British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   do I need to worry about NOT having paid England taxes? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/do-i-need-worry-about-not-having-paid-england-taxes-726222/)

britcanuck6 Jul 25th 2011 11:40 am

do I need to worry about NOT having paid England taxes?

Hey All,

Moving back to jolly ole England real soon!!!

Do I need to worry not having paid taxes, etc in England for over 20 years??

Also, do I need to worry if this will affect my impending claims to Jobseekers allowance & rental allowance??

Any & all info will be appreciated.

Cheers everyone ;)

Tahiti_Bound Jul 25th 2011 1:37 pm

Re: do I need to worry about NOT having paid England taxes?

Originally Posted by britcanuck6 (Post 9517442)
Hey All,

Also, do I need to worry if this will affect my impending claims to Jobseekers allowance & rental allowance??

Cheers everyone ;)

Hi

You probably only need to worry about taxes in the UK if you have earned money in the UK that you have not paid taxes on while you have been away ...

But your post does not give us much to go on!

Tahiti

dave99 Jul 25th 2011 3:32 pm

It might be worthwhile asking what your current pension stands at, they can do an assesment and send you the details once your back as you wont have been making any NI contributions.

This is something I have bene a bit worried about to

aries Jul 27th 2011 10:52 am

Originally Posted by britcanuck6 (Post 9517442)
Hey All,

Cheers everyone ;)

A good question. This week while looking on the internet for a flat to buy in England, I saw one which stated that only UK tax payers would be considered. So why is my cash being discriminated against? :confused:

nun Jul 28th 2011 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by dave99 (Post 9517964)
It might be worthwhile asking what your current pension stands at, they can do an assesment and send you the details once your back as you wont have been making any NI contributions.

This is something I have bene a bit worried about to

From your post I'm assuming you're a UK citizen who grew up in the UK.

When you leave the UK to live in another country you should file a P85 to tell HMRC of you status. If you are not resident in the UK and have no income or investments there you won't be liable to UK tax.

When you go back to the UK you'll have to let the relevant authorities know your new residency status and then benefits, NHS etc will be awarded on that basis.

Getting a state pension forecast is a good thing to do, but if you live outside the UK you have the option to pay voluntary Class 2 NI payments. These add to your contribution years for state pension calculations and are a great deal. Also find out what canadian benefits you are entitled to like pensions etc.