British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Does anyone watch "Wanted Down Under"? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/does-anyone-watch-wanted-down-under-746102/)

ukintexas Jan 24th 2012 4:36 pm

Does anyone watch "Wanted Down Under"?
 
It's a program from the UK (I watch via UKnova.com), about UK couples/famililes looking at making the move to Oz. The program takes them over there for a week to look at houses, jobs, lifestyle etc.

Well, it drives me nuts! I'm addicted to watching it (Lord knows why!), but some of the families are just disaster relocations waiting to happen. I wish the program would allow them to talk to all walks of expats - those that have made the move and loved it, those that have made it and hate it, those that loved it for a bit and then returned home etc etc.

It just puts them into a bubble of sea, sand and sunshine (whilst completely playing on emotions with family clips from the UK saying don't leave!). But the thing that really gets me - can you see I'm on a roll?! - is that the people looking at the move talk about the "bubble" of sea, sun etc and how much the scenery is lovely and the BBQs will be great etc but what they don't get is the fact that those things aren't that great without friends and family around you. I want to scream at the TV to those famililes that have a really strong community/family connection in the UK that it's those things that are important - not the other things that can so easily seduce us.

Yes, I made the move and yes I've enjoyed most facets of it BUT I entirely underestimated the missing of relatives and friends and when I see people about to do the same, it makes me sad/mad/irritated etc!

Ok, rant over............anyone else watch it??

janeyk Jan 24th 2012 6:07 pm

Re: Does anyone watch "Wanted Down Under"?
 
Hi
I am with you entirley, I have ping ponged between UK & NZ and know only too well the pit falls we are currently in NZ due to work but for how long, I see people on the program who wish to come over with little or no money and expect a mansion, the exchange rate has not helped this! and are disappointed at the house(s) they can afford.

I must admit though a recent program based in Wellngton I did feel sorry for the family they arrived in the worst week of weather when it snowed for the first time in 30 odd years and the houses they were shown were awful having lived in Wellington there were a lot of other house they could of seen for their budget, I am not sure of the programs objectives or if there was not a lot on the market. The daughter was half way through a degree and they did nothing on camera to explain the issue of fees etc for moving as she would be a foreign student??
but as you say the program is addictive.

Tr1boy Jan 24th 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Does anyone watch "Wanted Down Under"?
 
I've been watching the series because I've been at home injured. All my 21 yrs in Oz were in Sydney but I've worked and been sent to enough interstate offices to get a feel for everywhere(except TAS).

I've made a few comments on the Oz forum. The best one so far was sending the Muslim family to Dee Why and then saying it was multi-cultural. I spent most of my time at Nth Narrabeen so know the area well. It does have a mix of people, but not the first place I'd send a Muslim family looking for strong religious communities.

The other great one was when one family worked out they'd be better off on Oz financially if the wife worked full time, but she didn't work in the UK, now I'm not the accountant in the family but even I could work that out:lol:

The most open minded family IMO so far was the family from Dudley that were looking at Auckland. I thought they were very level headed.

Gabgoeshome Jan 25th 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Does anyone watch "Wanted Down Under"?
 
I have started watching it on youtube.

I don't like the fact that they just say that they will be going, then you hear no more!(well until a revisited episode I guess)

I'd say most of them will come home...they are so swayed by the weather that they seem to lose all common sense.

Its natural to want to give it a go, I can see that though :)

chris955 Jan 25th 2012 9:21 pm

Re: Does anyone watch "Wanted Down Under"?
 
Like so many that come here they seem to get sucked in by the sun, sand and sea idea and life seems to consist of sitting on the beach all day and working a few hours every now and then. A large number go home because surprise surprise life here is working, paying bills, crime, paying more bills.....wow, just
Ike home. :rofl:

quoll Jan 26th 2012 9:03 am

Re: Does anyone watch "Wanted Down Under"?
 
No, and neither do I watch the jewelry channel. All advertizing!!!

HighSpeedGrandma Jan 28th 2012 8:42 pm

Re: Does anyone watch "Wanted Down Under"?
 

Originally Posted by ukintexas (Post 9862458)
It's a program from the UK (I watch via UKnova.com), about UK couples/famililes looking at making the move to Oz. The program takes them over there for a week to look at houses, jobs, lifestyle etc.

Well, it drives me nuts! I'm addicted to watching it (Lord knows why!), but some of the families are just disaster relocations waiting to happen. I wish the program would allow them to talk to all walks of expats - those that have made the move and loved it, those that have made it and hate it, those that loved it for a bit and then returned home etc etc.

It just puts them into a bubble of sea, sand and sunshine (whilst completely playing on emotions with family clips from the UK saying don't leave!). But the thing that really gets me - can you see I'm on a roll?! - is that the people looking at the move talk about the "bubble" of sea, sun etc and how much the scenery is lovely and the BBQs will be great etc but what they don't get is the fact that those things aren't that great without friends and family around you. I want to scream at the TV to those famililes that have a really strong community/family connection in the UK that it's those things that are important - not the other things that can so easily seduce us.

Yes, I made the move and yes I've enjoyed most facets of it BUT I entirely underestimated the missing of relatives and friends and when I see people about to do the same, it makes me sad/mad/irritated etc!

Ok, rant over............anyone else watch it??

Hello.
I have been absent from Brit Expats for a while as I returned to the UK after living in the US for many years. Just browsing the forums and I came across your post about the programme.

I have caught quite a bit of it while working. I work in a care home so whilst taking care of residents in their rooms I am a captive audience to whatever they are watching.;)

The programme Wanted Down Under grabbed my attention because of my life in the US and how long I was away from the UK. I agree with you entirely when you say the people that are choosing to move based on a one week visit to Oz are underestimating how much they will miss friends and relatives. It's family and friends that brought me back to UK in the end because I wanted them more than my nice lifestyle in the US.

In the US I had a nice house on 3 acres of land, a well paid (stressful) job and pretty much not much of a life other than work and taking care of the house and the many cats we adopted.

I am back in the UK now living at my daughters, working in a low paid job because I haven't been able to find an office job. I have been back a year. The one thing I realised is that no matter how big or nice your house is, or how well paid you are, or how gorgeous the weather is, or how much cheaper certain things are, or how much further your money goes, at the end of the day if you don't have family and friends ( I mean friends who are from the same country, who have the same background, who think alike and know what you are talking about ) to share it with it gets old in the end and you are left with the decision of whether to stay where you are, or uproot your whole life again to return to the UK.

I don't see how anyone can make such a huge life changing decision after spending 1 week in a country. But if you want to give it a go, then do it, but be prepared to pay a price. And not just financially.

Gabgoeshome Jan 28th 2012 9:10 pm

Re: Does anyone watch "Wanted Down Under"?
 

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma (Post 9870596)
Hello.
I have been absent from Brit Expats for a while as I returned to the UK after living in the US for many years. Just browsing the forums and I came across your post about the programme.

I have caught quite a bit of it while working. I work in a care home so whilst taking care of residents in their rooms I am a captive audience to whatever they are watching.;)

The programme Wanted Down Under grabbed my attention because of my life in the US and how long I was away from the UK. I agree with you entirely when you say the people that are choosing to move based on a one week visit to Oz are underestimating how much they will miss friends and relatives. It's family and friends that brought me back to UK in the end because I wanted them more than my nice lifestyle in the US.

In the US I had a nice house on 3 acres of land, a well paid (stressful) job and pretty much not much of a life other than work and taking care of the house and the many cats we adopted.

I am back in the UK now living at my daughters, working in a low paid job because I haven't been able to find an office job. I have been back a year. The one thing I realised is that no matter how big or nice your house is, or how well paid you are, or how gorgeous the weather is, or how much cheaper certain things are, or how much further your money goes, at the end of the day if you don't have family and friends ( I mean friends who are from the same country, who have the same background, who think alike and know what you are talking about ) to share it with it gets old in the end and you are left with the decision of whether to stay where you are, or uproot your whole life again to return to the UK.

I don't see how anyone can make such a huge life changing decision after spending 1 week in a country. But if you want to give it a go, then do it, but be prepared to pay a price. And not just financially.

100% agree. :) I am glad you are so happy back home!

Budawang Jan 29th 2012 6:56 am

Re: Does anyone watch "Wanted Down Under"?
 
I saw it for the first time on Youtube. The opening sequences are straight out of a Tourism Australia commercial which is a bit off-putting. However, the show seems quite factual and hard-headed, focusing on how much things cost. I saw the show with the nurse and freelance photographer. It was unsurprising to see their initial enthusiasm - better wages, better weather, bigger houses and brighter prospects. However, I couldn't help feeling how many tough times they will have when the reality of being far from family and friends really sinks in. It takes a lot of guts to move half way round the world.

Pollyana Jan 29th 2012 8:48 pm

Re: Does anyone watch "Wanted Down Under"?
 
If you search the Aus forum you'll find threads and posts by some of the families who have appeared in the series and in other similar ones. We've had a lot of people on here in the past who've been on one programme or another. The show is always heavily edited, so what you see is what makes good TV - not necessarily a reflection of reality!

brits1 Jan 30th 2012 8:09 am

Re: Does anyone watch "Wanted Down Under"?
 

Originally Posted by ukintexas (Post 9862458)
It's a program from the UK (I watch via UKnova.com), about UK couples/famililes looking at making the move to Oz. The program takes them over there for a week to look at houses, jobs, lifestyle etc.

Well, it drives me nuts! I'm addicted to watching it (Lord knows why!), but some of the families are just disaster relocations waiting to happen. I wish the program would allow them to talk to all walks of expats - those that have made the move and loved it, those that have made it and hate it, those that loved it for a bit and then returned home etc etc.

It just puts them into a bubble of sea, sand and sunshine (whilst completely playing on emotions with family clips from the UK saying don't leave!). But the thing that really gets me - can you see I'm on a roll?! - is that the people looking at the move talk about the "bubble" of sea, sun etc and how much the scenery is lovely and the BBQs will be great etc but what they don't get is the fact that those things aren't that great without friends and family around you. I want to scream at the TV to those famililes that have a really strong community/family connection in the UK that it's those things that are important - not the other things that can so easily seduce us.

Yes, I made the move and yes I've enjoyed most facets of it BUT I entirely underestimated the missing of relatives and friends and when I see people about to do the same, it makes me sad/mad/irritated etc!

Ok, rant over............anyone else watch it??


I watched it first time when over in the U.K on a visit a few years ago (we now live in the U.K) I turned it on half way through the programme and thought wow....I actually started to feel homesick for Aus...lol...joking...but remained glued to the programme, then towards the end and this couple were ooiinnngg and aaarrrrriiinnnnggg about the home they were being shown (was a 70's home so oldish to me by then) but it had 3 bedrooms and an ensuite...not quite the norm. then in the U.K and also the local High School, it all looked glossy etc but then they informed the couple of the area which was in W.A...Perth and I was amazed because (and I am not a snob) I would (and I knew of others who would of felt the same if they had watched this programme who knew the area) not have stepped my pinky toe into that area let alone to buy. These programmes are wrong and thats why most new migrants arrive in their new countries expecting everything to fall at their feet...jobs,homes,schools etc for most its just not like that. We were lucky when we migrated, although not knowing a soul and never visited Australia before things were a lot different to now. Yes these programmes should come with a health warning lol..

Budawang Jan 30th 2012 8:12 am

Re: Does anyone watch "Wanted Down Under"?
 
I saw another episode which took a couple from the Shetland islands to Queensland. Apparently the lady loved the Shetland islands. What were the producers thinking when they sent them to Queensland? Wouldn't Tasmania have been a better choice?

brits1 Jan 30th 2012 8:14 am

Re: Does anyone watch "Wanted Down Under"?
 

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma (Post 9870596)
Hello.
I have been absent from Brit Expats for a while as I returned to the UK after living in the US for many years. Just browsing the forums and I came across your post about the programme.

I have caught quite a bit of it while working. I work in a care home so whilst taking care of residents in their rooms I am a captive audience to whatever they are watching.;)

The programme Wanted Down Under grabbed my attention because of my life in the US and how long I was away from the UK. I agree with you entirely when you say the people that are choosing to move based on a one week visit to Oz are underestimating how much they will miss friends and relatives. It's family and friends that brought me back to UK in the end because I wanted them more than my nice lifestyle in the US.

In the US I had a nice house on 3 acres of land, a well paid (stressful) job and pretty much not much of a life other than work and taking care of the house and the many cats we adopted.

I am back in the UK now living at my daughters, working in a low paid job because I haven't been able to find an office job. I have been back a year. The one thing I realised is that no matter how big or nice your house is, or how well paid you are, or how gorgeous the weather is, or how much cheaper certain things are, or how much further your money goes, at the end of the day if you don't have family and friends ( I mean friends who are from the same country, who have the same background, who think alike and know what you are talking about ) to share it with it gets old in the end and you are left with the decision of whether to stay where you are, or uproot your whole life again to return to the UK.

I don't see how anyone can make such a huge life changing decision after spending 1 week in a country. But if you want to give it a go, then do it, but be prepared to pay a price. And not just financially.

I agree, you have to sometimes take a chance in life to live and sometimes you just have to give it a go just to nip that bud, the best things in life are free.....happiness, friendship and family....the rest is a bonus.

sallysimmons Jan 30th 2012 12:05 pm

Re: Does anyone watch "Wanted Down Under"?
 
I've watched it a few times and the thing that struck me was how unappealing most of the houses were. I guess it's the Australian style of living but it does nothing for me. And I was wondering if they had considered the huge bugs that would be crawling around that shiny open plan kitchen :lol:

The other thing that struck me is what others have said - it's painful to see people making that decision if you made it years ago and came to regret being away from family and friends. It's not to say that those people will react the same way of course, but there's more to an international move than having the initial courage. There's also how you feel twenty years later when the novelty has worn off and you're in middle age. And no TV show can help you understand that.

HighSpeedGrandma Jan 30th 2012 12:29 pm

Re: Does anyone watch "Wanted Down Under"?
 

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9873476)
I've watched it a few times and the thing that struck me was how unappealing most of the houses were. I guess it's the Australian style of living but it does nothing for me. And I was wondering if they had considered the huge bugs that would be crawling around that shiny open plan kitchen :lol:

The other thing that struck me is what others have said - it's painful to see people making that decision if you made it years ago and came to regret being away from family and friends. It's not to say that those people will react the same way of course, but there's more to an international move than having the initial courage. There's also how you feel twenty years later when the novelty has worn off and you're in middle age. And no TV show can help you understand that.


Agreed. Exactly. The longer you are away the harder it is to return too. You build more and more of a life. At the end of the day only you know whether that new life is better or makes you more complete than your life in the UK.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:57 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.