Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Old Jun 4th 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I've always cringed when I've heard Howard (or anyone else for that matter) use the non-existent word "normalcy". Apparently coined by an early 20th C US president, but I forget which one. Obviously the guy had never heard of the word "normality"
The earliest citation of the word "normalcy" in the Oxford English Dictionary goes back to the mid 19th century.
It's definitely a word, and the citations show it's been used in written (and therefore spoken) English in the US for some time. Also notice the latest (2000) citation from Australia.

Funny thing, the NZ Herald frequently uses words that are considered "slang" or "colloquialisms" by the OED in their writing. I frequently look them up because I'm not familiar with them.

Sorry to get off topic! I like to look up words.
Maybe some Aussies and NZers want to move to the UK to get away from all the slang?!

normalcy, n.
Chiefly U.S.
= NORMALITY n. 1a.

1857 C. DAVIES & W. G. PECK Math. Dict. 386 If we denote the co-ordinates of the point of contact, and normalcy, by x´´ and y´´. 1893 Nation 30 July 47/1 Believers..in the mathematical normalcy of the female mind. 1920 W. G. HARDING in F. L. Allen Only Yesterday (1931) ii. 41 America's present need is not heroics but healing; not nostrums but normalcy; not revolution but restoration. 1929 G. N. CLARK in S.P.E. Tract XXXIII. 417 If..‘normalcy’ is ever to become an accepted word it will presumably be because the late President Harding did not know any better. 1939 John o' London's Weekly 9 June 369/1 That insistent normalcy of men who cannot afford to permit themselves to be thrown off balance. 1951 M. MCLUHAN Mech. Bride 47/1 Professor Kinsey's surveys, with their economist-like normalcy charts. 2000 Canberra Times 6 June 1/1 We would like them to leave, have the hostages released and return all arms so we can bring some normalcy back to our lives.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 8:41 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by matildaskye
Funny that because whenever we went somewhere on hol even whilst living in Scotland and returned 'home' to Skye people were always keen to hear about where we'd been. Not to mention how interested people were to hear about Australia in general and what it was like living there. People even wanted to know about London as I'd lived there briefly before moving up north. Not here though.

Most of it comes from my own family. They are very very Australia focussed and have travelled extensively throughout Australia (they go on long treks with their friends every year or so). They think it's okay to bore me to tears with tales of their trips (although tbh I am initally interested to hear about places that are new, or even places I've been to as a kid) yet walk away if I mention Scotland. I'm not saying it's wrong per se (altho it's rude), it's just frustrating not to be around people interested in the things I'm interested in. Perhaps if Europe was next door to Australia people here would have more of an interest in that sort of travel (rather than the 'hitch up yer caravan and roll up yer swag lets go sleep in the dirt and eat burnt sausages)...>sigh< I shouldn't get mad at the poor things...if they'd had the chance to travel there like I had they'd probably be the same as me.
But highlanders are very kind and caring people and they have time for others its not the same as living in a big city in Scotland. I would jump at living in Skye or somewhere up north but it depends on jobs really.

x
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
But highlanders are very kind and caring people and they have time for others its not the same as living in a big city in Scotland. I would jump at living in Skye or somewhere up north but it depends on jobs really.

x
hate to disagree,but.............glasgow people are the nicest people in the world,i'm not from glasgow by the way........
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:16 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

x
Originally Posted by fitz
hate to disagree,but.............glasgow people are the nicest people in the world,i'm not from glasgow by the way........
I'm half-Glaswegian half-Sgitheanach so I've got both bases covered
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mackinnon
I'm half-Glaswegian half-Sgitheanach so I've got both bases covered
, jammie bugger. lol
Old Jun 5th 2007, 4:44 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fitz
Actually Glasweigans are nice but highlanders are nicer, Edinburgh folk (don't ask)
Old Jun 5th 2007, 6:50 pm
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Actually Glasweigans are nice but highlanders are nicer, Edinburgh folk (don't ask)
At least other commonwealth countries like Ghana, Zimbwabe,Uganda no longer have Queen Elizebeth II shown on their currencies. These commonwealth countries are more free and independent than Australia. Even to work in US, Australians must follow the same H1B procedure.Nothing special there too!!!
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza
At least other commonwealth countries like Ghana, Zimbwabe,Uganda no longer have Queen Elizebeth II shown on their currencies. These commonwealth countries are more free and independent than Australia. Even to work in US, Australians must follow the same H1B procedure.Nothing special there too!!!
Whats that got to do with the price of eggs?
Old Jun 6th 2007, 8:50 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer
The earliest citation of the word "normalcy" in the Oxford English Dictionary goes back to the mid 19th century.
It's definitely a word, and the citations show it's been used in written (and therefore spoken) English in the US for some time. Also notice the latest (2000) citation from Australia.

normalcy, n.
Chiefly U.S.
= NORMALITY n. 1a.

1857 C. DAVIES & W. G. PECK Math. Dict. 386 If we denote the co-ordinates of the point of contact, and normalcy, by x´´ and y´´. 1893 Nation 30 July 47/1 Believers..in the mathematical normalcy of the female mind. 1920 W. G. HARDING in F. L. Allen Only Yesterday (1931) ii. 41 America's present need is not heroics but healing; not nostrums but normalcy; not revolution but restoration. 1929 G. N. CLARK in S.P.E. Tract XXXIII. 417 If..‘normalcy’ is ever to become an accepted word it will presumably be because the late President Harding did not know any better. 1939 John o' London's Weekly 9 June 369/1 That insistent normalcy of men who cannot afford to permit themselves to be thrown off balance. 1951 M. MCLUHAN Mech. Bride 47/1 Professor Kinsey's surveys, with their economist-like normalcy charts. 2000 Canberra Times 6 June 1/1 We would like them to leave, have the hostages released and return all arms so we can bring some normalcy back to our lives.
And if you go to this weblink at otech/edu and scroll halfway down the page till you reach "warren harding and normalcy 1921-23, you will discover that my claim is infact true. Harding coined the term adn is infact considered to have been a slip of the tongue. It was given credibility as a word simply because the president had uttered it and it quickly became in vogue. Much the sam as modern slang develops creedence though also not actually bonefide words of the contemporary English language.

http://www.octech.edu/icourses/his/h...tures/1920.htm
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
And if you go to this weblink at otech/edu and scroll halfway down the page till you reach "warren harding and normalcy 1921-23, you will discover that my claim is infact true. Harding coined the term adn is infact considered to have been a slip of the tongue. It was given credibility as a word simply because the president had uttered it and it quickly became in vogue. Much the sam as modern slang develops creedence though also not actually bonefide words of the contemporary English language.

http://www.octech.edu/icourses/his/h...tures/1920.htm

If that's true, then the Oxford English Dictionary, the most authoritative historical dictionary of the English language, has a fictitious 1857 quotation from a mathematics dictionary! And there's the 1893 quotation too...! The quotation acribed to Harding in the dictionary is from a written source, although that might be a transcription of a speech.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_English_Dictionary

http://www.oup.com/online/oed/

I highly recommend Simon Winchester's "The Professor and the Madman."
The book is known in Britain as "The Surgeon of Crowthorne."
Excellent book, just finished rereading it, coincidentally.
I also have it as a book on CD, which includes an conversation between Simon Winchester and John
Simpson, the current chief editor of the OED.

Again, sorry to get off topic!

Last edited by The Weezer; Jun 6th 2007 at 11:35 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 9:47 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Originally Posted by matildaskye
You guys don't know how good you have it - at least, amidst all your troubles, you have the good ol' BE forum!!! I'm jealous that my kind have not got anything of this ilk up and running. Are there no Aussies wanting to head to the UK??? Oh, there are backpackers heading there, but I don't care about them. I've been there, done that (got 6 million postcards) and am now trying to go back permanently

I want to talk to people who are in the same boat, with the same visa issues, the same family probs (ie: my Aussie family think I am stark raving mad to want to depart the sunshine for all that ice and cold and Britishness) and won't let me speak a word about my hopes and plans...And all the British people I meet over here are so besotted with Australia that they don't want to talk about the UK.

Are there any Aussies out there in the same boat who know of a secret forum land where we all get together and whisper how much we don't like living in Oz and want to go back to Britain? I need to talk to like-minded people because everyone else thinks I am (loopy).

So, where are you all????
I got WHM-UK rejected on my Australian Passport.If you are Australian then the visa rejection is your fate.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 11:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I got WHM-UK rejected on my Australian Passport.If you are Australian then the visa rejection is your fate.
Not necessarily, there are thousands of Aussies with UK working holiday visas.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 7:23 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I don't get it...I didn't get my WHM-UK rejected.

Most of the Glaswegians I met were great, but they were on Skye so maybe the Highland air had made them nicer than they would've been in the city??? I prefer the rural/remote places in Scotland and Oz for the very reasons you've mentioned - people care. Still, not in my small town in Oz. But I'm learning there are people who like to talk about travel, and people who don't. People who like the UK, and people who don't. What annoys me are the people who dislike the UK and say all that pom-bashing stuff when they've never been within coo-ee of the place!! ARGH! Still, I've done it myself - I was like that about the US. Then I went there so now I can complain with evidence, lol!! Just kidding, will have to go back and try it again sometime. After being on this forum for a while I'm beginning to see that it's usually not the country or it's inhabitants that have a problem, but the person passing through...
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:59 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

And just look how fast their economies are operating? High inflation is good thing right

And who needs security or law and order? Just forget about those things like utility bills.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 10:30 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Well I'll be stuffed with the rough end of a pineapple, I'd never heard of this phenomenon before, it looks like there has been a lot of research on the subject.
Would explain why I felt like I'd come home when I first visited Australia. I was born and raised in the UK, but my family's Australian (and country Queenslanders, at that) ... six generations back on my dad's side. It's funny how some places can make you feel at ease, and others cold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.