Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Doggie problem after returning

Doggie problem after returning

Old May 15th 2009, 11:33 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Doggie problem after returning

My little pooch has always been a very subservient little dog. Extremely well behaved and dotes on me and my OH.
Nothing much has changed apart for her new found enthusiasm for life, a new playmate in my daughters kitten (they spend hours chasing each other all over the garden)... and this....

She has suddenly started ummmm...errrr humping my leg, and humping my husbands arm

Not once has she ever tried to do this until we got back here 6 weeks ago.
I am aware that dogs sometimes do this as a domination thing, but she truly is the most soppy and well behaved dog apart from this new "habit" I am trying to find reasons as to why she has started doing it, and also wondered if anyone else has pets who started new and strange behaviours after returning home.
Old May 16th 2009, 12:16 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doggie problem after returning

Boy is she loving life and lovin you and Dh too
Old May 16th 2009, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmm...sure you got the right dog off the plane? Could it have been abducted by aliens mid flight and 'probed'...or perhaps it's simply 'coming out of the closet'.....
Old May 16th 2009, 8:41 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Boy is she loving life and lovin you and Dh too

Yes, but i think she loving us TOO much
Old May 16th 2009, 8:44 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by macadian
Mmmm...sure you got the right dog off the plane? Could it have been abducted by aliens mid flight and 'probed'...or perhaps it's simply 'coming out of the closet'.....
Excuse me??? are you accusing my furrbee of being a lez be friends???

I am serious though. I want to to know why shes suddenly started doing it since our return. She doesnt do it to anyone else, and only does it at home so far. I guess i should be grateful shes not an exhibitionist
Old May 16th 2009, 11:50 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

You and your OH should try sitting at opposite ends of the sofa watching the TV for a few nights.
Old May 16th 2009, 5:44 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
My little pooch has always been a very subservient little dog. Extremely well behaved and dotes on me and my OH.
Nothing much has changed apart for her new found enthusiasm for life, a new playmate in my daughters kitten (they spend hours chasing each other all over the garden)... and this....

She has suddenly started ummmm...errrr humping my leg, and humping my husbands arm

I am aware that dogs sometimes do this as a domination thing, but she truly is the most soppy and well behaved dog apart from this new "habit" I am trying to find reasons as to why she has started doing it, and also wondered if anyone else has pets who started new and strange behaviours after returning home.
Could be an anxiety thing. Suzy's behaviour changed before and after every major move we made (but she has NEVER tried humping my leg!)
Old May 16th 2009, 9:09 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

I'd get her checked out by a vet to make sure there isn't any physical reason for it. (Is she spayed?) If there's nothing physically wrong, then I suspect Dunroving's right and it's a manifestation of stress.

Call in the Dog Whisperer!
Old May 16th 2009, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect this new activity has nothing to do with your recent move. I think it's more about your new kitty. Your dog is trying to assert herself as leader of the pack. She may love playing with kitty........but she needs to show you and your DH that she's still number 1 top pet.
Old May 17th 2009, 3:18 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi just started...errrr call the DOG DOCTOR what you need to is get a plastici bottle take the top off place a chain say 8ins long inside the bottle (med size) when the dog starts to hump get the bottle and frow the the bottle quite hard on the floor!! it works also when a dog barks quite a lot when you let people in to your home it works if not get the dog doctor!!!if still humping
Lin
Old May 17th 2009, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrogate girl
Hi just started...errrr call the DOG DOCTOR what you need to is get a plastici bottle take the top off place a chain say 8ins long inside the bottle (med size) when the dog starts to hump get the bottle and frow the the bottle quite hard on the floor!! it works also when a dog barks quite a lot when you let people in to your home it works if not get the dog doctor!!!if still humping
Lin
Another way to stop the bad habit is a water pistol. A quick squirt or two at her when she's doing the naughty should stop her.....it works great for training kitties too.....specially when they want to shred your furniture or get on kitchen counters, etc.

If you want to use a plastic bottle to train her, coins are sometimes easier to find than a small chain and with a dog....I'm not so sure it works as well. Our Alsation Max would automatically try and chew any plastic bottle thrown on the floor as he considers them a toy, noise or not....it may be a good idea to just give the bottle a vigorous shake to make the noise that scares/distracts them.

Whichever method you use, remember to speak a firm NO when either shaking the bottle or squirting them with the pistol....they'll eventually clue in that the word NO means they had better stop what they are doing and you won't need a water pistol or the bottle that rattles to stop them.
Old May 17th 2009, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly your dog has been reading the Daily Fail and has realised what a morally and corrupt society you have brought her into and is just trying to fit in. My advice would be to buy her a hoodie and a Nova and don't wait up. She's been 'done' right? Because the last thing you need is another mouth to feed, but hey at least she'll get a house given her, especially if she takes to one of them 'forrin dawgs'.

You've only yourself to blame really, next stop Trisha.
Old May 17th 2009, 10:55 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Clearly your dog has been reading the Daily Fail and has realised what a morally and corrupt society you have brought her into and is just trying to fit in. My advice would be to buy her a hoodie and a Nova and don't wait up. She's been 'done' right? Because the last thing you need is another mouth to feed, but hey at least she'll get a house given her, especially if she takes to one of them 'forrin dawgs'.

You've only yourself to blame really, next stop Trisha.
You have been gone too long Triboy, Jeremy Kyle is now the medium of choice for any self respecting chav
Old May 17th 2009, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
You have been gone too long Triboy, Jeremy Kyle is now the medium of choice for any self respecting chav
Oh I see. I can't understand half of what they say on Trisha (didn't she present Play School?) the couple of times I've watched it.
Old May 17th 2009, 11:27 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Scout
I suspect this new activity has nothing to do with your recent move. I think it's more about your new kitty. Your dog is trying to assert herself as leader of the pack. She may love playing with kitty........but she needs to show you and your DH that she's still number 1 top pet.
Thanks for all the replies, but i think Scout has hit the nail on the head!
Although we dont live with the kitty (she belongs to my daugther) we are there several times a week, sometimes staying overnight. Until we came here little Honey had sole rights to most of my affections as there was no one else around apart from OH. Now she has to contend with the kitten AND all my grandchildren LOL
Funny thing is though, she doesnt display this behaviour when we are at my daugthers, but waits till we get home

She is a very well trained and obedient dog in every other respect. I took her to training as a pup and have continued with it ever since.
This funny story will demonstrate just how obedient she is. When i came back to UK last year leaving OH and the dog in Sydney, i would keep in contact via webcam every day. OH and i were discussing what a good girl she is, so decided to do a test on her. OH was leaving for work. He gave her the sit and stay command, then left the house for work, leaving me watching her on the camera. I timed how long she sat there... can you believe that she sat and did not move for 7 minutes!!! I thought that was pretty amazing seeing as there was no one there (or so she thought!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.