Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Doesn't it make you want to go home?

Wikiposts

Doesn't it make you want to go home?

Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:10 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doesn't it make you want to go home?

Originally Posted by snowbunny
contractors have lost their ability to command higher wages than direct employees. The mentality now is to throw three offshore workers at a problem rather than to hire one contractor. Sometimes this works, other times....
Shame that.
I'd rather pay 23 off-shore employees than demoralise my own staff by paying some lazy b*st*rd contractor 3 times the regular wage to do a half-assed job.
I have worked with way too many chancers to have any sympathy for contractors.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
What I mean by self employed is a small owner operated business. Say a small auto repair shop. You wouldn't pay him double to fix your car because he was sick for a couple of days would you?
I don't really consider contract employees self employed, since for the most part they are employed by an agency.
You don't think the fees of the small business man carry some contigency for sick time and insurance policies? That said, I do know being ill as a small business owner can have far more serious consequences indeed.

I'm also not saying it's necessarily much, some businesses have more margin to afford this than others, .. I also think the States system leaves these people at far more risk than Europe. But then that's one of the reasons I dont live in the States

Independent contractors are not employed by agencies, the very point of calling them contractors infers they are not "employees" of any body, the same goes for temps. Contract laws and parameters are quite different to those of an employment contract. There are definitely less of them about now though. I know where the confusion comes from though, my OH is called a contractor and he's not at all he's an employee.

I speak in terms of UK employment law, not US btw.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Shame that.
I'd rather pay 23 off-shore employees than demoralise my own staff by paying some lazy b*st*rd contractor 3 times the regular wage to do a half-assed job.
And thats another reason why there's less of them about now
Old Oct 7th 2007, 2:31 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather be an employee than a contractor, contracting was the only thing I could find.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 2:40 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Shame that.
This is the problem that my OH has, he's a contractor (because thats the only work he could find)
He's very proud of what he does and gives the job 100% everytime, the only problem is that there are a lot of lazy contractors out there and most people/employers tar everyone with the same brush and he has to prove to them every day that he's not one of them....

so when he meets those type of contractors....he lets them know just how he feels......
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:48 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
so when he meets those type of contractors....he lets them know just how he feels......
I know a lot of contractors who were not only lazy, but also refused the opportunity to be converted to employees when the chance arose - no sympathy at all.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:58 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

I know a lot of contractors who were not only lazy, but also refused the opportunity to be converted to employees when the chance arose - no sympathy at all.

wish somebody offered us that....we'd rip their hands off in a nano-second...
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:00 am

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife is contractor/consultant in education; she is paid much better than she would be as an employee, that being said she does miss out on any benefits. She has never had a problem finding work; actually it’s been the opposite she has had to turn down work because she had too much on her plate. I think if you’re good at what ever it is that you do people will find you. At least that has been my experience.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:10 am
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by hatfield1
My wife is contractor/consultant in education; she is paid much better than she would be as an employee, that being said she does miss out on any benefits. She has never had a problem finding work; actually it’s been the opposite she has had to turn down work because she had too much on her plate. I think if you’re good at what ever it is that you do people will find you. At least that has been my experience.
thats the bit we hate....
its taken my OH 6 yrs but he's finally getting a name for himself as being a guy that knows his stuff and now he's finally being requested for by name (whooppee)
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:27 am

thats the bit we hate....
its taken my OH 6 yrs but he's finally getting a name for himself as being a guy that knows his stuff and now he's finally being requested for by name (whooppee)
That’s what she has me for:
1 Benefits
2 Lift heavy stuff
3 Free labor (home repair)
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:37 am
Last orders please...

That’s what she has me for:
1 Benefits
2 Lift heavy stuff
3 Free labor (home repair)

of course.....we know which side our breads buttered on..
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:02 am

of course.....we know which side our breads buttered on..
Yes we have been on to you gals for a while now. We know what’s good for us, and besides you’re all pretty and soft and stuff, that makes it all worthwhile.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:23 am
Last orders please...

Yes we have been on to you gals for a while now. We know what’s good for us, and besides you’re all pretty and soft and stuff, that makes it all worthwhile.
ahhh bless you big ol softie ....
Old Oct 8th 2007, 7:24 am

ahhh bless you big ol softie ....
Sure I am just don’t tell wifey. That will ruin years of hard work.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I would rather be an employee than a contractor, contracting was the only thing I could find.
Same here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.