Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all
Default Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

hi there,i used to visit skye frequently with my family and dogs,loved it,the scenery is awsome,beats anything perth has to offer,however, as much as i liked to holiday there, i think i would be bored shitless living there, much the same as im completely bored out of my nut living in perth {australia}.
i'll be moving back to scotland in october,hope you get your move.
have attached some pics of skye.

ps.i'm assuming skye is the island you're talking about {i might be wrong}
Attached Thumbnails Do Aussies want to move to the UK?-skye-oct-2003-032.jpg   Do Aussies want to move to the UK?-skye-oct-2003-043.jpg   Do Aussies want to move to the UK?-skye-oct-2003-044.jpg   Do Aussies want to move to the UK?-skye-oct-2003-017.jpg   Do Aussies want to move to the UK?-skye-oct-2003-052.jpg  

Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fitz
hi there,i used to visit skye frequently with my family and dogs,loved it,the scenery is awsome,beats anything perth has to offer,however, as much as i liked to holiday there, i think i would be bored shitless living there, much the same as im completely bored out of my nut living in perth {australia}.
i'll be moving back to scotland in october,hope you get your move.
have attached some pics of skye.

ps.i'm assuming skye is the island you're talking about {i might be wrong}
Ahhhh

lovely
Spent my 18 th there, love it.
A nice pint in the Sligachan after a trip up Sgur nan Gillean
Agree I'd be bored living there though.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 8:56 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Hell no! I was in the UK for 3 years (WHV and then student visa to try stay longer, thwarted by discovery I was expectin! ). Stopped off on Skye to meet up with a local and didn't spend longer than a few weeks at a time off the island for the rest of my time in the UK. Aside from when I was living at home growing up, it's the longest I've ever spent in one spot. I adored the place, and although every so often I would tire of it and the small town life (and leave in a huff), it was never long before I started to get the fever to be back there.

I lived Kyleakin for a while (the backpacker's hub, as LP call it. As I came there as a backpacker it had to be done) then moved up to Portree, where I stayed for a long time. Taught at the school briefly, managed the hostel for a year, studied...oh, and drank a bit more, lol! I was rarely bored. And now that I've been back in Australia 2 years I can assure you the boredom I may have felt fleetingly on Skye was NOTHING compared to the drudgery of existence I feel here. And of course, now that I've left Skye all I can think about are all the millions of cool things I didn't do and could have when I was there...

Although I love the place, it feels a little like my hometown - somewhere I wouldn't move back to until I was older and ready to settle down. In the meantime I want to get more work and life experience elsewhere (albeit in Scotland), then eventually head back, buy the little ruined wash house/cottage on Broadford Bay (on the road out past the pier to Irishmen's bend, passed the Old Corry), renovate it and stay there til they have to cart me out in a box!

It's not for everyone and I'm glad, otherwise you'd all be up there crowding me I spoke to a mad old guy in a rainsoaked bus shelter in Kyle one day who reckoned he has seen research proving that memories could be passed along through the genes. I'm not sure about how true that is, but I do know that I now understand the Indigenous people in Oz and other places who talk about belonging to the land and being connected to places and landscape. I never, ever felt that in Australia (and sure as hell don't feel it now. The dry and the desert and the sun alienate me - they make me feel tired, angry and a little bit cabin feverish), but I felt instantly connected in Scotland, particularly the islands, before I even knew that I had ancestors from there (5 gens ago John Macdonald was born in Portree, he begat many and they begat me, lol!).

Anyway, I should stop dithering as I know I am starting to teeter on the brink of madness and sarahjane will edit her comment on me being down to earth...
Old Jun 1st 2007, 9:00 am
Wanderer

saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Oh just wanted to add that I was in Portree in Oct 2003 (that's the date on fitz's photos). Did you stay in Portree? I hope you didn't get crap service if you stayed with us!!! <- this is me behind the reception desk I read a comment on a travel forum once by a Canadian girl who stayed in my hostel and complained about how rude the staff were AND IT WAS US!! How embarrassing...
Old Jun 1st 2007, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by matildaskye
Oh just wanted to add that I was in Portree in Oct 2003 (that's the date on fitz's photos). Did you stay in Portree? I hope you didn't get crap service if you stayed with us!!! <- this is me behind the reception desk I read a comment on a travel forum once by a Canadian girl who stayed in my hostel and complained about how rude the staff were AND IT WAS US!! How embarrassing...
hi matildaskye,every time i went to skye i stayed in chalets or a bungalow
in staffin, near the slipway, across the road from the shop in staffin.
it was usually raining, but hell you can't have everything.

one time i was there i saw barbara streisand and her husband james brolin,
HONESTLY! no bullshit,they were site seeing around the island,i was speechless
Old Jun 1st 2007, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It's not for everyone and I'm glad, otherwise you'd all be up there crowding me I spoke to a mad old guy in a rainsoaked bus shelter in Kyle one day who reckoned he has seen research proving that memories could be passed along through the genes. I'm not sure about how true that is, but I do know that I now understand the Indigenous people in Oz and other places who talk about belonging to the land and being connected to places and landscape. I never, ever felt that in Australia (and sure as hell don't feel it now. The dry and the desert and the sun alienate me - they make me feel tired, angry and a little bit cabin feverish), but I felt instantly connected in Scotland, particularly the islands, before I even knew that I had ancestors from there (5 gens ago John Macdonald was born in Portree, he begat many and they begat me, lol!).

Anyway, I should stop dithering as I know I am starting to teeter on the brink of madness and sarahjane will edit her comment on me being down to earth...

Well I'll be stuffed with the rough end of a pineapple, I'd never heard of this phenomenon before, it looks like there has been a lot of research on the subject, Who knows. Maybe I should be annoyed at my long line of London ancestors, that may have caused me to have unreasonable draw to what most sensible and thinking people would call an inferior lifestyle. Unlike most on this part of the Forum, it's definitely a draw of Place rather than People for me. I'm still going to stick with my goal of going each year, once I retire though

Heres something worth reading.

http://www.thechiclinic.co.uk/id18.html Re inherited memory research.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:17 pm
Wanderer

eek, well i won't be lining up for the pineapple stuffing, and i think the whole phenonema (?) is a bit far fetched for me, but does make interesting pub talk, aye? I guess the hard part is distinguishing what is inherited memory and what we have picked up subconsciously as kids or on the telly. I know I have a few 'memories' from childhood that are probably just made up memories based on photos and my mum's stories.

Still, there's always that uncanny side - my youngest brother, for example, was about 3 when my dad was killed and my family really don't speak that much about my dad. Yet my brother (now almost 20), is so much like my dad (as I recall, and as my dad's parents/siblings and other friends recall) its quite spooky. He sounds like him, looks like him, has all the same interests and even abilities that one would expect to be passed on through years of parental training, yet my wee bro didn't have that. People who've not seen my brother since he was a wee kid are always stunned at how much like my dad he is.

I know the chalets in Staffin! Phew, Staffin, what a strange place! Only there a couple times - a bunch of us were bored in Portree one day so we hired a car and drove round Skye trying to take roads we'd not been down before...and accidentally drove too far down the Staffin slipway and nearly lost the car!! Saw surf breakers on Staffin beach...quite spectacular and we were well chuffed when we got back to Portree. Guess that's another thing to like about the place - not that big but always something/someone new to discover!
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:18 pm
Wanderer

and the barbara streisand thing is ringing a few bells. do you remember what year it was?
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Anyway, I should stop dithering as I know I am starting to teeter on the brink of madness and sarahjane will edit her comment on me being down to earth...[/QUOTE]

I do relate to all this , My grandparents live in Grantown-on-spey and my aunt lives in nethybridge, morayshire. Although I dont think i would live there permanently, as brought up near glasgow, I loved going up on bank holiday, high days and long weekends, to whatever meeted and greeted us, a wild storm or snowy capped cairngorm or watching the sun on river spey and the little old men fishing, fresh air and all those lovely tones of the hills. It was a real tranquil feeling when we visited and always felt well humble or nostalgic in a way. There is something about the highlands and a little spark that makes you feel warm even on the coldest of days, like an adrenaline burst. Even madonna and Ashley judd got married there, they must have felt or saw something too.I hope you get your wee cottage in skye one day.

sj x
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:36 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

eek, well i won't be lining up for the pineapple stuffing, and i think the whole phenonema (?) is a bit far fetched for me, but does make interesting pub talk, aye? I guess the hard part is distinguishing what is inherited memory and what we have picked up subconsciously as kids or on the telly. I know I have a few 'memories' from childhood that are probably just made up memories based on photos and my mum's stories.

And that is the difference! You will be able to broach the subject at the pub and people will actually discuss it. Instead of getting that look and then the conversation being steered quickly (by a male of course) to something less controversial like sport or how stupid women and other races are.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 12:47 pm
Wanderer

*frustrated sigh* YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Thank God, I thought it was me!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 1:38 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

*frustrated sigh* YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Thank God, I thought it was me!
and we grew up here.... Imagine how frustrating it must be for someone who has just arrived.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicecat
and we grew up here.... Imagine how frustrating it must be for someone who has just arrived.

Last edited by birdynumnum; Jun 3rd 2007 at 1:52 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 5:24 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you know, I used to get so mad at Aussies who were herded up to "my" island on tour buses to get plastered in the pubs, rip the plants out of local gardens, shag the local boys and puke all over the hostel facilities...and I was mad when I got home and not one Aussie, family, friend or whatever, asked me about the places I'd seen overseas (naaaaah, why'd yar wannar go over there when we've got it all here maaaaaaaate? :curse or just glazed over if I started raving about Scotland...

I think that very general, it's happens to me all the time I come back from somewhere and no one is interested at all.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 11:26 am
Wanderer

Funny that because whenever we went somewhere on hol even whilst living in Scotland and returned 'home' to Skye people were always keen to hear about where we'd been. Not to mention how interested people were to hear about Australia in general and what it was like living there. People even wanted to know about London as I'd lived there briefly before moving up north. Not here though.

Most of it comes from my own family. They are very very Australia focussed and have travelled extensively throughout Australia (they go on long treks with their friends every year or so). They think it's okay to bore me to tears with tales of their trips (although tbh I am initally interested to hear about places that are new, or even places I've been to as a kid) yet walk away if I mention Scotland. I'm not saying it's wrong per se (altho it's rude), it's just frustrating not to be around people interested in the things I'm interested in. Perhaps if Europe was next door to Australia people here would have more of an interest in that sort of travel (rather than the 'hitch up yer caravan and roll up yer swag lets go sleep in the dirt and eat burnt sausages)...>sigh< I shouldn't get mad at the poor things...if they'd had the chance to travel there like I had they'd probably be the same as me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.