Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Don't move back to London - there are some very good reasons everybody's leaving

Don't move back to London - there are some very good reasons everybody's leaving

Old Jun 6th 2005, 5:03 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Don't move back to London - there are some very good reasons everybody's leaving

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...06/ixhome.html
2.3 million abandon London to move south
(Filed: 06/06/2005)

<<copyrighted material removed>>

Last edited by NC Penguin; Jun 6th 2005 at 9:23 pm. Reason: Copyrighted material removed
Old Jun 6th 2005, 7:35 pm
Don
Banned

Default Re: Don't move back to London - there are some very good reasons everybody's leaving

London is the new Beirut.

You want to get robbed/ spat on/ cheated/ disappointed/ threatened/ mugged?

Go to London.

Forget the Olympics until London can control crime a bit better.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 7:45 pm
Merlot

Default Re: Don't move back to London - there are some very good reasons everybody's leaving

Originally Posted by Don

Go to London.

Sounds like Sydney in places

Old Jun 6th 2005, 9:25 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don

Go to London.

Don,

Has any of the above ever happened to you or someone you know in London? What about in Beirut?

I don't think London is that much different in terms of crimes to any international city of a similar size or population.

NC Penguin

Last edited by NC Penguin; Jun 7th 2005 at 1:56 am. Reason: Typo
Old Jun 6th 2005, 10:44 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Don

Go to London.

Or if you want to get shot at, raped, assualted, car jacked and sold dugs move to Miami. At least you can be a victim of crime in the sun then eh?

Is it possible - shock horror - that every city in the world has crime and an undesirable element? Surely not?!

Old Jun 6th 2005, 11:10 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Dare you to go and say that in the Aus forum, M!!!

Shock! Horror! City has crime and some dodgy areas, just like every other place on the planet.

GG

Originally Posted by Merlot
Old Jun 6th 2005, 11:39 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Dicken's London
Old Jun 7th 2005, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don

Go to London.

Must have been a slow news day! I was born and brought up in London and although I don't live there anymore (and probably won't live there again) I still have a lot of affection for the place. As has been said before - crime happens in any big city. I haven't felt any safer in any city I've lived in or visited than I have in London. I may have been lucky but the sum total of the crime I experienced in 26 years living there was being burgled when I was 11 and one pickpocketing incident. This kind of article is just sensationalised to sell papers.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:32 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot

Ohh yes M sure does....but surely it is the land of milk and honey !!!and London's street are paved with gold...!!! :scared:
Old Jun 7th 2005, 8:36 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Un-Co
Must have been a slow news day! I was born and brought up in London and although I don't live there anymore (and probably won't live there again) I still have a lot of affection for the place. As has been said before - crime happens in any big city. I haven't felt any safer in any city I've lived in or visited than I have in London. I may have been lucky but the sum total of the crime I experienced in 26 years living there was being burgled when I was 11 and one pickpocketing incident. This kind of article is just sensationalised to sell papers.
As you say you don't live in London anymore. I do. Not sure how long since you left London but it is NOT a safe city to live in. Gun crime, knife crime, anti social behaviour, streets covered in litter , etc. etc. are common place.
There has been a 9% decline in the population of London in the last 10 years as people move out of London. This statistic speaks volumes for what sort of city London is.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
As you say you don't live in London anymore. I do. Not sure how long since you left London but it is NOT a safe city to live in. Gun crime, knife crime, anti social behaviour, streets covered in litter , etc. etc. are common place.
Hi Bay,
I wasn't suggesting London was safe - just that it's no worse than any other city of it's size. I moved away nearly 3 years ago but have spent months at a time back there since, my Mum, best friends and other family members are all still there. I don't idealise it - I'm one of the 9% who've left! But these doom and gloom stories are written to sell papers and are not news!
Old Jun 7th 2005, 1:56 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...06/ixhome.html
2.3 million abandon London to move south
(Filed: 06/06/2005)

<<copyrighted material removed>>
Yeah I hear from reliable sources (uncorroborated rumour) that everyone now
wears "hoodies" and if you step outside of your door they fall on you and
bite you in the neck and turn you into a Chav and you must wear the hoodie
at all times and only come out at night in city centers and hang around outside
of really nasty night clubs.

All this crime crap is just New Labour trying to take over the "tough on crime" thing
from the Tories and create a culture of paranoia. Same goes for terrorism and ID cards
Old Jun 7th 2005, 5:37 pm
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by nun
Yeah I hear from reliable sources (uncorroborated rumour) that everyone now
wears "hoodies" and if you step outside of your door they fall on you and
bite you in the neck and turn you into a Chav and you must wear the hoodie
at all times and only come out at night in city centers and hang around outside
of really nasty night clubs.

All this crime crap is just New Labour trying to take over the "tough on crime" thing
from the Tories and create a culture of paranoia. Same goes for terrorism and ID cards
Up to a certain point you're right.

On the other hand it is readily demonstrated that most migrants to UK will first head for London.

In the last ten years perhaps two million foreigners have made their permanent home in the UK.

Perhaps it is this influx of non-Brit peoples that disconcerts the original London residents?

London is very multicultural these days and has more than its fair share of foreign mafia/ criminal types.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Don't move back to London - there are some very good reasons everybody's leaving

Originally Posted by Don

Go to London.

The article you posted states that people are leaving London it is not indicative of why people are leaving except it mentions the high cost of housing,that's old news.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:40 pm
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by cabritpop
The article you posted states that people are leaving London it is not indicative of why people are leaving except it mentions the high cost of housing,that's old news.
So why do you think so many Londoners want out?

I could see it as a teenager. I swore that I would never work in this disgusting, dirty city with its usual long commutes, despite the fact that money would be better there.

Londoners, they blow their noses and it's black stuff that comes out. Disgustingly dirty city.

Now it has got a lot worse with the terrible crime esp muggings by swarthy Albanians and Bulgarian mafiosi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.