Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Doesn't it make you want to go home?

Doesn't it make you want to go home?

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Doesn't it make you want to go home?

Originally Posted by Bob
only two months unpaid maternity and no real paternity in this state...
yes i know...i'd not be having any if i lived here and had to resort to childcare at that age for my baby, i don't think it's fair on the little one. but yes they survive ok it's just me, i don't think it's much of a start in life.

Last edited by TruBrit; Oct 3rd 2007 at 10:17 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Are you two having to face this prospect then
yup...not much fun....child care ain't cheap either around here...almost cheaper not to work and there won't be much left over after which is a chore.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:56 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
The minimum number of vacation days in the UK has just gone up to 24 and in 2009 will go up again to 28.

Nuff said.

Just one of the many reasons why I'm planning to go back early next year. I'm working class, but under no circumstances will I remain a workaholic and be okay with it.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 1:10 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean about them frowning on taking time off in the US. I worked for a company that offered 10 sick days per year. That's awesome. I booked a week off sick as I was having surgery and knew I'd need at least that amount of time to recover. Then, later in the year, I got sick with a very bad cold (almost unheard of since I've been in the States) and had another 4 days off sick. I was called into the office when I returned and got a bollocking for having so much time off. They didn't say it, as it'd be illegal, but I got the impression I would be fired if I took any more time off. Well, excuse me all over the place for feeling like shite on your precious clock. It's not like I was out shopping or at the pub.

People who are well rested definitely perform much better. The last year or so, I feel tired every day and really don't want to get up in the morning, and my lifestyle hasn't changed otherwise, so I know it isn't that.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 1:44 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
... I was called into the office when I returned and got a bollocking for having so much time off. They didn't say it, as it'd be illegal, but I got the impression I would be fired if I took any more time off. Well, excuse me all over the place for feeling like shite on your precious clock. It's not like I was out shopping or at the pub.
I got the exactly the same "talking to" at my last job. I tried to explain that they REALLY didn't want me touching keyboards, mice, monitors etc with my cold/flue germ filled hands. They took no notice and gave me a formal warning for too many "unscheduled absences" so for the next three years whenedver I was sick, I made sure I hacked, coughed, sneezed and spluttered as much as possible around the HR departments computers. Not the most mature thing to do, but screw 'em
Old Oct 4th 2007, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
I got the exactly the same "talking to" at my last job. I tried to explain that they REALLY didn't want me touching keyboards, mice, monitors etc with my cold/flue germ filled hands. They took no notice and gave me a formal warning for too many "unscheduled absences" so for the next three years whenedver I was sick, I made sure I hacked, coughed, sneezed and spluttered as much as possible around the HR departments computers. Not the most mature thing to do, but screw 'em
The HR department definately deserve it, being that they are generally the spawn of Satan in this country.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 2:20 pm
Former Floridian

Originally Posted by Titchski
Good one!

The place I work now is a little more lenient. They would even let people bring kids in during the time they were off school. Well, up until one kid was sick, and puked all over the office. Turns out he had meningitis. Never seen so many disinfectant wipes in one place at one time after that. Thankfully, he recovered, but still. Don't think most workplaces here give a shit how sick their employees are, as long as you still have a pulse and can do "something", you're golden.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 4:34 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

On the contrary, my job is insisting I stay home since I have had the mother of all colds for almost a week. Guess they don't want Typhoid Mary around.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 5:18 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by cindyabs
On the contrary, my job is insisting I stay home since I have had the mother of all colds for almost a week. Guess they don't want Typhoid Mary around.
Aw cindy. Hugs and hope you're up and at 'em soon
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
The HR department definately deserve it, being that they are generally the spawn of Satan in this country.
HR being abosolute shite and a waste of everyone's time is a disease the world over and nothing country specific.

In my humble opinion!
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:06 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I just don't see how families with young children cope if both parents work - which most of them seem to (because otherwise how can they afford the American Dream...)
All three of us work (me, my husband, and my kids' dad). It SUCKS. I have no paid vacation as a contractor (and I do not get paid substantially more than an employee), Toon has no vacation yet (not any til after one year) but my ex has four weeks cos he works at a good company.

Toon and I are about to drop from exhaustion.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
HR being abosolute shite and a waste of everyone's time is a disease the world over and nothing country specific.

In my humble opinion!
Yep, you'd be right. But even worse here than anywhere else!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone else here self employed, because as a self employed person, customers don't pay for your days off.
How about you take your car for service and the mechanic asks you to pay for the days he was off sick and unable to work on your car. Would you be OK with that.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 3:32 am
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Doesn't it make you want to go home?

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yes i know...i'd not be having any if i lived here and had to resort to childcare at that age for my baby, i don't think it's fair on the little one. but yes they survive ok it's just me, i don't think it's much of a start in life.
if anyone needs help making babies, lol, but seriously, the self-employed and mums with young kids have a raw deal.

Why can't there be proper healthcare and maternity benefits?

Last edited by lanky spoken here; Oct 5th 2007 at 3:34 am.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
Is anyone else here self employed, because as a self employed person, customers don't pay for your days off.
How about you take your car for service and the mechanic asks you to pay for the days he was off sick and unable to work on your car. Would you be OK with that.
Not sure about the good ole US of A but in the UK you do pay for their days off .. you pay in there hourly rate. I would pressume that the calculation of day rates in the US is the same ... but, you never know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.