Dog food

Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:18 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dog food

I currently have my dog on a high quality food in the US, and it's natural, so there are no bullsh*t fillers or by-products in it like there are in the generic supermarket brands. I found this food to be better for her tummy as far as regularity and ...ahem... the quality of her stools (not to mention it's easier on my nose at clean-up time ) and her coat has much more shine.

I've seen a couple of sites in the UK that advertise natural dog food, but you know how it is. So many that all say they're the best, but which one really is?

My question is, does anyone have any personal experience with a really good one? I'll be bringing some of her current food with me so I can gradually switch her over, but I wasn't sure which one to buy once we're in the UK. Not really sure how customs works for bringing her food into the country either. Do I send it ahead by mail or is it okay in my check-in baggage?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 7:29 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog food

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
I currently have my dog on a high quality food in the US, and it's natural, so there are no bullsh*t fillers or by-products in it like there are in the generic supermarket brands. I found this food to be better for her tummy as far as regularity and ...ahem... the quality of her stools (not to mention it's easier on my nose at clean-up time ) and her coat has much more shine.

I've seen a couple of sites in the UK that advertise natural dog food, but you know how it is. So many that all say they're the best, but which one really is?

My question is, does anyone have any personal experience with a really good one? I'll be bringing some of her current food with me so I can gradually switch her over, but I wasn't sure which one to buy once we're in the UK. Not really sure how customs works for bringing her food into the country either. Do I send it ahead by mail or is it okay in my check-in baggage?
Can't beat Skinner's Rough 'n' Ready - not exorbitantly expensive, you can buy it in big bags (may have to order it via the pet store), muesli-type food. I could never find a food in the States that suited Suzy (I think she must have some sort of IBS problem as you'd sometimes think she ate nothing but custard from what would come out the other end ). When I first came back here we stayed with a friend's sister for a week or so and her dog ate Rough 'n' Ready. I ran out of food for Suzy one day and Sue gave her R 'n' R and not only did she seem to love it but it has been really good for her stomach. Can't beat it! (It has good stuff in it, too).

Links:

http://www.skinnerspetfoods.co.uk/pr...and-ready.html

http://www.feedem.co.uk/dog-2/dog-fo...-ready-915.htm

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 7th 2008 at 7:32 am. Reason: Found links
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Sunny Devon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi have very recently left UK and our dog was on Oscars - they have a web site and they will deliver to your door! They will give you samples to try to ensure that your dog 'likes' it. They have their own vets and nutricianists to answer any questions that you may have. Safe trip back/
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

You can get Hill's Science Diet at any Pet's Are Home Store over here. I highly recommend it. It's geared towards just about any specific health circumstance your pet needs. I put Scout (the dog) on it in the States after she was diagnosed diabetic and the Vet recommended it. It's pricey but with your lil furbaby I think it would be reasonably affordable.

They have a variety of it that's for Sensitive Stomachs and it's great. Ask your Vet in the States about it. It's pretty much the best balanced food you can buy IMHO and I researched the hell out of food because of Scout's medical conditions.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Scout
You can get Hill's Science Diet at any Pet's Are Home Store over here. I highly recommend it. It's geared towards just about any specific health circumstance your pet needs. I put Scout (the dog) on it in the States after she was diagnosed diabetic and the Vet recommended it. It's pricey but with your lil furbaby I think it would be reasonably affordable.

They have a variety of it that's for Sensitive Stomachs and it's great. Ask your Vet in the States about it. It's pretty much the best balanced food you can buy IMHO and I researched the hell out of food because of Scout's medical conditions.
Sorry, I just have to weigh in on this because it is so obvious that you genuinely believe what you say.
But...:curse: Please look at the ingredients; Hills Science Diet...errm...Corn Meal, Chicken By Products (yep them there By Products), Animal Fat (preserved with BHT & BHA).: Sorry I was so scared at this point, I refused to read any further
Sorry Scout. You could not have "researched the hell out of food", as you claim because if you had you would absolutely not be feeding your dog overpriced toxic waste. Sorry I forgot your vet sold it to you!!!!:curse:
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

dunroving. I know I like you by reading your posts! But.....:curse:
Please look at the dog food ingredients you are feeding
Old Jan 7th 2008, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

There is lots of choice of totally 'natural' dog food over here, many stockists are selling it or will stock it for you. Many companies are set up and will deliver now, this is how I get mine.

You really won't have a problem whether you want biscuit, dried food or meat or combination of all. A good off the shelf one is Burns but there is lots, generally more expensive but you get what you pay for. We feed as close to BARF diet as possible but keep a bag of dried food for those days when there isn't enough time or food in.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

cornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond repute

Meat diet
Burns:
a holistic diet
no wheat, soya or dairy products
no GM ingredients
naturally preserved with vitamin E and rosemary oil
no battery chicken meat

you can see their products at www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk

If however you want meat-free for your pet:

Ami (www.aminews.net)

or

Yarrah (www.yarrah.com)
Which is approved by the Vegetarian Society

You could also read the debate on giving your pets a meat diet:
'Obligate Carnivore' by Jed Gillen
Old Jan 7th 2008, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Twigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud of

Whatever happened to feeding a dog pedigree chum?
When I was a kid we had 2 dogs who were fed that and both lived for over 15yrs and not a trip to the vet once.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:03 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twigstar
Whatever happened to feeding a dog pedigree chum?
When I was a kid we had 2 dogs who were fed that and both lived for over 15yrs and not a trip to the vet once.
I noticed a massive difference when I switched my dog from Pedigree to California Natural. CN don't put any by-products, corn, or unnecesary fillers in their food. Right away, her coat had more shine, her poops are more solid (but not overly dry), and she hardly every farts. While on Pedigree, she was trumping away constantly, and I often wondered what had crawled up her butt and died, it smelled so bad. Now I refuse to feed her anything that contains bad ingredients. If I wouldn't eat it myself, I won't give it to her. Her food isn't any more expensive than supermarket food, either.

Thank you all for your responses.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:47 am
Former Floridian

Originally Posted by cornishvellan
Meat diet
Burns:
a holistic diet
no wheat, soya or dairy products
no GM ingredients
naturally preserved with vitamin E and rosemary oil
no battery chicken meat

you can see their products at www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk
Thank you for this link. I just checked it out, and it's pretty much identical to the food I give her now. There are also tons of stockists close to where I'll be living, so I won't need to order online. AND, they have small bites, geared toward puppies and toy breeds, so I couldn't ask for more! Thanks again!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:20 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunshine Girl
dunroving. I know I like you by reading your posts! But.....:curse:
Please look at the dog food ingredients you are feeding
I'm not sure what is wrong with the ingedients - could you give me a clue what is so horrific?

Free from artificial additives and preservatives.

Protein pellets containing meat and meat derivatives, terrier meal, cooked flaked maize, extruded wholewheat biscuits, cereal coating, dried meat greaves, cooked flaked peas, cooked wheatflakes, oils, vitamins and minerals.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

cornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond repute

The ingredients used in pet food by companies like Hills are toxic and disease causing. A number of chemicals, preservatives, livestock antibiotics, pesticides, slaughterhouse waste products and diseased animal parts (yes even if an animal has cancer or any other disease, nothing goes to waste). Dead cats and dogs are also used (especially in countries like the US where euthanasia is high for unwanted pets. See: http://www.rense.com/general70/dead.htm). Money-making companies put everything to use.

Vets recommend certain products, as the above link explains: 'The reason your vet thinks so highly of the pet food they sell probably has more to do with money than nutrition. In vet school, the only classes offered on nutrition usually last a few weeks, and are taught by representatives from the pet food companies'.

Many companies that produce pet food also test on animals. For more information please read the report from BUAV:

http://www.buav.org/pdf/H1PetFood.pdf

This is a list of companies that DO NOT experiment on animals:

http://www.iamscruelty.com/supportBrandsUK.asp

Remember what isn't being said rather than what is.

Last edited by cornishvellan; Jan 8th 2008 at 9:02 am. Reason: added link
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Admittedly I haven't read this book but would like to get hold of it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Pets-Di...9830061&sr=8-1
Old Jan 8th 2008, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunshine Girl
Sorry, I just have to weigh in on this because it is so obvious that you genuinely believe what you say.
But...:curse: Please look at the ingredients; Hills Science Diet...errm...Corn Meal, Chicken By Products (yep them there By Products), Animal Fat (preserved with BHT & BHA).: Sorry I was so scared at this point, I refused to read any further
Sorry Scout. You could not have "researched the hell out of food", as you claim because if you had you would absolutely not be feeding your dog overpriced toxic waste. Sorry I forgot your vet sold it to you!!!!:curse:

Excuse me but are you an expert on diabetes? Particularily diabetes in dogs? Dogs with diabetes need a VERY specific diet, one high in soluble fiber to help slow the absorpton of glucose in their digestive tract which in turn slows a spike in blood glocose after eating. I think I'll stick with what my trained Vet recommends. Unless you have a degree in Veternary Science then I'll reconsider your advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.