Different Words

Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:50 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Different Words

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
In medical speech here, I've always heard that referred to as an evacuation.

Damn, I should have kept reading and I would have seen Cindy already beat me to this!
As a former nurse's aide, I had a lot of experience with it.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 3:06 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

What about TP, I have heard it referred to in ads and in mags, and then the next thing is either murder or how to have an orgasm! why do Americans find it sooo had to say toilet paper? Mad,
my boys 4 have the whole difference between restroom/bathroom sorted, me...where's the loo/toilet I just forget and don't get why you can have sex in the city and prudity???
Old Jul 10th 2009, 3:06 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

26 years ago I started my first day in the US office amongst a bunch of people who really didn't want me there.

Working out my first set of complicated international fares with pencil and paper, I made a mistake...

...my second mistake was calling out if anyone had a rubber.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 3:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Here in the United Kingdom a Vacation is strictly considered to be a medical term.....meaning the emptying of the bowels....a bowel movement in other words. Not a wholesome topic of convo admittedly but the American lady did ask.

Well the next time my bowels want a vacation I hope they don't ask me to pay for it.....this bowel vacation thing could start getting expensive
Old Jul 10th 2009, 3:41 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
26 years ago I started my first day in the US office amongst a bunch of people who really didn't want me there.

Working out my first set of complicated international fares with pencil and paper, I made a mistake...

...my second mistake was calling out if anyone had a rubber.
Genius.

I often ask the wife to get me some rubbers and sharpies from her work.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Here in the United Kingdom a Vacation is strictly considered to be a medical term.....meaning the emptying of the bowels....a bowel movement in other words. Not a wholesome topic of convo admittedly but the American lady did ask.
LOL, I'll never be able to use that word again without thinking of this!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
LOL, I'll never be able to use that word again without thinking of this!
Just finished my morning coffee, time for a vacation!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Bill Bryson's "Made in America" is a great read for anyone interested in the American English vs British English debate. He points out that a lot of what Brits think of as Americanisms actually have their roots in 18th and 19th century Britain. In many cases it's British English that has changed, with the supposed Americanism being more true to the roots of the word or phrase. It's a bit of a geeky book, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

He also points out that many words in English have their root in another language. In French the word herb has a silent H. The T in fillet is also silent. American English has retained the French pronunciations whereas British English has altered them. If you are an American having an argument with a Brit about "herb" then ask them how they pronounce the word hour.

I agree with MrEmjoy, (as usual,) that it's only polite to learn the language of your new country, even if it's just a few new words or phrases. We should also enjoy the differences, but it's better to not be judgmental about it or claim any kind of 'original' ground.

My favorite difference is a subtle one, and doesn't necessarily always hold. The adverb "quite". In Britain it's a synonym for "somewhat." In America it's a synonym for "very." This makes for some fantastic misunderstandings, as in "you are quite pretty."

I'm suprised no-one has mentioned fanny yet.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:01 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
I'm suprised no-one has mentioned fanny yet.
well "we" won't, it's the prude thing dontchaknow?
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

We as Brits should definitely make an effort to adopt the dialect of the locals to fit in.... but then we'd miss out on the shrieks when we use a British-ism "Oh your accent is SO cute say something else say something else!"
Old Jul 10th 2009, 12:17 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
If you are an American having an argument with a Brit about "herb" then ask them how they pronounce the word hour.
I'm from Yorkshire...ask me how I pronounce how?

Coming from somewhere that manages to dispense with letters from the start of words I'm quite comfortable with losing them from middle, especially U. I have less trouble with 'different words' than with different spelling of the same word!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by celticgrid
I'm from Yorkshire...ask me how I pronounce how?

Coming from somewhere that manages to dispense with letters from the start of words I'm quite comfortable with losing them from middle, especially U. I have less trouble with 'different words' than with different spelling of the same word!
I once was told after walking into a pub in Yorkshire 'Put wood in th'ole love".
"Pardon?" He was telling me to shut the bloody door. i never got used to big, burly blokes calling me love.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:43 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangemirror
I once was told after walking into a pub in Yorkshire 'Put wood in th'ole love".
"Pardon?" He was telling me to shut the bloody door. i never got used to big, burly blokes calling me love.
If a big burly guy told me to "put the wood in the hole, love", I'd have turned and walked out, figuring it was that kind of bar.

Last edited by another bloody yank; Jul 10th 2009 at 1:49 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

I arrived at a friends house as we were going out to dinner one night. His wife opened the door, and I said "You look very smart tonight". Haha, I had to explain that meant dressed well, and not that she usually looked stupid!!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
If a big burly guy told me to "put the wood in the hole", I'd have turned and walked out, figuring it was that kind of bar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.