Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Does the UK recognise the act of renoucing a persons citizenship?

Wikiposts

Does the UK recognise the act of renoucing a persons citizenship?

Old Sep 1st 2008, 5:45 am
Just Joined

ChrisMc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does the UK recognise the act of renoucing a persons citizenship?

It's me again, I have learned a lot from these threads, and for that I thank you. But I have one last question that I am unclear about... Many countries do not recognize the act of renouncing their citizenship as part of US naturalization. Does the UK recognise this act of renoucing citizenship ....or not? Thanks, Chris
Old Sep 1st 2008, 5:53 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does the UK recognise the act of renoucing a persons citizenship?

Originally Posted by ChrisMc
It's me again, I have learned a lot from these threads, and for that I thank you. But I have one last question that I am unclear about... Many countries do not recognize the act of renouncing their citizenship as part of US naturalization. Does the UK recognise this act of renoucing citizenship ....or not? Thanks, Chris
Nein.......
Old Sep 1st 2008, 5:54 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Not -- if you want to renounce it, you need to go in front of a British consular office and do it. After paying the fee, of course. Why anyone would choose to is beyond me though.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 6:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you go to the wiki here (top of the page) and read the articles about citizenship. There is a great FAQ ... Rich Wales' Dual Citizenship FAQ ... and an article about the pros and cons of dual citz and a lot of info on the how-tos.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 6:14 am
Just Joined

I will read the Wiki - thanks!

I do not want to renounce any connection I have with UK...that's my concern. I guess I would like the best of both worlds..to live in USA and to have the possibility to go back to UK without any problems if anything unforeseen happens.

I have held a Green Card for 3 years - it expires in 2015 but last week when I returned to USA from Europe, Customs and Immigration asked me why I still have a Green Card and not a US citizenship. At that point I was unaware (ignorant) that I could apply after 3 years.

Since then I learned a lot, and...saved $80 by reading this web page and the threads! :-)
Old Sep 1st 2008, 6:19 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I will read the Wiki - thanks!

I do not want to renounce any connection I have with UK...that's my concern. I guess I would like the best of both worlds..to live in USA and to have the possibility to go back to UK without any problems if anything unforeseen happens.

I have held a Green Card for 3 years - it expires in 2015 but last week when I returned to USA from Europe, Customs and Immigration asked me why I still have a Green Card and not a US citizenship. At that point I was unaware (ignorant) that I could apply after 3 years.

Since then I learned a lot, and...saved $80 by reading this web page and the threads! :-)
Are you married to a US citizen?

If so, the three year waiver applies to you. If not, you wait five years as a PR.

In reply to your other thread.. one way you can tell if a website is 'official' or not is the ending ".gov". Notice that the bogus site you found ended in .org.

Anyway, there's plenty of dualies here, and you don't have to give up a thing. Just the one little tattoo and procedure.. most of it is done under anesthetic.

The Rich Wales FAQ should answer the concerns you've raised.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 6:26 am
Just Joined

Lose the tattoo??

Yes I am married to a US citizen....and trying to sell it to him that suet pudding, treacle pudding and haggis are good! (not togther though...but good)
Old Sep 1st 2008, 7:05 am

Lose the tattoo??

Yes I am married to a US citizen....and trying to sell it to him that suet pudding, treacle pudding and haggis are good! (not togther though...but good)
Good luck with that!
I think you'll have an easier time with the naturalization application.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 7:11 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Does the UK recognise this act of renoucing citizenship ....or not?
As with all things immigration, terminology is *everything*. When you take the US Oath of Allegiance, you do not renounce your former citizenship... you renounce your former allegiance! Big, big difference between the two. Besides, US oaths are *not* binding on any other country... so, for those countries that recognize dual citizenship, they don't care if you become a USC. They will still treat you as one of their own!

Many of us here are dual UK/US citizens - complete with two passports! Some of us, including me, are citizens of 3 countries... some even more! The important thing to remember is that each country will treat you *only* as a citizen of that country.

Ian
Old Sep 1st 2008, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Not -- if you want to renounce it, you need to go in front of a British consular office and do it. After paying the fee, of course. Why anyone would choose to is beyond me though.
Wait until the UK starts taxing expatriates...
Old Sep 1st 2008, 9:36 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
Wait until the UK starts taxing expatriates...
Brits have a history of refusing to pay unfair taxes -- despite Ynaks thinking this is their preserve. I left the UK around the time of the poll tax....and they never had a penny off me.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:41 am
Just Joined

spiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to all

......last week when I returned to USA from Europe, Customs and Immigration asked me why I still have a Green Card and not a US citizenship........
was this a jokingly asked question or a serious imiigration officer type question?

If the latter, I hope you told him to go mind his own.......
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:54 am
Just Joined

I had my doubts he was serious, but was not sure, so I took it as a serious immigration officer type question..
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

I had my doubts he was serious, but was not sure, so I took it as a serious immigration officer type question..
In that case the appropriate answer would be "Because I have never applied for naturalization".
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:04 am
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Some border guards are perfectly fine people who are just doing their jobs. Others take their duty to protect the homeland as a sacred duty that can be entrusted to no one but themselves. As part of the zealotry, some of them DO take it on themselves to challenge (a) your reasons for not yet having naturalized, (b) your choice of attorneys, (c) the places you have visited and the reasons for your visit, and other sundry topics. Even as a US citizen, I always steer clear of such officers, giving them no reason to focus on me.

I remind clients that border guards are like snakes. Some are very good for protecting the environment, for eating pests, and for ecological balance. Some are poisonous. And unless you're a herpetologist, YOU cannot tell the difference and you should not try. Just steer clear and do nothing to incite the creature.

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA