Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Dont if I am coming or going

Dont if I am coming or going

Old Apr 20th 2007, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

chrrissss will become famous soon enough
Default Dont if I am coming or going

I imagine my story has been on this forum many times but my wife is sick of my worrying and has ordered me to put this post on ,,, so here goes.

Been here in Perth 7 years and am now booked to move back to UK at the end of May, in those seven years I think I have wanted to return every year, but now we are finally going I am actually scared stiff and worried sick of returning. As most people who have lived here a while seem to now realise oz is not all that it seems, I have had so many dreadful jobs, been stitched up, ripped off, lied to, and cheated, not saying this doesn't happen in England but for me it was a rude awakening and a hard lesson, but a lesson well learned, but having said that since I started working for myself about 2 years ago things just got much better, finally earning ok money and not working for complete idiots who seem to think if you are not working 10 hours a day or six days a week you are lazy.

But having said that I don't hate Perth at all in fact I look around at the affluence and lovely old suburbs and it all looks good, but for me, although I have a lovely wife and two fantastic small children, the isolation and loneliness just gets too much and I long for the deeper friendships and family life back in the UK.

So what am I on about! well now that we are set to go back I am on the verge of staying, mainly because all I hear about the UK these days is negative, (and that's not just from the aussies) society and the political situation seems to have gone to the dogs, no-one I know over there seems to be doing well for themselves, and they all think I am crazy for wanting to return, I have been trying to stay focussed on our plans and not take too much notice of other peoples opinions but its really starting to worry me, can it really be that awful and hard a place to live these days? has it changed that much?

So, my head is saying stay but my heart is saying go, looking at the UK from a far I long for the English humour and culture, and see many great English qualities that I just didnt notice or took for granted while living there.

So, please if any one has just made the move or would like to remind me of some of the great reasons for living in the the Uk please feel free and let me be rid of this temporary spate of insanity.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 12:44 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dont if I am coming or going

I don't know how often and for how long you've gone back to the UK whilst you've been gone, but I have lived in California for 6 years and I go back at least 2-3 times a year, including one visit of at least a month in the summer. I do not think the UK has changed much at all in this time - except for the fact that house prices have of course increased greatly.

People in Britain have a tendency to whinge and moan - a pastime in which they are greatly encouraged by the media, especially the infamous Daily Mail... When I tell people that we plan to return in a few years time, the typical response is "why do you wanna do that for?"

If you snoop around this part of BE you will find lots of stories from people who have returned. Good luck!
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Desert Mutt is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Dont if I am coming or going

What you here about the UK is correct. It is a complete mess. Sounds like you are starting to do okay in OZ. I would stay put. I moved to Dubai 2 years ago from the UK. Lived here before though. Dubai has many problems also but i wont go back to the UK EVER

Originally Posted by chrrissss
I imagine my story has been on this forum many times but my wife is sick of my worrying and has ordered me to put this post on ,,, so here goes.

Been here in Perth 7 years and am now booked to move back to UK at the end of May, in those seven years I think I have wanted to return every year, but now we are finally going I am actually scared stiff and worried sick of returning. As most people who have lived here a while seem to now realise oz is not all that it seems, I have had so many dreadful jobs, been stitched up, ripped off, lied to, and cheated, not saying this doesn't happen in England but for me it was a rude awakening and a hard lesson, but a lesson well learned, but having said that since I started working for myself about 2 years ago things just got much better, finally earning ok money and not working for complete idiots who seem to think if you are not working 10 hours a day or six days a week you are lazy.

But having said that I don't hate Perth at all in fact I look around at the affluence and lovely old suburbs and it all looks good, but for me, although I have a lovely wife and two fantastic small children, the isolation and loneliness just gets too much and I long for the deeper friendships and family life back in the UK.

So what am I on about! well now that we are set to go back I am on the verge of staying, mainly because all I hear about the UK these days is negative, (and that's not just from the aussies) society and the political situation seems to have gone to the dogs, no-one I know over there seems to be doing well for themselves, and they all think I am crazy for wanting to return, I have been trying to stay focussed on our plans and not take too much notice of other peoples opinions but its really starting to worry me, can it really be that awful and hard a place to live these days? has it changed that much?

So, my head is saying stay but my heart is saying go, looking at the UK from a far I long for the English humour and culture, and see many great English qualities that I just didnt notice or took for granted while living there.

So, please if any one has just made the move or would like to remind me of some of the great reasons for living in the the Uk please feel free and let me be rid of this temporary spate of insanity.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:47 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Mutt
.........I moved to Dubai 2 years ago from the UK. Lived here before though. Dubai has many problems also but i wont go back to the UK EVER
Will you be taking Dubai citzenship then? What are pensions and healthcare like in Dubai?
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will get a mixture of responses as the first 2 show!

However, IMHO life is what you make it and as for me I moved from the UK to the USA in October 06 and I am moving back in June of this year.

I had a nice lifestyle in the Uk, hubby had a good job etc and although he still works for the same company here, quite frankly life is crap to put it mildly.

Hours are longer,the rental house is finished to a much lower standard than mine, the live to work ethos is against our nature, we would rather work to live, and the list of things we prefer is sooooooo long.

Like Elvira said house prices are high and of course depending on where you intend going to this will differ greatly.

Moving is a personal choice, no one can really make that decision for you, and lifestyle change that people get from moving is the reason its good or bad.

If you had a small house, small wage in one place and got offfered big house big wage in another then chances are you could be quite happy, if your lifestyle does not change for the better then this could be different. For me my lifestyle is not different and so I miss my former one as it included family etc.

I hope you find the answers to your questions and wish you the very best of luck. xx
Old Apr 20th 2007, 3:23 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

We came back to the UK after 2 years in Perth and it's the best decision we ever made - most of the negative things your hear about the UK are from the UK media and people who regurgitate information they have seen/heard in the UK media - the vast majority of these people have never lived outside of the UK so have no terms of reference. Unfortunately changes have occurred the world over - yes there is crime, drugs, immigration control problems but these are problems seen in all developed nations, they are global issues - unfortunately we in the UK are the world's worst at running our own country down so you get more negative feedback on the UK than perhaps you would see/hear about Oz.

Having experienced life in Perth and having come back here I see this country through very different eyes, it is beautiful, oh and you wanted some reasons for coming back well here goes.....
friends & family, a deep and varied history, beautiful springs with blossom bursting all over (looking at my garden now!!), lovely temperate summers, fantastic beaches, excellent variety and well priced supermarkets and clothes shops, excellent schools (despite the crap media still some of the best schools/unis in the world), decent pubs with lovely beer gardens, beautiful villages and countryside, people with a sense of humour and the appreciation of irony, Coronation Street, good crisps, decent chocolate and endless cheap and accessible holidays with Europe on your doorstep.

Don't be worried about coming home, for me the return to the motherland has been all good. I would choose the UK over Perth even on a rainy cold day in February!! Good luck with it all and best wishes for your return.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

Are you actually saying you would think about staying even though your wife is going home?
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Desert Mutt is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Dont if I am coming or going

Of course i wont be taking citizenship why would i want to. Healthcare is reasonable in Dubai and you do not have a 50/50 chance of getting MRSA.

The point i am trying to make is that here you have a larger disposable income that you are free to spend as you like and not as the government sees fit. This extra income you can invest in pension plans or other investments as you see fit. Also living in Dubai as a non UK resident you can still pay your NI contributions if you want.

Please dont get me wrong i am far from a big supporter of Dubai but as a family we have all benefitted from the move here and we will use it has a means to an end to secure our future.

There are better options than the UK

Originally Posted by Elvira
Will you be taking Dubai citzenship then? What are pensions and healthcare like in Dubai?
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

PerryH is just really nicePerryH is just really nicePerryH is just really nicePerryH is just really nicePerryH is just really nicePerryH is just really nicePerryH is just really nicePerryH is just really nice

I know how you feel. I have been in California for 18 years and everytime I visit the UK, I never want to come back to the rat race! However, I don't want to make a big mistake!

Perry
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Of course i wont be taking citizenship why would i want to. Healthcare is reasonable in Dubai and you do not have a 50/50 chance of getting MRSA.

The point i am trying to make is that here you have a larger disposable income that you are free to spend as you like and not as the government sees fit. This extra income you can invest in pension plans or other investments as you see fit. Also living in Dubai as a non UK resident you can still pay your NI contributions if you want.

Please dont get me wrong i am far from a big supporter of Dubai but as a family we have all benefitted from the move here and we will use it has a means to an end to secure our future.

Interesting statement about MRSA, you have a chance of catching it any where seeing as it something people just carry.

Not sure what relevance that has to moving back to the Uk?
although I presume its just another overated media influence that has made you mention it?.

Better options than the UK-well thats a personal thing I guess, for me I would rather be there with family, friends around me than any where else.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by loopylorns
For me my lifestyle is not different and so I miss my former one as it included family etc.

Our lifestyle has improved, no mortgage, low outgoings etc but we still want to return to England because we miss family and familiarity.

This really is a hard position to be, I wish you luck
Old Apr 20th 2007, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bramblebush
Our lifestyle has improved, no mortgage, low outgoings etc but we still want to return to England because we miss family and familiarity.

This really is a hard position to be, I wish you luck

I know I would too even if I was way way better off here, you are so right in that its such a hard position to be here.

Some times I think shut eyes and just do it!
Old Apr 20th 2007, 10:11 pm
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Could you not return for a longish holiday and see how you feel then. The UK isn't for everyone but then neither is Oz. Only you and your family know whats right for you.

Good Luck

Andreaxx
Old Apr 20th 2007, 10:49 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

But the OP isn't considering going to Dubai
Old Apr 21st 2007, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Rarn will become famous soon enoughRarn will become famous soon enough

Hi Chrissss

Its horrible isnt it not knowing...

I moved back and wish I had gone back on a long holiday to see how I felt, I ended up coming back. Its such a big move going back and if things are falling into place........a holidays a good way to gain some perspective on your situ.....maybe even nip off to Europe to get totally away from both Oz and Uk.

The very best of luck with whatver you decide

xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.