secret, but it's worth keeping your job until YOU want to leave. Good luck!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 10:16 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, this is a good way to look at it.

I was very torn as this company has been VERY good to me. They gave me an interest-free loan for a not-too-shabby amount when I was in dire need of it, and I paid it all off in one go once I was able to, but even then, I was afraid to do so as I thought that was the only reason they were keeping me. That was a month or so ago, and I'm still here, so I was wrong to think that way.

Another reason I feel bad is that there is a lady here who is like my adopted mother. She's so wonderful, and I feel guilty for leaving as she gets a lot of work dumped on her, and I was hoping they wouldn't make her do mine when I go. They wouldn't hire someone new for my job for a while as there's a hiring freeze, so they could probably have the other locations do my stuff until they pick up again. I'll point that out in my leaving speech when that day comes.

Thank you all for the support. I feel a little better having gotten that all off my chest. I also just spoke to the collection company for that rental place again, and the lady there is being really nice and is willing to work with us any way she can, she's really encouraging us to dispute the charges if we feel they're wrong as she agreed it wasn't right if they'd got another tenant already. Almost feel bad for yelling at her earlier this morning.....
You leaving and her being able to do some of your work might be the thing that keeps her employed rather than being laid off as well - look at it that way.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 6:20 pm
Former Floridian

Wow, it really does pay to open your gob and dispute stuff. I just got a call from the leasing company (I had called them and said I knew there was someone new in the house and I refused to pay the amount they said we owed) and their accounting dept had in fact reduced the debt by more than $3000 for the rent difference. Woo hoo!!!!!!!!! (Felt very smug once I'd got off the phone, too, was that wrong? )
Old Dec 13th 2007, 6:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, it really does pay to open your gob and dispute stuff. I just got a call from the leasing company (I had called them and said I knew there was someone new in the house and I refused to pay the amount they said we owed) and their accounting dept had in fact reduced the debt by more than $3000 for the rent difference. Woo hoo!!!!!!!!! (Felt very smug once I'd got off the phone, too, was that wrong? )
You're entitled to feel good about something, with all you have going on.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 7:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well done!!
Old Dec 13th 2007, 7:46 pm
Former Floridian

Well done!!
Thank you both.

Kinda feeling like the mouse in your avatar JG! Better day today.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 7:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you both.

Kinda feeling like the mouse in your avatar JG! Better day today.
Good...I'm glad you're feelin' better. You're going through a very stressful time...but you'll get through it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.