British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   In dire need of help and advice!!! - UK spouse visa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/dire-need-help-advice-uk-spouse-visa-920020/)

anniedanielle Dec 7th 2018 11:10 pm

In dire need of help and advice!!! - UK spouse visa?

I moved to the U.S.A on a fiancée visa and married my husband (who is American) last year. We now have an almost three month old daughter.
If I went back to the UK now, I would not be able to find a job, even full time, earning £18,600 or above because I don’t have any higher education qualifications. And who even has £62,500 sitting in their bank?!? We would have no savings to go on, either.

We simply cannot stay here in the U.S because it’s got to a point where we will be unable to pay our bills in the next few months as we’ll need to move to a two bedroom apartment and we cannot afford it. Finances here are next to nothing, so staying here is an absolute no option.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP.

I have no idea what route to take, and I am breaking down. I feel like there is none and that we will unwillingly have to say I love you and part ways and I don’t want to do that at all, and I especially don’t want to do that with our daughter involved!
There must be another way?!?

SanDiegogirl Dec 7th 2018 11:50 pm

Re: In dire need of help and advice!!! - UK spouse visa?

With such a young child I don't see that it is imperative to move to a two bedroom apartment - more convenient yes, but in the circumstances not essential at the moment.

Could your husband take a second job to increase his income? Plenty of folks have more than one job to make ends meet.

Have you gone to social services to see if they can offer any welfare/benefits if your current income is very low?

Does your husband have British or European ancestry? parents/ grandparents ? That route offers some options. If not, then, based on the information you have provided your husband cannot move to the UK with you.

verystormy Dec 8th 2018 4:45 am

Have you looked at jobs in the UK? You don't need a degree to earn £18600 a year. It is only £8.95 an hour which is just above minimum wage based on full time 40 hour week.

durham_lad Dec 8th 2018 8:54 am

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 12605735)
Have you looked at jobs in the UK? You don't need a degree to earn £18600 a year. It is only £8.95 an hour which is just above minimum wage based on full time 40 hour week.

I agree. My wife’s niece has just advertised jobs with Virgin Media for customer reps at this level plus my son’s company, Cubic is also advertising similar jobs in their customer service department for similar salaries. No degree required, training provided in both cases.

https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Cubic-Corporation

christmasoompa Dec 8th 2018 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by anniedanielle (Post 12605691)
We simply cannot stay here in the U.S because it’s got to a point where we will be unable to pay our bills in the next few months as we’ll need to move to a two bedroom apartment and we cannot afford it. Finances here are next to nothing, so staying here is an absolute no option.

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a tough time. Having a new baby is never easy and if you've got money worries as well then that's just horrid.

If you're struggling to pay bills in the US then is the same likely to happen in the UK? Just thinking that maybe with your husband giving up his job, and you paying thousands for a visa app and flights, you could be worse off in the end and might be better off staying put?

FWIW, I agree with the above, you could get a job paying you the required amount as it's actually a very low amount in the UK, barely over minimum wage - something like working on a checkout in a supermarket would mean you'd be earning over that. There's no need for further education at all so please don't worry about that.

Best of luck to you.

BristolUK Dec 9th 2018 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 12605735)

Not essential by any means but the last time I read something on this, around half the UK population were earning less than the minimum required even where there are no kids. :(