Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Old May 29th 2007, 12:00 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Geez, what a rant I had last night, lol! There was amusic festival on over this past weekend on the island where I used to live. Everyone I ever met was at it and just got so MAD!

I'm in the bloody Aussie desert at the moment but moving back to near Brissy in July. Bit depressing as thought my next move would be back to Scotland, but at least I have a plan now. One more year an if there's no job then I'm paying my way to study in Scotland, use Fresh Talent and stay the extra 2 years and hopefully will then stop being such a depressing git!!
Old May 29th 2007, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matildaskye
Geez, what a rant I had last night, lol! There was amusic festival on over this past weekend on the island where I used to live. Everyone I ever met was at it and just got so MAD!

I'm in the bloody Aussie desert at the moment but moving back to near Brissy in July. Bit depressing as thought my next move would be back to Scotland, but at least I have a plan now. One more year an if there's no job then I'm paying my way to study in Scotland, use Fresh Talent and stay the extra 2 years and hopefully will then stop being such a depressing git!!
Oh no,being in the desert cant help you...
Spose Brissy'll be a step towards civilisation.
I really feel for you Matilda. Least we all have access to Uk easily.
Where theres a will and all that. You sound very determined so you'll get there by hook or by crook no doubt
Old May 30th 2007, 1:43 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

These links here are for Aussie expats, although you do need to register to read the forums:

http://www.gumnut.com/pub/login.cfm?page=pub/index.cfm ('the pub with no name')

http://www.coolabah.com

http://www.coolabah.com/oz/ozindex.cfm

Hope this helps!
Old May 30th 2007, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicecat
Because 98% of the Australian public would never even question living here and thinking it is anything but God's own country. That would be unAustralian!!!

The Aussies that do think differently are all enjoying their exciting lives overseas!!
I agree!

I am forever hearing the expression "unaustralian".

What is all that about then? Does anybody know what it means?
Old May 30th 2007, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
I agree!

I am forever hearing the expression "unaustralian".

What is all that about then? Does anybody know what it means?

I'll have a bash at explaining that one, After 27 years here, I'd say the best I can come up with and I'd say I'm fairly close to the mark. "Not taking advantage of those around you, particuarly people you work with and freinds"

It's more an attempt to differentiate themselves (ourselves ?) from Americans than anything else.
Old May 30th 2007, 6:47 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'll have a bash at explaining that one, After 27 years here, I'd say the best I can come up with and I'd say I'm fairly close to the mark. "Not taking advantage of those around you, particuarly people you work with and freinds"

It's more an attempt to differentiate themselves (ourselves ?) from Americans than anything else.
I am going to be slightly less generous and say it is a desperate attempt to adopt a cultural identity. Like saying 'mateship' is an Australian characteristic where actually it is a universal ideal. It is typical of the cultural cringe in Australia that people can only try and point out what is 'unAustralian' rather than what actually IS Australian.
Old May 30th 2007, 7:09 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone does something bad then they are being "Un-Australian"

It is "Un-Australian" to do bad things.

"Un-Australian" is bad.

Anything that is not Australian is bad.

I think the Ozzie right-wingers took a shining to the use of the word "un-American" by the Yanks.

I would expect that about 50% of Australia cringes when they hear this word being used, if they understand the connotations that come with it.
Old May 30th 2007, 7:18 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matildaskye

If you're planning university level study I have a tip for you that will save you money and actually even give you some!. You just enrol at uni and complete your first semester here but after you have enrolled put your claim in for austudy AND see your campus student exchange co-ordinator for placement in the UK for a year. You will get austudy while in UK, credits off your degree (which you can later transfer to the UK on a p/t or f/t basis) and you won't pay for the study as it not only will be billed at the OZ uni local rate instead of UK international rate, but you can also defer payment through HECS!

At the begining of the 2nd semester of your study in UK you speak to your UK course co-ordinator about options to continue your study there.
Old May 30th 2007, 7:23 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mackinnon

"Un-Australian" is bad.

I think the Ozzie right-wingers took a shining to the use of the word "un-American" by the Yanks.

I would expect that about 50% of Australia cringes when they hear this word being used, if they understand the connotations that come with it.
I've always cringed when I've heard Howard (or anyone else for that matter) use the non-existent word "normalcy". Apparently coined by an early 20th C US president, but I forget which one. Obviously the guy had never heard of the word "normality"
Old May 30th 2007, 9:19 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I pursued the uni exchange program idea for a while last year but as I've already completed my BA/BEd, I'd likely only be doing another year of study for a Masters and mostly the exchange programs don't fit. Hard to explain, but I have looked into it.

Do you know, I used to get so mad at Aussies who were herded up to "my" island on tour buses to get plastered in the pubs, rip the plants out of local gardens, shag the local boys and puke all over the hostel facilities...and I was mad when I got home and not one Aussie, family, friend or whatever, asked me about the places I'd seen overseas (naaaaah, why'd yar wannar go over there when we've got it all here maaaaaaaate? :curse or just glazed over if I started raving about Scotland...

But now, I just don't mention it. And I'm no longer mad at Australia, or the Aussies or any of their idiosyncrocies (great spelling for an English teacher!) or their bullshit. In my head, I'm an alien. I feel like I'm a tourist, and so the behaviour of the locals is their concern, not mine. They are what they are, and English/Scottish people are what they are...and all the rest. If we were all the same...well, I shudder to think. What a boring place the world would be!

That's my 'chill out' philosophy. If you want the rageful stuff, ask me about UK Immigration!! :curse:
Old May 30th 2007, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

megansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=alicecat;4840795]Because 98% of the Australian public would never even question living here and thinking it is anything but God's own country.! [QUOTE]

My hubs is from the UK but he thinks like this!!

He dosnt have a good word to say about the UK & it pisses me off so much!

Anyway, you can rant to us as much as you want.

It dont matter to us where you come from as long as you love talking about the UK!!
Old May 30th 2007, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mackinnon

"Un-Australian" is bad.

When I have heard the "un-Australian" phrase mentioned it is said with absolute seriousness, and with great patriotic vigour. Usually on the current affair type news programmes, and often from politicians or other public figures.

I haven't heard it from any everyday Aussies.
Old May 30th 2007, 12:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Oh no,being in the desert cant help you...
Spose Brissy'll be a step towards civilisation.
A very small step though!
Old May 30th 2007, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A very small step though!
Yes but the journey of a 1000 miles and all that...
Old May 31st 2007, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

I love your posts matilda, they are awesome, and very down to earth . You are right i feel like life here is like the truman show or groundhog day or the braidy bunch and all a bit too cheesy. I too miss all those things you mentioned about scotland and its inspiring to know that others pine for the same simple things.

sj

[QUOTE=matildaskye;4841242]
My sister actually referred to our time in Scotland as 'not real life' and still talks about it that way, whereas to me, being in Australia is not real. I feel like I'm living in a tv show or something - everything is like a dodgy stage set and the people are all actors (and none of them believable). I have been back here 2 years last month and am slowly losing my mind. Things certainly were NOT peachy for me in the UK (in fact they were the opposite: this is another one of my Mum's arguments for why I shouldn't go back) yet my feelings don't change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.