Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Do you have to pay VAT on your goods if you return within in a year

Do you have to pay VAT on your goods if you return within in a year

Old May 17th 2012, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

sarah.h is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you have to pay VAT on your goods if you return within in a year

Hi we are planning to go back to the UK in June, Shipping company told me that if we return within in 12 months then you have to pay tax.
Old May 18th 2012, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do you have to pay VAT on your goods if you return within in a year

We went back within 4 months and did not. Though I did get a phone call from the shippers saying customs wanted a letter from me explaining why we had shipped out and back in such a short amount of time. And if we had anything new that we had bought overseas. We would have had to pay tax on anything we had bought back that we'd bought new in Australia.

They were probably very amused at my letter ranting about my mother in law lol But we got no bill for taxes and didnt look like anything had been opened.
Old May 18th 2012, 12:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarah.h
Hi we are planning to go back to the UK in June, Shipping company told me that if we return within in 12 months then you have to pay tax.
Stuff you took with you - no.

Anything you bought while you were out there - possibly. It's either 6 months or 12 months that you are supposed to have owned something in order to avoid import tax, I can't remember which.

In practice, unless you've bought a dozen iPads, they usually don't care. Things like clothes and other essentials it's definitely not an issue, unless you have a suitcase full of Levi's.
Old May 20th 2012, 6:29 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Sarah Hope you are OK and everything is organised for your return. Our container arrived 3 weeks ago, having lasted just 7 months in Canada as you know. No tax to pay as it was mostly goods we took over there, however we have brought back some furniture and electrical goods but as they are over 6 months old again no tax to pay.
Good luck, we are all fine, just waiting for hubby to return next month.
Take care