dog costs from OZ

Old May 20th 2007, 11:20 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dog costs from OZ

I thought if you got the dog it's rabies jab here in Oz that there was NO quarantine needed ( here OR UK ) What's this about quarantine being done here in Oz before you go back to UK?? Is it 3 -4 months?????? That's OBSENE!!!!!

*PEARLY*
Old May 20th 2007, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

mike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
I thought if you got the dog it's rabies jab here in Oz that there was NO quarantine needed ( here OR UK ) What's this about quarantine being done here in Oz before you go back to UK?? Is it 3 -4 months?????? That's OBSENE!!!!!

*PEARLY*
The procedure is:

A rabies injection by an approved vet.

A blood test 4 weeks later.

Then you have to wait 6 months from the date of the blood test before your dog can fly to the UK (providing the blood result is ok)

If you take the dog home before the 6 month period is up, then they have to spend the remainder of that time in quarantine in the UK.

Hope this helps

Jo
Old May 20th 2007, 11:57 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Jo,

thanks for that. So, if you wait for the full six months here our dog wouldn't have to do any quarantine either here or ther Uk? Is that correct?

We think we'll stay here for about 5 years and then move back to Uk. Just need to know that our "sprocket" wont have to do ANY more quarantine providing we don't leave before the 6 month deadline. ( which we wouldn't, we'd try to plan it right )

Cheers Jo.

*pearly*
Old May 21st 2007, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you keep the yearly rabies injection up to date you will be able to travel on the pet scheme without the dog having to go into quarantine, but dont let the time lapse one day out with the vaccine and you will have to start the whole procedure again!! try and get the vaccine done at least a week before the due date (thats what the vet told us).
Old May 21st 2007, 12:49 am
shoot from the hip,baby

So, if we thought we'd be returning to the Uk in say 4 years time - would we have to have him vaccinated with the rabies jab every year up until then? Or is it ( when you know when you want to go ) just one jab then blood test then ( if he's passed it ) we leave for Uk 6 months later?
Excuse my dumbness - was never sure about the whole thing even before we left!
*pearly*
Old May 21st 2007, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

mike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond repute

So, if we thought we'd be returning to the Uk in say 4 years time - would we have to have him vaccinated with the rabies jab every year up until then? Or is it ( when you know when you want to go ) just one jab then blood test then ( if he's passed it ) we leave for Uk 6 months later?
*pearly*
Dont worry, I was the same as you, I was confused by it all, and Kath helped me out lots!

The vet told us that our dogs would have to be vaccinated, then blood tested one month later. After the clear result, they can travel at 'anytime' after the 6 month period, providing that each year, you have them re-vaccinated.
You cannot miss the vaccine by 1 day within the calendar year though, (eg, vaccinated 31/12/06 - next vaccine no later than 31/12/07).
If you miss by one day, then the whole process has to be started again.

We got our dogs vaccinated a few weeks ago, as we were unsure about staying here or going home lol. They go back next week for their blood tests, and then they will be able to fly 6 months later, or anytime after that, (depending on what we decide to do) providing we keep the rabies booster up to date.

Jo
Old May 21st 2007, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

*pearly*
Yes every year and not a day later than first rabies jab injection!!! and then you would only have to take that very first blood test, and keep topping dog up yearly with rabies jab.
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:58 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mike&jo

Then you have to wait 6 months from the date of the blood test before your dog can fly to the UK (providing the blood result is ok)
Has anyone heard of a dog having a result of the blood test that wasn't OK?
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alicecat
I asked the vet that very question, and he told me that in all the years he has been doing it, he has never known a dog to fail the test.
That was reassuring, but knowing the luck my family have, one of our dogs will probably be the first!
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:43 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mike&jo
I asked the vet that very question, and he told me that in all the years he has been doing it, he has never known a dog to fail the test.
That was reassuring, but knowing the luck my family have, one of our dogs will probably be the first!
I know that feeling! I am worried because ours was a stray maybe her immunity might have been weakened through poor diet or something. Probably highly improbable or impossible but when you begin to imagine worst case scenarios there is no such thing as sense!!
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by alicecat
Yes my friend in Brisbane had her dogs done last year and one failed the blood test and it had to be redone and she had to pay for it!!!! but it was ok second time around just a costly project!!
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:31 am
Back in the UK

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Yes my friend in Brisbane had her dogs done last year and one failed the blood test and it had to be redone and she had to pay for it!!!! but it was ok second time around just a costly project!!
Why did it fail? Error in lab?