Different Words

Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Different Words

Originally Posted by cindyabs
you have to watch these quiet ones. I bow to her superior multitasking, bless her heart!!!!
Yep, busy lady! good for you MsE...keep 'those' posters honest
Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

my Man was talking about driving on the pavement, which confused the hell out of me until I realized He was calling the road the pavement... which er, in the UK means that bit on the side where people walk, which in the U.S is a sidewalk... which seems a much more sensible name

other words we argue over... herbs vs 'erbs.... aluminIUM vs aluminum.... oh and the laughter over my 3yr old son pointing out a "bin lorry" in the street, neither word being understood when a garbage truck went by
Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
How do you make that distinction in the UK if the only word you use is Holiday?
Easy.

"Monday is a holiday!"
vs.
"I'm off on my holidays next week."
Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Madelina
my Man was talking about driving on the pavement, which confused the hell out of me until I realized He was calling the road the pavement... which er, in the UK means that bit on the side where people walk, which in the U.S is a sidewalk... which seems a much more sensible name

other words we argue over... herbs vs 'erbs.... aluminIUM vs aluminum.... oh and the laughter over my 3yr old son pointing out a "bin lorry" in the street, neither word being understood when a garbage truck went by
Be careful of the Aluminum Aluminium one, both words were invented my an English Chemist!! So both are English words!!

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

At the end of the day, who cares? Its irrelevant, the English use a lot of old words, that are not pronounced anything like they read, and so do Americans. Italians have different words too, as do the French, but most of us only speak one language, so cannot ask why?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

my Man was talking about driving on the pavement
"Keep death off the roads"
Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Yeah I love that we have different words and it cause all sorts of laughter and confusion. I really do.
My wife always pisses herself when i mention my "dressing gown'. it does sound a bit ridiculous when you think about. Especially for a guy.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

Be careful not to make a fool of oneself over the Aluminium. Aluminum debate. Both English words, invented by an English Chemist!!

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

Anyway, what does it matter what different words are used? How boring if everything was the same? I'm guessing in France, Italy and many other countries, they use different words to describe different things, good on em I say!!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the United Kingdom a Vacation is strictly considered to be a medical term.....meaning the emptying of the bowels....a bowel movement in other words. Not a wholesome topic of convo admittedly but the American lady did ask.

Edinburgh has many American visitors to the city and I have been asked for directions to "the restroom"......I always think of a bedroom when I hear that word but I do know what Americans mean by it. Why do they call it a "rest" room? You just pop in there, do what you need to do, quick wash and dry and then it's out through the door again smartish...hardly a "rest" is it? As Judi Dench said in the film "Mrs Henderson Presents: "Americans...strange people but very polite!"

Last edited by Lothianlad; Jul 9th 2009 at 10:44 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Here in the United Kingdom a Vacation is strictly considered to be a medical term.....meaning the emptying of the bowels....a bowel movement in other words. Not a wholesome topic of convo admittedly but the American lady did ask.

Edinburgh has many American visitors to the city and I have been asked for directions to "the restroom"......I always think of a bedroom when I hear that word but I do know what Americans mean by it. Why do they call it a "rest" room? You just pop in there, do what you need to do, quick wash and dry and then it's out through the door again smartish...hardly a "rest" is it? As Judi Dench said in the film "Mrs Henderson Presents: "Americans...strange people but very polite!"
The first time an American asked me where the restroom was in London, I started directing them to a restaurant before a colleague intervened.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 12:14 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangemirror
Yeah I love that we have different words and it cause all sorts of laughter and confusion. I really do.
My wife always pisses herself when i mention my "dressing gown'. it does sound a bit ridiculous when you think about. Especially for a guy.
underpants is the one that cracks me up when DH uses it.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 12:17 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard of evacuating your bowels or even an evacuation in that sense. Then that brings to mind refugees and that really, really doesn't bear thinking of.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 12:24 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Aluminum is used a lot where I work - I've gone fully native on that

The double negative - "he didn't do nothing.." so he did do something?

The somewhat positive "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less"

the rest seems to be around the use of language

"I take it personal" - personally
"travel safe" - safely
"my son got bit" - bitten
"real good" - really

Sounds perfectly normal to me now, but when I was last in the UK and accidentally popped out a "real good", everyone looked at me as though I was retarded. Fortunately I just explained that I lived in the US and they seemed to accept it
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

In medical speech here, I've always heard that referred to as an evacuation.

Damn, I should have kept reading and I would have seen Cindy already beat me to this!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:24 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
underpants is the one that cracks me up when DH uses it.
you should call them his thunder gruds..
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:36 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
In medical speech here, I've always heard that referred to as an evacuation.

Damn, I should have kept reading and I would have seen Cindy already beat me to this!
So is that a piss take fail or down the nose fail?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.