Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Doesn't it make you want to go home?

Wikiposts

Doesn't it make you want to go home?

Old Oct 2nd 2007, 2:57 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doesn't it make you want to go home?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I get 4 weeks vacation in addition to regular holidays like Columbus day, MLK day, Presidents day etc... And a "Diversity day" during which I am supposed to "celebrate diversity". If I stay at this job another 5ys I'll get my 5th week, dunno if I'll make it though.
My OH doesn't get Columbus Day, MLK day etc. He gets Christmas Day, Memorial and Labour day and Thanksgiving but often he is put on call for those days as everyone assumes he won't want them as he is not American.
He doesn't get time off in lieu for his on call days either
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

columbus day is about one of the only days I don't get off...what's up with that
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:31 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
columbus day is about one of the only days I don't get off...what's up with that
I know in some areas the Ind...sorry, Native Americans didn't really think it's a day that should be celebrated.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 5:48 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

I know in some areas the Ind...sorry, Native Americans didn't really think it's a day that should be celebrated.
They do have a good point though
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 5:51 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
They do have a good point though
Then they can go to work...
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 7:35 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Then they can go to work...
That means I must be a native
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 7:58 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

They are probably right mainly because he found the west indies so wtf has it got to do with septics skiving?
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:36 am
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i am going home and that is excellent news
And Me!!! Extra days holiday and Minimum wage up as well!

Doing the Conga
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dan725
Thats fantastic; it really serves to highlight the different mentality between Europe and the US.

The lack of vacation is one of the worst parts about living in the US - but you can't really do anything much about it - its the culture.

Dan, that is so true. I had to work 2 years just to get 2 weeks paid vacation in US, and I had to work Christmas, New Year and Easter. More to life than work, and thats the main reason I'm going back to Bighty
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Might not even take that long!

When my wife and I were looking into buying a house, I saw the property taxes and went: "Wwhhhhaaaaaat???" like a proper homesick Brit.

Brother in law pays $25,000 a year in property taxes! INSANE.
Where does he live....The Hamptons in NY State?
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:52 am
Account Closed

We're not home owners, so that might have something to do with it - but our cost of living is WAY, WAY less than in the UK.

Still can't find a decent cheap white wine, though.
With healthcare costs and US Taxes, its more expensive for me to survive in TX.

Loaf of bread $2.49 I can get a Warbutons loaf for 79p top whack! Tinned foods twice as expensive. Campbells tomato soup $1.99 45p at Tescos. Pound of Cheese $6.49 Block of cheshire cheese same weight 96p.

And finally, lol HP Sauce, $3.99 75p at Waitrose.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 11:24 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here
I can get a Warbutons loaf for 79p top whack!
Dream on my mum was saying that they are £1.30
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Thydney
Dream on my mum was saying that they are £1.30
what part of the uk was that? food prices vary greatly across the uk.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:15 pm
Not dead yet

Originally Posted by TruBrit
what part of the uk was that? food prices vary greatly across the uk.
Up north near where he's from
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:27 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

I had 5 weeks vacation in the UK - but 30% less pay and no career possibilities. Here I earn a lot more, but only get 2 weeks.

I'd still rather take the higher pay and chance of promotion, though.
That said you can be fired on the spot here without explanation after thirty years good service to the company - in many cases and as I understand it. My wife has just gotten a new job that she loves but the vacation time she is allowed has to be built up over the months, something like after six months she can have four days holiday, after nine six days and so on. In the UK you get the job and can take a week of before you even start if you have a holiday booked. Different strokes for different folks I guess but employment practices here leave a lot to be desired IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.