Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Divorce - me in UK, he's in US

Divorce - me in UK, he's in US

Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:06 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Divorce - me in UK, he's in US

Hi, all.

For those who aren't familiar with my background, here's the basics:

Me, UK citizen, married US hubby, was granted permanent residency, got major homesickness and marriage aso collapsed. We've been separated about a year and a half now, and I've been back in the UK for about 8 months now. We've discussed our marriage, and have both agreed to divorce.

Now, this will be very amicable as we've no children or property to contest, and from what I've read so far, in Florida, a simplified dissolution of marriage would be our best bet. The trouble is, I can't seem to find anything at all on what to do if one of us (me) no longer lives in the US, or even if we can get a simplified divorce with me here.

Has anyone ever done this? We aren't fussed on who applies for it, but I think that if he applies, he's the only one who needs to show at the final hearing, which would help me, as I can't afford to go over there.

Neither of us has much money, so we're trying to do it in the most cost effective way possible.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Divorce - me in UK, he's in US

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Hi, all.

Me, UK citizen, married US hubby, was granted permanent residency, got major homesickness and marriage aso collapsed. We've been separated about a year and a half now, and I've been back in the UK for about 8 months now. We've discussed our marriage, and have both agreed to divorce.

Now, this will be very amicable as we've no children or property to contest, and from what I've read so far, in Florida, a simplified dissolution of marriage would be our best bet. The trouble is, I can't seem to find anything at all on what to do if one of us (me) no longer lives in the US, or even if we can get a simplified divorce with me here.

Has anyone ever done this? We aren't fussed on who applies for it, but I think that if he applies, he's the only one who needs to show at the final hearing, which would help me, as I can't afford to go over there.

Neither of us has much money, so we're trying to do it in the most cost effective way possible.

hi kate, this website > http://www.completecase.com/ was advertised on Good Morning America and backed by the BBB, handy apparently for straight forward cases as you suggest yours might be....guess you could email them and see if they are able to do across the pond divorces...good luck
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:09 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

My youngest brother was in a similar position - his wife filed for divorce even though he had gone back to the UK. He actually didn't know about it until a few years later though!

It can be done either by you or him.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Hi, all.

Hi Kate. I have no advice for you but I just wanted to pop in and say hello to you. I'm sorry about the divorce but I sort of figured it may go this way for you when you decided to move back.

I hope you are settling back in ok....and getting your life back to some semblance of normal.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:10 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scout
Hi Kate. I have no advice for you but I just wanted to pop in and say hello to you. I'm sorry about the divorce but I sort of figured it may go this way for you when you decided to move back.

I hope you are settling back in ok....and getting your life back to some semblance of normal.
Hiya! Yeah, things are going ok. Got a full time job that I like, put back on some much needed weight, great to be with the fam again. Hope all's ok with you!

Thanks, Flyergirl & Trubit, your input's appreciated.