Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Doesn't it make you want to go home?

Doesn't it make you want to go home?

Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:44 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Doesn't it make you want to go home?

The minimum number of vacation days in the UK has just gone up to 24 and in 2009 will go up again to 28.

Nuff said.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Doesn't it make you want to go home?

Originally Posted by neil
The minimum number of vacation days in the UK has just gone up to 24 and in 2009 will go up again to 28.

Nuff said.
i am going home and that is excellent news
Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:55 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i am going home and that is excellent news
Good for you. I still think about it once in a while but love my life here right now. The only bad thing is the number of vacation days (and I do better than your average American).
Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

definitely makes me want to seriously consider a move (and I'm a USC)...I get 3 weeks, and that is above normal here..
Old Oct 1st 2007, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by neil
Good for you. I still think about it once in a while but love my life here right now. The only bad thing is the number of vacation days (and I do better than your average American).
you just keep loving your life here and if and when you decide to move back home then the vacation time will surely be an added bonus for you
Old Oct 1st 2007, 1:05 pm
Not here much

Originally Posted by TruBrit
you just keep loving your life here and if and when you decide to move back home then the vacation time will surely be an added bonus for you
That's basically what I was just talking to a colleague about. No reason to move but it's always a possibility for the future if things change here.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 1:47 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

I had 5 weeks vacation in the UK - but 30% less pay and no career possibilities. Here I earn a lot more, but only get 2 weeks.

I'd still rather take the higher pay and chance of promotion, though.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 2:45 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
I had 5 weeks vacation in the UK - but 30% less pay and no career possibilities. Here I earn a lot more, but only get 2 weeks.

My husband had the 5 weeks then went up to 6 weeks. But he rarely got chance to take all his vacation days. They were given the option of taking the money and not taking the time off anad because he works in IT he was expected to work long hours. There were many years he never got to take all his vacation time.

Here, he isn't given this choice. Take them or lose them. He gets 4 weeks, is just about to go up to 5 and makes damn sure he takes them all. and we don't feel the need that we have to get away to feel as though we are on vacation. Where we live is like a vacation as soon as you finish your day of work, especially in the summer

So like you, this wouldn't have us running back
Old Oct 1st 2007, 3:58 pm
Not here much

Personally, work is not my life. Having said that though where I work now is not too bad as I don't have to work long hours and I do get reasonable vacation (by US standards). It's also pretty flexible if I need to work from home for any reason so I'm certainly not rushing home for any reason.

I've been talking to people here about it today and the first thing they all say is "I bet that affects productivity". I believe that productivity is probably higher (or at least just as high) because you're less likely to get burnt out, and I don't honestly believe an extra 10 days out of 1 year can make that much of a difference.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats fantastic; it really serves to highlight the different mentality between Europe and the US.

The lack of vacation is one of the worst parts about living in the US - but you can't really do anything much about it - its the culture.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

You are a model American, Roland
Old Oct 1st 2007, 4:16 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
You are a model American, Roland
He was before he ever left Britain!

Still, he's only just arrived in the US. Give him a few years...
Old Oct 1st 2007, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dbj1000

Old Oct 1st 2007, 4:23 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

*grin*
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:13 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

Might not even take that long!

When my wife and I were looking into buying a house, I saw the property taxes and went: "Wwhhhhaaaaaat???" like a proper homesick Brit.

Brother in law pays $25,000 a year in property taxes! INSANE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.