Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Do electrical items from Canada work in the UK

Do electrical items from Canada work in the UK

Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

R2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud of
Default Do electrical items from Canada work in the UK

Whilst still in Canada, we tried to get info on which of our Canadian electrical items would work back home.
In the end we decided just to take as much as we had and hope for the best.

Heres how they worked out :

TV.....for this we had to get a transformer for the voltage and a set top box as it wasn't digital ready, and amazingly enough it worked ! Sounds like Battersea Power station at the back of it, but we don't care. Our TV was less than a year old and we weren't prepared to leave it behind.

Same with the surround sound system, only a transformer required to make it work,

Computer : just needed new cables, and switched the voltage switch over at the back.

Lamps : All we did was change the plugs. Even the bulbs are the same here.

Digital Piano : Just bought a regular socket adaptor for this...BINGO

We didn't take white goods though, so can't comment on those, but we were so pleased that we didn't have to start from scratch with everything
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

audreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to all
Default Re: Do electrical items from Canada work in the UK

I wonder if anyone in Canada has found bayonet light bulbs? I shipped lamps out from the UK and can't use them as can only find screw in bulbs. *frustrating* In UK you can get both styles. I'll probably ditch the lamps anyway on the return as I have found after shipping things you realise you don't really want a lot of it anyway!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R2D2 returns
Whilst still in Canada, we tried to get info on which of our Canadian electrical items would work back home.
In the end we decided just to take as much as we had and hope for the best.

Heres how they worked out :

Lamps : All we did was change the plugs. Even the bulbs are the same here.

Digital Piano : Just bought a regular socket adaptor for this...BINGO

We didn't take white goods though, so can't comment on those, but we were so pleased that we didn't have to start from scratch with everything
What about the difference in voltage...isn't Canada 120v? Surely if you plug them directly into 240v they will blow.

Originally Posted by audreyrose23
I wonder if anyone in Canada has found bayonet light bulbs? I shipped lamps out from the UK and can't use them as can only find screw in bulbs. *frustrating* In UK you can get both styles. I'll probably ditch the lamps anyway on the return as I have found after shipping things you realise you don't really want a lot of it anyway!
Sorry I'm not really answering your question but we were amazed a couple of months ago when buying light bulbs in the UK...many are screw fitting now.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

audreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to all

ha ha I think this post sums up the immigration experience...mundane things like bulbs and voltage (which i never thought about in my life before) become these huge challenges. It's like being a child and learning all over again. This is something people back home don't realise, that every little detail is a challenge..you don't simply hit the ground running in a new country, you have to re-learn everything.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by audreyrose23
This is something people back home don't realise, that every little detail is a challenge..you don't simply hit the ground running in a new country, you have to re-learn everything.
Yeah it's more like hit the ground in a crumpled heap pick yourself up, then dust yourself off and learn to walk all over again
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:23 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What about the difference in voltage...isn't Canada 120v? Surely if you plug them directly into 240v they will blow.

Sorry I'm not really answering your question but we were amazed a couple of months ago when buying light bulbs in the UK...many are screw fitting now.
The transformers take the voltage down, so they dont blow.....I bought 2 8 ft xmas trees while in Canada, complete with lights and they were fine here with a transformer, my problem was raising the ceiling so they fitted in
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

R2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud ofR2D2 returns has much to be proud of

With the lamps, just pop 240v bulbs in instead of the Canadian 120v and change the plug, plus 3 amp fuse and away you go
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
The transformers take the voltage down, so they dont blow.....I bought 2 8 ft xmas trees while in Canada, complete with lights and they were fine here with a transformer, my problem was raising the ceiling so they fitted in
I know but the OP didn't say anything about transformers...that's why I asked. What was the problem...surely you could have cut a hole in the ceiling.

With the lamps, just pop 240v bulbs in instead of the Canadian 120v and change the plug, plus 3 amp fuse and away you go
Interesting...what about the piano...surely you can't just plug that in?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Yep, with a plug adaptor.
As long as your cables have a voltage adaptor that takes 100 to 240v (ie that black rectangular box you see on laptop leads for example) then it'll take voltage within that range. Just needed the socket adaptor so we can plug it in.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:09 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

I know but the OP didn't say anything about transformers...that's why I asked. What was the problem...surely you could have cut a hole in the ceiling.

Nar we just bent the point....which was good... the angel actually looked like she was flying
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yep, with a plug adaptor.
As long as your cables have a voltage adaptor that takes 100 to 240v (ie that black rectangular box you see on laptop leads for example) then it'll take voltage within that range. Just needed the socket adaptor so we can plug it in.
Exactly...it either has to be dual voltage or you need a transformer because of the difference in voltage.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:09 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

How much were the transformers? We're definitely taking some things back and plan to use transformers, but I thought they were expensive.

I think our computer monitors will need transformers. They're good ones we bought recently, so they'll go back. I'd like to take our cappuchino maker, but I think that takes a lot of power so it'd need a big transformer.

Interesting about lamps. I didn't know that. Or that you can get screw in bulbs. Thanks! Mind you, there aren't many I want to take. Most of them we bought to "stage" our house. Not our taste, but they did the job.

I have an electronic keyboard I might take. It doesn't have one of those boxes on the cable. I wonder if I could get a new cable.

Anyway, thanks for great info. It's got me thinking!

Any other hints about moving back from Canada -- please send.

Bev
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:24 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by Bevm
How much were the transformers? We're definitely taking some things back and plan to use transformers, but I thought they were expensive.

I think our computer monitors will need transformers. They're good ones we bought recently, so they'll go back. I'd like to take our cappuchino maker, but I think that takes a lot of power so it'd need a big transformer.

Interesting about lamps. I didn't know that. Or that you can get screw in bulbs. Thanks! Mind you, there aren't many I want to take. Most of them we bought to "stage" our house. Not our taste, but they did the job.

I have an electronic keyboard I might take. It doesn't have one of those boxes on the cable. I wonder if I could get a new cable.

Anyway, thanks for great info. It's got me thinking!

Any other hints about moving back from Canada -- please send.

Bev
Dont forget Bev the voltage in the UK is stronger then in Canada....so you need the transformer to lower the voltage for Canadian electricals. The transformer OH got were around £60 for 2, but you can pay upto £60 for
one. We bought 3 plug adapters to fit the Canadian plugs so we can plug straight into the transformer....
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:42 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
Dont forget Bev the voltage in the UK is stronger then in Canada....so you need the transformer to lower the voltage for Canadian electricals. The transformer OH got were around £60 for 2, but you can pay upto £60 for
one. We bought 3 plug adapters to fit the Canadian plugs so we can plug straight into the transformer....
Good point about plug adapters. Do you know the power of those transformers for L30? What do you use them for?

Thanks,

Bev
Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:57 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by Bevm
Good point about plug adapters. Do you know the power of those transformers for L30? What do you use them for?

Thanks,

Bev
If i knew what L30 was i might be able to tell you or at least find out
Maybe R2D2 knows

My son runs his Canadian bought WII off the transformers weve got. We bought the adapters from Argos 3 for £6.99.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.