Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Doesn't it make you want to go home?

Wikiposts

Doesn't it make you want to go home?

Old Oct 1st 2007, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doesn't it make you want to go home?

Originally Posted by neil
The minimum number of vacation days in the UK has just gone up to 24 and in 2009 will go up again to 28.

Nuff said.
I'm so jealous - where do I sign up? Oh why didn't I marry a Brit?

I probably shouldn't complain though. I get 3 weeks and our company provides an option allowing everyone with over 2 weeks to either "buy" or "sell" a week of vacation. Meaning - I take 4 weeks a year but one is actually unpaid but the cost of it is spread out throughout the year. If you didn't want all your vacation (crazy peeps) you could "sell" up to a week of vacation and receive the extra income for it. It's also easy for us to work at home.

But I still want more vacation time - with family all over the country - that would be SO nice.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 1:23 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
I'm so jealous - where do I sign up? Oh why didn't I marry a Brit?

I probably shouldn't complain though. I get 3 weeks and our company provides an option allowing everyone with over 2 weeks to either "buy" or "sell" a week of vacation. Meaning - I take 4 weeks a year but one is actually unpaid but the cost of it is spread out throughout the year. If you didn't want all your vacation (crazy peeps) you could "sell" up to a week of vacation and receive the extra income for it. It's also easy for us to work at home.

But I still want more vacation time - with family all over the country - that would be SO nice.
When I was in the UK I used to sort my shifts out so I only ever worked half a year lol
Old Oct 1st 2007, 1:23 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
So where are you now
Here, but I'll be there for Christmas
Old Oct 1st 2007, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I've been talking to people here about it today and the first thing they all say is "I bet that affects productivity". I believe that productivity is probably higher (or at least just as high) because you're less likely to get burnt out, and I don't honestly believe an extra 10 days out of 1 year can make that much of a difference.
I agree with you - I'm very burned out now - and short of changing jobs or having a kid (which is not restful time off) there's no end in sight. It can feel very overwhelming. A more rested employee is certainly more likely to be productive I'd think. Europe certainly has the right idea there!!

Now where do I sign up?
Old Oct 1st 2007, 2:25 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
I had 5 weeks vacation in the UK - but 30% less pay and no career possibilities. Here I earn a lot more, but only get 2 weeks.

I'd still rather take the higher pay and chance of promotion, though.
Let's see if you're still singing that tune a year from now...
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:53 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

So, anyone else think there's some truth in the old saying that, "The British work to live, and the Americans live to work"?
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:15 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
When I was in the UK I used to sort my shifts out so I only ever worked half a year lol
Now why doesn't that surprise me

Used to work a great combination of shifts years ago ...Mon/Tues/Wed/-Sat/Sun one week and Thus/Fri the following week
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:33 am
Just Joined

yorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant future

You should be aware that this is not "extra" holiday time as such...

It is to make sure that everyone is on a level playing field as far as holidays are concerned.

In the UK you have a minimum paid holiday entitlement of 20 days plus you are entitled to 8 statutory bank holidays (Christmas Day, New Years day etc), but these bank holidays, whilst you have entitlement not to work those days, your employer is NOT required by law to pay you for this time off, and many small companies do just that. This is patently unfair as you can hardly say, “I’m sorry I cannot afford a day off, so please arrange to open the store/factory/office on Christmas Day and I will work” – so the government are introducing these holiday increases so that eventually there will be 28 day PAID holiday per year, but this will include the bank holidays – if your company already pays you for the bank holidays then great, but you won’t get any extra – what you have been getting already has been at the courtesy of your employer.

For most people this law change will make no difference, but in many small companies (including where my wife used to work) this will make a great deal of difference to the employees.

I hope all this makes sense

Steve
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:48 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkie
You should be aware that this is not "extra" holiday time as such...

It is to make sure that everyone is on a level playing field as far as holidays are concerned.

In the UK you have a minimum paid holiday entitlement of 20 days plus you are entitled to 8 statutory bank holidays (Christmas Day, New Years day etc), but these bank holidays, whilst you have entitlement not to work those days, your employer is NOT required by law to pay you for this time off, and many small companies do just that. This is patently unfair as you can hardly say, “I’m sorry I cannot afford a day off, so please arrange to open the store/factory/office on Christmas Day and I will work” – so the government are introducing these holiday increases so that eventually there will be 28 day PAID holiday per year, but this will include the bank holidays – if your company already pays you for the bank holidays then great, but you won’t get any extra – what you have been getting already has been at the courtesy of your employer.

For most people this law change will make no difference, but in many small companies (including where my wife used to work) this will make a great deal of difference to the employees.

I hope all this makes sense

Steve
Fair enough - not quite how it was represented on radio 1 yesterday morning but never mind.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:02 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough - not quite how it was represented on radio 1 yesterday morning but never mind.
That's Radio 1 for you!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:15 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
That's Radio 1 for you!!!
Serves me right for not looking it up before posting, but having said that even looking around the BBC website for the last two days this article is hardly any clearer: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7021247.stm
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:23 am
Just Joined

yorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant futureyorkie2 has a brilliant future

Serves me right for not looking it up before posting, but having said that even looking around the BBC website for the last two days this article is hardly any clearer: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7021247.stm
Yeah but that's a politician making a statement - notice how easily it makes him look as though the government are giving more time at home for everyone?

Yes, they are doing something which is good and the right thing to do - but don't for Christ's sake let them spin it into something it isn't Grrrrr

Steve
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:35 am
Not here much

Originally Posted by yorkie
Yeah but that's a politician making a statement - notice how easily it makes him look as though the government are giving more time at home for everyone?

Yes, they are doing something which is good and the right thing to do - but don't for Christ's sake let them spin it into something it isn't Grrrrr

Steve
There's probably an assumption that you are aware of everything that is going on in the UK in the way it's written - I assume if we were there we would have heard about what was happening previously. Still, that assumption should not be there when reporting something.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:53 am
Just Joined

There's probably an assumption that you are aware of everything that is going on in the UK in the way it's written - I assume if we were there we would have heard about what was happening previously. Still, that assumption should not be there when reporting something.
No Neil - you seem to be about as aware as most people over here are too - I have almost lost count of the number of times I have had to explain that we all don't get an extra 8 days off.

Some of the people in my office were actually scanning online holiday sites to see where to go with their "extra" days.

Many people are going to find out the hard way about this

Steve
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 2:50 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I get 4 weeks vacation in addition to regular holidays like Columbus day, MLK day, Presidents day etc... And a "Diversity day" during which I am supposed to "celebrate diversity". If I stay at this job another 5ys I'll get my 5th week, dunno if I'll make it though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.