Dog food

Old Jan 9th 2008, 5:13 am
  #16  
BE Enthusiast
 
kizbut1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Martha, thats a place - not a suggestion.
Posts: 563
kizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dog food

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
I currently have my dog on a high quality food in the US, and it's natural, so there are no bullsh*t fillers or by-products in it like there are in the generic supermarket brands. I found this food to be better for her tummy as far as regularity and ...ahem... the quality of her stools (not to mention it's easier on my nose at clean-up time ) and her coat has much more shine.

I've seen a couple of sites in the UK that advertise natural dog food, but you know how it is. So many that all say they're the best, but which one really is?

My question is, does anyone have any personal experience with a really good one? I'll be bringing some of her current food with me so I can gradually switch her over, but I wasn't sure which one to buy once we're in the UK. Not really sure how customs works for bringing her food into the country either. Do I send it ahead by mail or is it okay in my check-in baggage?

I'm not sure how relevant this is, but this website was shown on a programme in Aus, this guy has made a fortune and I think he said he was branching into the UK. It made me smile, and you cant get much more natural than home-made can you? The thought of my spaniel eating rice is a nightmare, I'd be finding it for weeks - oh no I wouldn't, the bloody roaches would be there first :curse: Heres the address: www.grrr.com.au/dogfood
kizbut1 is offline  
Old Jan 9th 2008, 5:29 am
  #17  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 193
Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dog food

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm not sure what is wrong with the ingedients - could you give me a clue what is so horrific?

Free from artificial additives and preservatives.

Protein pellets containing meat and meat derivatives, terrier meal, cooked flaked maize, extruded wholewheat biscuits, cereal coating, dried meat greaves, cooked flaked peas, cooked wheatflakes, oils, vitamins and minerals.
Please don't shoot me ! The trouble with the pet trade is that it's profit led. Go figure. I won't even go there with the 'prescription diets', and veterinary endorsements -sigh-! I needed to research commercial dog foods, after one of my dogs developed health issues, that furthermore seemed to be aggreviated by the veterinary endorsed food. So, I thought I'd educate myself a little more substantively.
I have always owned dogs (10 at the minute), and to my shame I 'thought' I was feeding nutritonally sound quality commercial kibble. That was a few years ago. I'm now much better educated, after a lot of research, but it did take one of my dogs to get ill for me to look past all the hype. Having said that I am by no means an authority. I learn by asking lots of questions, and research.
I'm just a nobody numpty brain really, so please research yourself. However you asked very nicely so....
O.K. the rule of thumb is that generically named sources of protein are not usually present in high quality kibble, because they are derived from questionable sources. Avoid all generic meat ingredients that do not indicate a species.
Quality meat is the most expensive ingredient for a manufacturer to buy, and hence the profit margin can be variable depending on the quality/quantity of meat used in the kibble. If the foods cheap its usually because of the poor meat quality and fillers. However, you will also find 'supposed' quality or dare I say it veterinary endorsed products that are top dollar. You just need to look at the ingrediants and know what you are looking for. It's not a secret any more the information is out there.
Dogs are carnivorous. Their digestive tract is geared towards digestion of meat and fat.
O.K. to look somewhat at your ingredients;
Meat Derivatives. What meat is used. If it's not identified it could literally be anything, and it goes without saying it is going to be low quality.
Terrior Meal. Again a non specified meat source.
Cooked Flaked Maize. So were talking corn here. Corn is a difficult grain for dogs to digest. It has limited value, and is very commonly linked to allergy problems. Corn rates as the third worst offender for allergys in dogs. Grains are in dog food, because they are cheap 'fillers'. Not because they are species appropriate for your dog. Incidentally if my dogs get to the chickens corn, it comes out the same way it went in, ie undigested.
Cereal Food. An inexpensive by product of human processing. Possibly chemical residue, sweetners or other additives. It is recommended to avoid unspecified grain sources like cereal.
Dried Meat Greaves. 'Greaves' is defined by U.K. animal by products regulations 2003, as the protein containing residue of rendering, after partial seperation of fat and water. That's to say a low quality by product.
Fish Meal (for glossy coat). Is it ethoxyquin free? This is a preservative commonly added to fish destined for meal. It is believed to be carcinogenic. If it's not stated as free, then is it going to be?
Gosh, are you glad you asked now? Look at DogFoodAnalysis.com. also try www.api4animals.org/petfood.htm. Get the facts, whats really in dog food.
It was not my intention to offend anybody. I hope I didn't offend you. At the end of the day you can feed your dog on whatever you like, but at least know what you are feeding. I'm actually a convert to Raw now, although I've been a vegetarian for over 40 years (I can't believe I said that). I started very young! Hubbie brought home a deer the other week. He saw it get killed (road kill), and brought it home for the dogs. They ate absolutely everything, barring the intestines which he disposed of. I avoided the garage for the week it hung there. Hubbie had turkey for christmas, dogs venison, and I scoffed out on the brussel sprouts!
Regards.
Sunshine Girl is offline  
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:49 am
  #18  
Ping-ponger
 
dunroving's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Dreich Alba
Posts: 12,015
dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog food

Originally Posted by Sunshine Girl
Please don't shoot me ! The trouble with the pet trade is that it's profit led. Go figure. I won't even go there with the 'prescription diets', and veterinary endorsements -sigh-! I needed to research commercial dog foods, after one of my dogs developed health issues, that furthermore seemed to be aggreviated by the veterinary endorsed food. So, I thought I'd educate myself a little more substantively.
I have always owned dogs (10 at the minute), and to my shame I 'thought' I was feeding nutritonally sound quality commercial kibble. That was a few years ago. I'm now much better educated, after a lot of research, but it did take one of my dogs to get ill for me to look past all the hype. Having said that I am by no means an authority. I learn by asking lots of questions, and research.
I'm just a nobody numpty brain really, so please research yourself. However you asked very nicely so....
O.K. the rule of thumb is that generically named sources of protein are not usually present in high quality kibble, because they are derived from questionable sources. Avoid all generic meat ingredients that do not indicate a species.
Quality meat is the most expensive ingredient for a manufacturer to buy, and hence the profit margin can be variable depending on the quality/quantity of meat used in the kibble. If the foods cheap its usually because of the poor meat quality and fillers. However, you will also find 'supposed' quality or dare I say it veterinary endorsed products that are top dollar. You just need to look at the ingrediants and know what you are looking for. It's not a secret any more the information is out there.
Dogs are carnivorous. Their digestive tract is geared towards digestion of meat and fat.
O.K. to look somewhat at your ingredients;
Meat Derivatives. What meat is used. If it's not identified it could literally be anything, and it goes without saying it is going to be low quality.
Terrior Meal. Again a non specified meat source.
Cooked Flaked Maize. So were talking corn here. Corn is a difficult grain for dogs to digest. It has limited value, and is very commonly linked to allergy problems. Corn rates as the third worst offender for allergys in dogs. Grains are in dog food, because they are cheap 'fillers'. Not because they are species appropriate for your dog. Incidentally if my dogs get to the chickens corn, it comes out the same way it went in, ie undigested.
Cereal Food. An inexpensive by product of human processing. Possibly chemical residue, sweetners or other additives. It is recommended to avoid unspecified grain sources like cereal.
Dried Meat Greaves. 'Greaves' is defined by U.K. animal by products regulations 2003, as the protein containing residue of rendering, after partial seperation of fat and water. That's to say a low quality by product.
Fish Meal (for glossy coat). Is it ethoxyquin free? This is a preservative commonly added to fish destined for meal. It is believed to be carcinogenic. If it's not stated as free, then is it going to be?
Gosh, are you glad you asked now? Look at DogFoodAnalysis.com. also try www.api4animals.org/petfood.htm. Get the facts, whats really in dog food.
It was not my intention to offend anybody. I hope I didn't offend you. At the end of the day you can feed your dog on whatever you like, but at least know what you are feeding. I'm actually a convert to Raw now, although I've been a vegetarian for over 40 years (I can't believe I said that). I started very young! Hubbie brought home a deer the other week. He saw it get killed (road kill), and brought it home for the dogs. They ate absolutely everything, barring the intestines which he disposed of. I avoided the garage for the week it hung there. Hubbie had turkey for christmas, dogs venison, and I scoffed out on the brussel sprouts!
Regards.
Thanks for the information, no offence taken.

Is there a commercially-available food you recommend?

I don't doubt what you say at all, but I must say that Suzy is now almost 11 (Black Lab) and is fit as a fiddle, not overweight at all, and her digestion has been much better since she was on Skinner's R&R. She has had very few health complaints (maybe about one "illness" every couple of years) but most of them have been to do with allergy-type problems (skin and fur, or stomach problems). None of them has been serious, however. Took her to the vet the other day and she said she would have guessed her age at about 6 ... not bad for an old girl.
dunroving is online now  
Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:09 pm
  #19  
Former Floridian
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Back where I belong
Posts: 574
katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog food

Originally Posted by kizbut1
I'm not sure how relevant this is, but this website was shown on a programme in Aus, this guy has made a fortune and I think he said he was branching into the UK. It made me smile, and you cant get much more natural than home-made can you? The thought of my spaniel eating rice is a nightmare, I'd be finding it for weeks - oh no I wouldn't, the bloody roaches would be there first :curse: Heres the address: www.grrr.com.au/dogfood
Hmm, the link isn't working. Do you have an alternative way to find this story?
katesbackagain is offline  
Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:44 pm
  #20  
Ping-ponger
 
dunroving's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Dreich Alba
Posts: 12,015
dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog food

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Hmm, the link isn't working. Do you have an alternative way to find this story?
Try adding an r - no kidding.
dunroving is online now  
Old Jan 9th 2008, 2:06 pm
  #21  
Former Floridian
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Back where I belong
Posts: 574
katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog food

Originally Posted by dunroving
Try adding an r - no kidding.
That worked!

I got a little nauseous when I looked at that website. I saw that raw bone and my stomach churned, not only thinking of my pup eating it but the slimy residue left on the carpet and the smell of it.
katesbackagain is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:52 am
  #22  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 193
Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dog food

dunroving. I'm a convert to raw. Having said that there are the occasional times when I have to feed a kibble, usually for the convenience, eg if a dog is at the vets. I personally use Canidae, all life stages. It's quality without being extortionate, costs me around $50 a 40lb sack. Orijen brands are consistently reviewed as top quality but are more expensive.
Canidae for a commercial dry dog kibble ticks most boxes for me.
At the end of the day, what you feed your dog is up to you, but at least now you know what you are feeding. That's the point of information surely. If Suzy's happy on it, and you feel O.K. with it, then there you have it....but...at least now you have educated yourself as to what you are feeding. So thankyou for asking and good for you. I just get upset when some brands of dog food are generically endorsed as 'good' when the ingredients state otherwise. I'm also very happy I didn't upset you
Sunshine Girl is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:25 am
  #23  
 
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 2,717
Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dog food

My wife spent 8 years training to become a veterinarian. Your comments are plain wrong. You have no idea what you are talking about, in fact you are talking out of your butt! I have met many of my wifes fellow students when she was at school, all of them entered in to the practice because they feel compassion, not for the cash.
What vet school did you attend where a pet food representative spent a few weeks teaching nutrition?


Originally Posted by cornishvellan
Vets recommend certain products, as the above link explains: 'The reason your vet thinks so highly of the pet food they sell probably has more to do with money than nutrition. In vet school, the only classes offered on nutrition usually last a few weeks, and are taught by representatives from the pet food companies'.
Pony is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:56 am
  #24  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 193
Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dog food

Originally Posted by Pony
My wife spent 8 years training to become a veterinarian. Your comments are plain wrong. You have no idea what you are talking about, in fact you are talking out of your butt! I have met many of my wifes fellow students when she was at school, all of them entered in to the practice because they feel compassion, not for the cash.
What vet school did you attend where a pet food representative spent a few weeks teaching nutrition?
Hi, I know that you are not addressing me, but it's so nice to hear of a vet that has gone into practice because they primarily love animals and that the cash or financial rewards are a secondary consideration. Absolute Kudos to your wife. It sounds like we are on the same page. Please advise further the vet practises that your wife and her colleagues work at that primarily act upon compassion and not cash. Please give me a name so I can forward potential services to the animal rescue groups that I work with. Do they want to work with animal rescue's?
Sunshine Girl is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:21 am
  #25  
 
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 2,717
Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dog food

She graduated at A&M in Texas, but we are in L.A. for a year. Her colleagues are scattered all over the US, and beyond. I cannot answer for her fellow students on whether they want to work with animal rescue groups; I am sure the ones (who like my wife) are undergoing 14 hour day (sometimes 7 days a week) internships will not have the time. Try posting on craigslist, or a similar service (I have no idea where you are located). Some of the veterinarians I have met give back to the community by doing volunteer work one day a week, or one day a month.

On graduating new doctors recite the following oath. I don't naively imagine every person means it, but from my experience the majority do (my wife included)
"Being admitted to the profession of veterinary medicine, I solemnly swear to use my scientific knowledge and skills for the benefit of society through the protection of animal health, the relief of animal suffering, the conservation of animal resources, the promotion of public health, and the advancement of medical knowledge.
I will practice my profession conscientiously, with dignity, and in keeping with the principles of veterinary medical ethics. I accept as a lifelong obligation the continual improvement of my professional knowledge and competence."




Originally Posted by Sunshine Girl
Please advise further the vet practises that your wife and her colleagues work at that primarily act upon compassion and not cash. Please give me a name so I can forward potential services to the animal rescue groups that I work with. Do they want to work with animal rescue's?
Pony is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2008, 4:37 am
  #26  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 193
Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dog food

Hi, Is your wife a qualified vet or an intern?
I would also like to ask where the euthanised animals go?
Please give me a name of any volunteer vets. I would be so grateful, as would the critters in our rescue situations.
Compassion above cash, come on please P.M. me with some names, so I can 'hit' on these people.
Regards.
Sunshine Girl is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.