Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Old May 28th 2007, 8:32 am
  #1  
Wanderer
Thread Starter
 
saoghalbeag's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
Posts: 493
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

You guys don't know how good you have it - at least, amidst all your troubles, you have the good ol' BE forum!!! I'm jealous that my kind have not got anything of this ilk up and running. Are there no Aussies wanting to head to the UK??? Oh, there are backpackers heading there, but I don't care about them. I've been there, done that (got 6 million postcards) and am now trying to go back permanently

I want to talk to people who are in the same boat, with the same visa issues, the same family probs (ie: my Aussie family think I am stark raving mad to want to depart the sunshine for all that ice and cold and Britishness) and won't let me speak a word about my hopes and plans...And all the British people I meet over here are so besotted with Australia that they don't want to talk about the UK.

Are there any Aussies out there in the same boat who know of a secret forum land where we all get together and whisper how much we don't like living in Oz and want to go back to Britain? I need to talk to like-minded people because everyone else thinks I am (loopy).

So, where are you all????
saoghalbeag is offline  
Old May 28th 2007, 8:41 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Wigan > Perth > Wigan
Posts: 1,233
wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

I dont know of any forums for Aussies but at least you'll find many people in this section who mind talking to you about going back to Britain. Its nice to see that some Australians would also prefer to go and live there.
wafc is offline  
Old May 28th 2007, 8:57 am
  #3  
Jedi Princess
 
kiwi_child's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 2,089
kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Well I'm Kiwi by birth, Pom by descent, and Aussie by naturalisation. I spent most of my life in NZ, a year in the UK back in the late 80s, and the last decade and a bit in OZ.

If the std of living in NZ was what it used to be like, I'd be back there in a shot. The only thing keeping me in OZ is that I have a limited income but one that keeps my head above water. Not exactly a great reason for staying but an honest one. But the time is coming when it simply won't be enough.

The idea of moving to the UK has many attractions: culture, easy hols to Europe, visiting quaint villages and having a pint or three of good beer in a pub with atmosphere, the lovely countryside, more opportunities (though at my age I have concerns as I hear there is a bit of age discimination agst those over 40 in the employment stakes).

I can't stand nor relate to the obsessive ego of OZ and how sport (in particular AFL) is God, nor how difficult it is to develop real friendships with Australians that goes beyond the superficial level. Aussie women really are a bunch of insincere air kissers IMO and the guys feel threatened it would seem if a woman actually talks about anything other than kids, food and recipes. Though an ability to converse in footy speak is a definite plus and highly sought after

Thats my rant. So yeah, UK is certainly appealing in comparison to OZ.

Last edited by kiwi_child; May 28th 2007 at 9:01 am.
kiwi_child is offline  
Old May 28th 2007, 9:00 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Back home :)
Posts: 1,706
birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Welcome and g'day

Yes we are all very lucky indeed to have this site, only found it recently and am so glad I did.

Ummm, well not an Ozzie although got the old passport...
but you will find people here in the similarish boat of thinking/deciding etc to move to UK.
As well as people saying they love it here, there will be comments that are about stuff people are not into over here so we may sound like a bunch of moany old gits, (please dont get offended)

You'll find alot of empathy though.
Just cos you're not a brit wanting to go home, you're in the same boat really so good job you found here



Originally Posted by matildaskye
You guys don't know how good you have it - at least, amidst all your troubles, you have the good ol' BE forum!!! I'm jealous that my kind have not got anything of this ilk up and running. Are there no Aussies wanting to head to the UK??? Oh, there are backpackers heading there, but I don't care about them. I've been there, done that (got 6 million postcards) and am now trying to go back permanently

I want to talk to people who are in the same boat, with the same visa issues, the same family probs (ie: my Aussie family think I am stark raving mad to want to depart the sunshine for all that ice and cold and Britishness) and won't let me speak a word about my hopes and plans...And all the British people I meet over here are so besotted with Australia that they don't want to talk about the UK.

Are there any Aussies out there in the same boat who know of a secret forum land where we all get together and whisper how much we don't like living in Oz and want to go back to Britain? I need to talk to like-minded people because everyone else thinks I am (loopy).

So, where are you all????
birdynumnum is offline  
Old May 28th 2007, 9:09 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Back home :)
Posts: 1,706
birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Well I'm Kiwi by birth, Pom by descent, and Aussie by naturalisation. I spent most of my life in NZ, a year in the UK back in the late 80s, and the last decade and a bit in OZ.

If the std of living in NZ was what it used to be like, I'd be back there in a shot. The only thing keeping me in OZ is that I have a limited income but one that keeps my head above water. Not exactly a great reason for staying but an honest one. But the time is coming when it simply won't be enough.

The idea of moving to the UK has many attractions: culture, easy hols to Europe, visiting quaint villages and having a pint or three of good beer in a pub with atmosphere, the lovely countryside, more opportunities (though at my age I have concerns as I hear there is a bit of age discimination agst those over 40 in the employment stakes).

I can't stand nor relate to the obsessive ego of OZ and how sport (in particular AFL) is God, nor how difficult it is to develop real friendships with Australians that goes beyond the superficial level. Aussie women really are a bunch of insincere air kissers IMO and the guys feel threatened it would seem if a woman actually talks about anything other than kids, food and recipes.

Thats my rant. So yeah, UK is certainly appealing in comparison to OZ.

Kiwi child - I loved your rant.

I've actually met some really sound women up where I am thank f*** but by and large, on the whole, the men........you should've heard the conversations I had the other evening when I went out - honestly it was like talking to imbeciles who'd lost most of the brain cells they may have once had. I know theres some top chaps out here in Oz but in my experience (of quite a few years) they are the exception rather than the rule. I dont want to live somehwere where half the population I cant relate to and have no wish to. I miss normal men (amongst other things)
You come from one of the most beautiful places on earth by the way, stole my heart when I went there.
Hope you make it back to blighty
T
x
birdynumnum is offline  
Old May 28th 2007, 9:40 am
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
ozzieeagle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,526
ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Originally Posted by matildaskye
You guys don't know how good you have it - at least, amidst all your troubles, you have the good ol' BE forum!!! I'm jealous that my kind have not got anything of this ilk up and running. Are there no Aussies wanting to head to the UK??? Oh, there are backpackers heading there, but I don't care about them. I've been there, done that (got 6 million postcards) and am now trying to go back permanently

I want to talk to people who are in the same boat, with the same visa issues, the same family probs (ie: my Aussie family think I am stark raving mad to want to depart the sunshine for all that ice and cold and Britishness) and won't let me speak a word about my hopes and plans...And all the British people I meet over here are so besotted with Australia that they don't want to talk about the UK.

Are there any Aussies out there in the same boat who know of a secret forum land where we all get together and whisper how much we don't like living in Oz and want to go back to Britain? I need to talk to like-minded people because everyone else thinks I am (loopy).

So, where are you all????
My 22 year old daughter is basically in your mode, except she now resides in the UK. She was born and raised here in the Northern Subs of Melbourne. I dont think she had a major hankering to live in the UK as such, but when she realised she could further her career by factors in moving to London (in much the same way as people from t'north move to London) and the ease and family support (albeit with people she barely knew) she would have. She moved there, sporting full dual citizenship with no idea how she would fare. 20 months on she loves her life in London, has no plans to return and is on one hell of a good career path.

Conversely my 24 year old daughter wouldn't go to the UK if she had a 100 pct free and expense paid trip. She knows little of the place and really doesnt want to know about it either.
ozzieeagle is offline  
Old May 28th 2007, 9:46 am
  #7  
Back in the UK
 
alicecat's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Australia-UK-Australia-UK
Posts: 366
alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Me! But you know all about me from the teaching forum!
alicecat is offline  
Old May 28th 2007, 9:53 am
  #8  
Back in the UK
 
alicecat's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Australia-UK-Australia-UK
Posts: 366
alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Kiwi child - I loved your rant.

I've actually met some really sound women up where I am thank f*** but by and large, on the whole, the men........you should've heard the conversations I had the other evening when I went out - honestly it was like talking to imbeciles who'd lost most of the brain cells they may have once had. I know theres some top chaps out here in Oz but in my experience (of quite a few years) they are the exception rather than the rule. I dont want to live somehwere where half the population I cant relate to and have no wish to. I miss normal men (amongst other things)
You come from one of the most beautiful places on earth by the way, stole my heart when I went there.
Hope you make it back to blighty
T
x
I grew up in Australia and I have always resented the way the men usually are. I sometimes believe they are mentally homosexual. I also have never really been able to relate to many Aussie women. I have some great Aussie female friends from way back (about two) but if you don't scrapbook, quilt, play netball and put up with your husband being a drunken imbecile most of the time you are pretty much lost socially here. I miss dry, witty, clever conversation!!!
alicecat is offline  
Old May 28th 2007, 9:56 am
  #9  
Back in the UK
 
alicecat's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Australia-UK-Australia-UK
Posts: 366
alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Originally Posted by matildaskye
You guys don't know how good you have it - at least, amidst all your troubles, you have the good ol' BE forum!!! I'm jealous that my kind have not got anything of this ilk up and running.

Because 98% of the Australian public would never even question living here and thinking it is anything but God's own country. That would be unAustralian!!!

The Aussies that do think differently are all enjoying their exciting lives overseas!!
alicecat is offline  
Old May 28th 2007, 9:59 am
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Back home :)
Posts: 1,706
birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Originally Posted by alicecat
I miss dry, witty, clever conversation!!!
You took the words right out of my mouth
birdynumnum is offline  
Old May 28th 2007, 10:18 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 118
Red Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Originally Posted by alicecat
Because 98% of the Australian public would never even question living here and thinking it is anything but God's own country. That would be unAustralian!!!

The Aussies that do think differently are all enjoying their exciting lives overseas!!
totally agree lol
Red Pops is offline  
Old May 28th 2007, 11:14 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 136
Pearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant future
Default Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Although we live in Oz now we had half a dozen Aussie friends when we lived in London in our circle. And none of them would dream of wanting to move back here, which amazed us at the time. They loved life in England, the weather (they were Victorians and Queenslanders) the cosmopolitan excitement of London, the career opportunities, the euro holidays, the fashions, the social side and the good old English humour.

I once read that over 40,000 Aussies live in the UK (or was it London) and the Aussie goverment were worried that the 'brain drain' was going to the UK and not the other way around - in my previous job I dealt with loads if Aussies and Kiwi's in Architecture and they were going no where for the foreseeable future atleast. Not sure how true those figures were but the ones we know all seem to love it and want to stay. Good on em!
Pearl&Wal is offline  
Old May 28th 2007, 11:28 am
  #13  
Back in the UK
 
alicecat's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Australia-UK-Australia-UK
Posts: 366
alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Originally Posted by Pearl&Wal
Although we live in Oz now we had half a dozen Aussie friends when we lived in London in our circle. And none of them would dream of wanting to move back here, which amazed us at the time. They loved life in England, the weather (they were Victorians and Queenslanders) the cosmopolitan excitement of London, the career opportunities, the euro holidays, the fashions, the social side and the good old English humour.

I once read that over 40,000 Aussies live in the UK (or was it London) and the Aussie goverment were worried that the 'brain drain' was going to the UK and not the other way around - in my previous job I dealt with loads if Aussies and Kiwi's in Architecture and they were going no where for the foreseeable future atleast. Not sure how true those figures were but the ones we know all seem to love it and want to stay. Good on em!

Well the Aussie government are certainly not doing anything to attract them back here. Very few opportunities for professionals, bad pay and humiliating red tape and selection processes that seem to discount anyone who hasn't solidly been in Australia for their whole career. Couple that with a culture that does not prize intelligence and it is no wonder they don't want to come back.
alicecat is offline  
Old May 28th 2007, 11:48 am
  #14  
Wanderer
Thread Starter
 
saoghalbeag's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
Posts: 493
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

lol, would have to quote all of the above, they all hit the nail on the head!! I've already made some enemies (Aussie males!) in another thread about...Aussie males being ignorant and boring and turning on any woman with half a brain. I HATE FOOTBALL unless it's played with a round ball, and then it's a different story ('mon the 'gers!!).

You are probably right about the Aussies who love the UK being over there already. I'm just cursed with needing a WP.

It's funny, because I travelled over to the UK with my younger sister and a friend of ours. Both of them enjoyed it but didn't spend the full 2 years of their WHV there (I overstayed mine by extending my stay as a student and lost a lot of money ), would never consider going back, certainly not permanently (I think about nothing else, all day, every day) and both have got Aussie boyfriends who are into football, drink all day every day and can't stand me because I don't want to live in Australia.

My sister actually referred to our time in Scotland as 'not real life' and still talks about it that way, whereas to me, being in Australia is not real. I feel like I'm living in a tv show or something - everything is like a dodgy stage set and the people are all actors (and none of them believable). I have been back here 2 years last month and am slowly losing my mind. Things certainly were NOT peachy for me in the UK (in fact they were the opposite: this is another one of my Mum's arguments for why I shouldn't go back) yet my feelings don't change.

I suppose it's the old cliche: the second I got there (Scotland), I was HOME. Even without any family connections or memories, I felt like there was something there. I feel more connected to the land - to the smells, the way the land lies - the hills and the greenness and the navy blue sea. The wee white cottages, the smell of peat as I walk through the streets with the icy rain on my face, the lights in the windows, the salt in the air...the voices in the streets...and OH the pubs

The things that's frustrating is that I know how long it took me to settle in last time, and I know I have to go through that again, and I just want to get started!!! I'm tired of twiddling my thumbs here, wondering if I should put myself through filling out another job application that's going to get rejected because I'm not there and need a work permit...:curse::curse:

Oh, and I want my friends back. I want friends FULL STOP. Just can't seem to click with anyone here and I guess my desire to be somewhere else makes me sound like I don't like them or their country. Well, my country, blah!
saoghalbeag is offline  
Old May 28th 2007, 11:58 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Back home :)
Posts: 1,706
birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Aussies want to move to the UK?

Originally Posted by matildaskye
lol, would have to quote all of the above, they all hit the nail on the head!! I've already made some enemies (Aussie males!) in another thread about...Aussie males being ignorant and boring and turning on any woman with half a brain. I HATE FOOTBALL unless it's played with a round ball, and then it's a different story ('mon the 'gers!!).

You are probably right about the Aussies who love the UK being over there already. I'm just cursed with needing a WP.

It's funny, because I travelled over to the UK with my younger sister and a friend of ours. Both of them enjoyed it but didn't spend the full 2 years of their WHV there (I overstayed mine by extending my stay as a student and lost a lot of money ), would never consider going back, certainly not permanently (I think about nothing else, all day, every day) and both have got Aussie boyfriends who are into football, drink all day every day and can't stand me because I don't want to live in Australia.

My sister actually referred to our time in Scotland as 'not real life' and still talks about it that way, whereas to me, being in Australia is not real. I feel like I'm living in a tv show or something - everything is like a dodgy stage set and the people are all actors (and none of them believable). I have been back here 2 years last month and am slowly losing my mind. Things certainly were NOT peachy for me in the UK (in fact they were the opposite: this is another one of my Mum's arguments for why I shouldn't go back) yet my feelings don't change.

I suppose it's the old cliche: the second I got there (Scotland), I was HOME. Even without any family connections or memories, I felt like there was something there. I feel more connected to the land - to the smells, the way the land lies - the hills and the greenness and the navy blue sea. The wee white cottages, the smell of peat as I walk through the streets with the icy rain on my face, the lights in the windows, the salt in the air...the voices in the streets...and OH the pubs

The things that's frustrating is that I know how long it took me to settle in last time, and I know I have to go through that again, and I just want to get started!!! I'm tired of twiddling my thumbs here, wondering if I should put myself through filling out another job application that's going to get rejected because I'm not there and need a work permit...:curse::curse:

Oh, and I want my friends back. I want friends FULL STOP. Just can't seem to click with anyone here and I guess my desire to be somewhere else makes me sound like I don't like them or their country. Well, my country, blah!
Matilda...

didint click it was your post when I replied...read some of your posts b4 but thought you were a new person here.

Whereabouts in Oz are you?
birdynumnum is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.