British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Dog flight US to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/dog-flight-us-uk-359089/)

dunroving Mar 4th 2006 3:06 am

Dog flight US to UK

I've read on here recently that flying a dog US to UK (from Atlanta, I believe) cost $1500, even accompanied (i.e., owner on same flight).

Is that the policy now for all airlines, and/or all airports? Any recent experience would be helpful.

Used to be they charged only couple of hundred for an accompanied dog (classed as excess baggage, I believe). That's how it was when I shipped Suzy home in 2000, and same thing coming back here.

If it's going to cost me $1500 plus my own ticket, it seems it would definitely be cheaper to go via the QM2. Trying to get my ducks in a row ...

callé Mar 4th 2006 3:13 am

Re: Dog flight US to UK

Thats why it was lots cheaper for me to come by the QM2. with two dogs and a cat, it would have been outrageous to fly. You dont have long now do you?

eurotramp Mar 4th 2006 3:37 am

Hi Calle,
how are things in the UK.....

dunroving Mar 4th 2006 3:38 am

Originally Posted by callé
Thats why it was lots cheaper for me to come by the QM2. with two dogs and a cat, it would have been outrageous to fly. You dont have long now do you?

Depends on whether I get a job :(

In my field, there aren't many going, and being tied to the academic year, after mid- to late spring there's almost nothing for another 4-6 mths (and even then not much, as most jobs are for a fall, not January, start).

Have an interview next week (bit of a step down, but may end up being my fall-back if my other applications don't bring up something). My H-1 runs out late December so it's a bit unnerving!

immunise Mar 4th 2006 4:01 am

Originally Posted by dunroving
Depends on whether I get a job :(

In my field, there aren't many going, and being tied to the academic year, after mid- to late spring there's almost nothing for another 4-6 mths (and even then not much, as most jobs are for a fall, not January, start).

Have an interview next week (bit of a step down, but may end up being my fall-back if my other applications don't bring up something). My H-1 runs out late December so it's a bit unnerving!

PM me your email address and I'll send you the Virgin rates, shippers instructions etc etc

It goes by actual weight up to a point then it switches to volumetric weight. Our dog and cage weighed 65kg so it was charged by volumetric weight of 127Kg instead!!! Total cost was $1570 plus 220 pounds at Heathrow...

callé Mar 4th 2006 4:02 am

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Hi Calle,
how are things in the UK.....

Hi!! Things are alright. Its great being here. only down side is I have yet to find a job. :( We had snow over the past few days, and its lovely. Kids are doing great, hubby likes it... :) . I just need a job!
Dunroving, good luck with the interview. Positive thoughts coming your way. ;)

Scout Mar 4th 2006 4:14 am

I've read on here recently that flying a dog US to UK (from Atlanta, I believe) cost $1500, even accompanied (i.e., owner on same flight).

Is that the policy now for all airlines, and/or all airports? Any recent experience would be helpful.

Used to be they charged only couple of hundred for an accompanied dog (classed as excess baggage, I believe). That's how it was when I shipped Suzy home in 2000, and same thing coming back here.

If it's going to cost me $1500 plus my own ticket, it seems it would definitely be cheaper to go via the QM2. Trying to get my ducks in a row ...

That would be us....actually it was $1700 USD for the dog(Atlanta to Gatwick)....she weighs 43 pounds..........roundtrip tickets for us were $550 (roundtrip is cheaper). Total costs- $2800 USD....factor in the $4700 USD for the movers and it wasn't cheap. :(

Hiya Calle! :)

dunroving Mar 4th 2006 7:37 am

Flippin 'eck, I know she's priceless, but this could end up being expensive. If I do move it would be mid-summer so my own ticket will likely be close to $1,000 - could be $2,500 for the two of us (dog - SuzyQ - and me), whereas I don't think QM2 price is anywhere near that.

Scout Mar 4th 2006 8:58 am

Flippin 'eck, I know she's priceless, but this could end up being expensive. If I do move it would be mid-summer so my own ticket will likely be close to $1,000 - could be $2,500 for the two of us (dog - SuzyQ - and me), whereas I don't think QM2 price is anywhere near that.

If I had it to do over again I would go on the QM2. It would have been about the same price for us and the trip of a lifetime.

BTW Dunroving..........bring some warm clothes when you visit.......it's been a bit nippy around the Valleys lately.... Oh and they had the Uni of Mid Glamorgan on the news lately.........due to all the new students registering. Enrollment is way up since England raised their fees.

Bob Mar 4th 2006 9:02 am

I think it also depends on time of year of the flight..and a few airlines wont' fly animals from hot places like Georgia in the summer months, but if your heading over around x-mas, that shouldn't affect you..

dunroving Mar 4th 2006 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Scout
If I had it to do over again I would go on the QM2. It would have been about the same price for us and the trip of a lifetime.

BTW Dunroving..........bring some warm clothes when you visit.......it's been a bit nippy around the Valleys lately.... Oh and they had the Uni of Mid Glamorgan on the news lately.........due to all the new students registering. Enrollment is way up since England raised their fees.

I'm trying to persuade my brother and his wife to fly out and do the QM2 trip with me.

I have been checking out the weather forecast for Aberdare (where I'll be staying). I was going to bring my hiking shorts but as you said I think I'll be needing a bit more than shorts! Hope to get out in Dare Country Park while I'm there - country hiking is nonexistent here. Also be getting my fair share of real sausages, Bournville chocolate, and LAMB!

Lizzi Mar 4th 2006 1:51 pm

If it's all down to weight put your dog on a diet sharpish dunroving ;)

Scout Mar 4th 2006 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
I think it also depends on time of year of the flight..and a few airlines wont' fly animals from hot places like Georgia in the summer months, but if your heading over around x-mas, that shouldn't affect you..

Nu uh..........we flew out of Atlanta near the end of November.........price is the same for the dog anytime.

Scout Mar 4th 2006 9:43 pm

I'm trying to persuade my brother and his wife to fly out and do the QM2 trip with me.

I have been checking out the weather forecast for Aberdare (where I'll be staying). I was going to bring my hiking shorts but as you said I think I'll be needing a bit more than shorts! Hope to get out in Dare Country Park while I'm there - country hiking is nonexistent here. Also be getting my fair share of real sausages, Bournville chocolate, and LAMB!

I know there are packages for the QM2 where the price includes a one way air fare back after the trip.........I wonder if they would fly them to NY for the sail back to England? Worth checking in to.

Bob Mar 5th 2006 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Scout
Nu uh..........we flew out of Atlanta near the end of November.........price is the same for the dog anytime.

I wasn't talking cost, I was talking about if they would fly the animal or not...heat of summer, and the won't fly your pet out because of the heat on the tarmac etc.