Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Done UK Recce - it's an epic - you might need a cup of tea...

Done UK Recce - it's an epic - you might need a cup of tea...

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Done UK Recce - it's an epic - you might need a cup of tea...

Excellent post - I was right there with you and positively green with envy that you will be able to go home to live! I am thinking about maybe getting Christmas at home next year but that all depends on matters beyond my control. Sounds like you all had a ball! Know what you mean about those mini parking spots!!!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:21 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post, sums up a lot (especially the bit about friends and family going "WTF do you want to move back for? It's shit here!")
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird
Lovely post - glad you have now made a decision - it's true there's good and bad in both places - but at the end of the day it just comes down to what is important to us as an individual.
Great post Emma - and well summed up pommybird.

Best wishes
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud of

What a really interesting post, We take everything for granted dont we, and our Tesco is a Tesco Extra which is very big, think if you walk up every isle you've probably covered about 2/3 miles.
Our move is not to Aussie its to Canada and looking at the houses there they seems similar to yours, the new houses being built in England are like shoe boxes and even detached houses I bet you could hold hand with your neighbor through the window and double the price.
Interested to know what area you visited. We live up North.....Blackpool is a holiday town but surrounding arears are really lovely, and the lake district is on our door step which is even more beautiful.
I think like everywhere you will get the 'grumpy old sods' but I know a smile always gets one back. Good luck in moving back to the UK.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:21 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Such a wonderful post, and I think it highlights a lot of what people have reservations about. I personally am not looking forward to seeing dog turds and litter everywhere after living in a part of the US that's practically immaculate in that sense, but when I think of being able to see my family members whenever I damn well want to, it's going to make it so worthwhile.

I can also relate to the shopping thing. I found a couple of Publix markets here that have a small selection of Cadbury's (real, not Hershey wannabe Cadbury's) and they also have Branston Pickle and curry sauce, and I mist up a little bit when I see it all. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw Cadbury's Fingers, though. That had to be the highlight of my year! I bought some, and they were eaten within the hour.

Glad to see your trip has confirmed what you were unsure of, it's really great that it worked out for you all.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:39 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Such a wonderful post, and I think it highlights a lot of what people have reservations about. I personally am not looking forward to seeing dog turds and litter everywhere......
Everywhere....... WTF...

Our council (Wandsworth) has a zero tolerance policy re. dog fouling and they have stepped up their street cleaning. It really is not a problem.

Maybe those who complain about stuff like this could d something constructive, for instance (a) speak out if they see someone duping stuff, (b) lobby their council to step up to the plate.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

It's a funny old world, reading your post made me smile too. I'm here in Kent and quite happy here, but I'd rather be in Sydney if I'm honest (and will be one day though it's not imminent). We came back from our validation trip in October (having lived in Sydney for a couple of years in the late 1980's), having wandered around the supermarkets only to be quite surprised at how good they were given the amount of negative comments Aussie supermarkets attract on here.

That said, it's more the other shops that impressed me. I live in Tunbridge Wells, one of the largest towns in Kent, and we don't have a single wet fish shop (closed about 5 years ago). We don't have a decent baker (ditto), there are good butchers but not in the centre of town, I can only think of one greengrocer. So whilst our supermarkets are good (though I do wish we had a Waitrose), I believe it is at the expense of having good independent shops. Which Sydney at least has in droves. So I found myself wandering around with an open mouth looking at these shops rather than at the supermarkets.

And if anyone knows of any produce shopping experience that comes anywhere near shopping in Adelaide's Central Market, I'd love to hear about it. I though it was heaven and would beat any supermarket into a cocked hat.

And I can't say I really noticed that Oz was that much cleaner than Britain. Cleaner yes, less graffiti in most places, yes, but not hugely so.

Anyway, glad you had a good time and your trip has helped focus your mind on where you want to be. You'll be home in no time.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 5:10 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Everywhere....... WTF...

Our council (Wandsworth) has a zero tolerance policy re. dog fouling and they have stepped up their street cleaning. It really is not a problem.
Oh, I didn't mean in the UK in general, I meant in the town I'm moving to. Didn't mean to offend.

I agree that it should be addressed. If other people can keep the area clean, it should be possible to do it everywhere.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:27 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
I live in Tunbridge Wells, one of the largest towns in Kent, and we don't have a single wet fish shop (closed about 5 years ago). We don't have a decent baker (ditto), there are good butchers but not in the centre of town, I can only think of one greengrocer.....
I have lived in the US for quite a long time. The only fishmongers, greengrocers, bakers, butchers I've ever seen have been in San Francisco and New York.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people here wouldn't even know what they are...
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:29 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Oh, I didn't mean in the UK in general, I meant in the town I'm moving to. Didn't mean to offend.

I agree that it should be addressed. If other people can keep the area clean, it should be possible to do it everywhere.
I didn't have a go at you. I just find it amazing when you hear of people moving to the other side of the world because of dog shit and litter and other trivialities.

Why not try and get involved in the community and try and address the local problems, and/or light a fire under the local council's a$$ instead...
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Emma, I had to warm my coffee up twice.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:29 pm
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

I don't think I could do a recce back to the UK as I'd be too upset leaving UK again. Well done for coping with a toddler there & back!

My idea of heaven at the moment is doing the new year sales round a cold, damp UK highstreet!! And not having a coronary everytime I drive anywhere would be a bonus

I share your views on the housing front though. We don't have a large home here but it has a feeling of light, space & airiness which I would want to try to recreate when we move back to the UK if only the finances will be on our side. It's a min. of another 2.5yrs before we do that though so maybe this so-called UK housing slump & regression will have benefits for returning Brits by then (although it's not very nice to wish financial ruin on your home country!).
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic post Emma, so pleased that in the end it was quite an easy fence to jump off from
I now have a yearning for a decent baked potato though.....jeez I miss my multi-varieties of spuds, they just aren't the same here are they!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:35 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Fantastic post Emma, so pleased that in the end it was quite an easy fence to jump off from
I now have a yearning for a decent baked potato though.....jeez I miss my multi-varieties of spuds, they just aren't the same here are they!
I could kill for a minted Jersery Royal
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm glad it's not only me who thinks spud doesnt taste right here, I've stopped eating them completely, Emma loved your post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.