dog info please....

Old Aug 26th 2007, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

shazza1 will become famous soon enoughshazza1 will become famous soon enough
Question dog info please....

hi everyone,im thinking of starting my dog toby's pets pp process soon,im just wondering does any of you know where i take him to get this done can it be any vets that does this or only a chosen one? and if so where is my nearest one i live in perth sth of the river, also if all goes well frm start to finish i kno it takes 6 months quaritine, is there a time limit that he has to leave the country only that im going in about 6 months time prob around the time toby gets the all clear but wont be able to go back to the uk altogether as i need to get us a place to rent which will allow a dog so me and the kids will go first,not sure how long its gonna take me to get a rental but as soon as i do then hubby and toby can follow. any info appreaciated
cheers
shaz..
Old Aug 26th 2007, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dog info please....

Originally Posted by shazza1
hi everyone,im thinking of starting my dog toby's pets pp process soon,im just wondering does any of you know where i take him to get this done can it be any vets that does this or only a chosen one? and if so where is my nearest one i live in perth sth of the river, also if all goes well frm start to finish i kno it takes 6 months quaritine, is there a time limit that he has to leave the country only that im going in about 6 months time prob around the time toby gets the all clear but wont be able to go back to the uk altogether as i need to get us a place to rent which will allow a dog so me and the kids will go first,not sure how long its gonna take me to get a rental but as soon as i do then hubby and toby can follow. any info appreaciated
cheers
shaz..
A good starting point for these questions is the DEFRA website at: http://www.defra.gov.uk. They also have a helpline, which I've found very helpful.

As far as I know, any vet can start the process, but you have to make sure the vet sends the rabies titre test to an approved lab and then you have to have a government-certified vet approve all the final paperwork (I didn't know this at first and only found out through this site, so had a few nervous moments). According to the person I spoke to at DEFRA, the final paperwork is only valid for four months from the date of signature, so you would need to make sure your dog followed you within the four months of the paperwork being signed by the govt vet. However, the vaccination and the titre test are valid indefinitely, as long as you make sure your dog gets all her/his boosters on time, so it's just a matter of making sure the paperwork itself doesn't go out of date. For example, we've been told that we can start our dog on the process now by having the microchip and vaccination done, along with the titre test. As long as we don't let her vaccination expire and have all the necessary paperwork, we can then take her into the UK anytime after the six months following her titre test. They did say that we needed to make sure we got her boosters before the vaccination actually expires. If we let it go too long, we'll have to start the process all over again.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TaraC
A good starting point for these questions is the DEFRA website at: http://www.defra.gov.uk. They also have a helpline, which I've found very helpful.

As far as I know, any vet can start the process, but you have to make sure the vet sends the rabies titre test to an approved lab and then you have to have a government-certified vet approve all the final paperwork (I didn't know this at first and only found out through this site, so had a few nervous moments). According to the person I spoke to at DEFRA, the final paperwork is only valid for four months from the date of signature, so you would need to make sure your dog followed you within the four months of the paperwork being signed by the govt vet. However, the vaccination and the titre test are valid indefinitely, as long as you make sure your dog gets all her/his boosters on time, so it's just a matter of making sure the paperwork itself doesn't go out of date. For example, we've been told that we can start our dog on the process now by having the microchip and vaccination done, along with the titre test. As long as we don't let her vaccination expire and have all the necessary paperwork, we can then take her into the UK anytime after the six months following her titre test. They did say that we needed to make sure we got her boosters before the vaccination actually expires. If we let it go too long, we'll have to start the process all over again.

Hope this helps.
thanks tara,i will go on the website and check it all out,hopefully it wont take me to long to get a rental when i get there so then he can come to the uk quickly as im gonna miss him like crazy, im talking about the dog not the hubby. lol..cheers
shaz..
Old Aug 26th 2007, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

We got our "Toby" done at Chris Preau in Vincent Street My Best Friend vetinary Centre.

Great guy knows what to do how much etc, we got the two dogs rabies and up to date vaccines done there total cost $1,000.

Blue Cross for Kennelling and travelling back to UK approx quote $3,600. They come highly recommended by the vets and I know some people that have used them.

Good luck xx
Old Aug 27th 2007, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
We got our "Toby" done at Chris Preau in Vincent Street My Best Friend vetinary Centre.

Great guy knows what to do how much etc, we got the two dogs rabies and up to date vaccines done there total cost $1,000.

Blue Cross for Kennelling and travelling back to UK approx quote $3,600. They come highly recommended by the vets and I know some people that have used them.

Good luck xx
thanks for that kath i will look into it all,finding a good kennelling is so important to me too so i will look at blue cross.
cheers
shaz and toby..xx