Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Different continents but same baggage.

Different continents but same baggage.

Old May 26th 2006, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

SCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really nice
Default Re: Different continents but same baggage.

Originally Posted by Ian12
Just to share the good news, I begin a part time supply job the week after next. Have one on me.

Fantastic news
Old Jun 14th 2006, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SCOTTISH MARK 2
Fantastic news
The work is going well. The money is not great but the location is fantastic - overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The people are friendly and management seem to really value my experience - so half way through week 2 - so far so good. Oh and I have noticed my vocabulary is returning, After so long at home with children I began to think I was going senile in not remembering words. :scared:
Just goes to show - use it or loose it
Old Jun 14th 2006, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, postive news for you, and if the people are great and in a good location, even better for you. Enjoy..
Old Jun 14th 2006, 7:28 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mercedes
This link may or may not be of help you, since the person also is from UK, she may be able to offer some tips/ideas, who knows.

http://www.tracieokeefe.com/

these other links may be of help to you also if you haven't tried them already

www.aasw.asn.au/adobe/about/CPE_appelated.pdf
directory.jayde.com/health_mental_health.html

www.usenature.com/nsw.counselling.htm
www.psychotherapy.com.au/trainingguide_providers.asp
www.somaticpsychotherapy.com.au/
www.sydneywellbeing.com/body-psychotherapy.html
www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/depression/treatments/psych.cfm

for your other half

www.sydney-city-directory.com.au/a-page/accountants.htm
cracker.com.au/sydney/jobs/accounting/search.aspx
jobs.efinancialcareers.com/job-4000000000162283.htm
www.thomasguth.com.au
www.gumtree.com.au/sydney/59/2973859.html

If he is finding it hard to get work with large corporations and sometimes you will find some mangers won't hire anyone better than themselves as they are afraid of losing their job, he may be better to target medium/small size businesses and actually talk to the Managing Directors. Often if they own the company they will be sold more on benefits to what he can do for them. Or alternatively if they can't afford someone on their books full time he could work as a subcontractor for them. Some more food for thought

wrt:
http://www.tracieokeefe.com/

Do some digging around to find out where she got her 'PhD' from.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

WEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ian12
My family and I have been in Australia for 18 months now. We have never felt settled but put it down to difficulties with "in -laws", then getting schooling sorted out for our kids. However because we were finding it difficult to find a suitable rental and because we were lucky enough to have the funds, we decided to buy. In my mind it was to MAKE us commit at least for two or three years. So far thats the plan but it has been HARRRRRRRRRRRRD! Unemployment hit both my partner and I - Accountant and Psychotherapist. No jokes about "go heal thyself" thanks. We wanted out of London beacuse of the noise and the pollution and I wanted a place in the sun. We have the sun and I think the weather is just perfect. I love it. We also left London because we were fed up with the lack of spontaneity. If you wanted to see friends we had to book them three weeks ahead. (Hmmm -- it did seem as if it was us that had the empty spaces in the diary not sure why) People say that London can be a lonely city. Most of the time I was happy - good colleagues and friends but I have no close family (other than my partner and two children) - a couple of cousins I used to see every month or so. Friends - sometimes once a month or three times a year. So yes for us at times London could be a bit lonely. When we first arrived in Australia is was not so much loneliness that hit us as isolation - not knowing anyone. Gradually you get to know people and so a social life evolves. Maybe I am expecting too much after all, 18 months is not long, but we don't have that many friends here or see many people socially and yet we are sociable.

After spending months sending out c.v.'s and spending hours with phones stuck to our ears, the job situation is as dire as ever. We have lived off savings since we arrived. Even when my partner was working for 8 months, it was not enough to cover major bills such as car repairs, pool repairs and getting a gas supply put into the house. I think (naturally?) one starts to think about going back to the London. I was never unemployed but sometimes it was stressful not knowing whether the work was going to dry up or not. It never did but I guess it's common with those of us who are self-employed.

We had a bit better social life in London but not soooooooo much better. We did have money which was kinda nice! We did not have the pool or the house backing onto the national park. Neither did we have two cars, but we did not need them. Would be be happier going back? I keep asking myself that question. At the moment unemployment is talking its toll. if we were both employed we would be happier.

So it leaves us where I started this thread. You can move countries but in the end you are the same person and the chances are that what made you unhappy in the UK will make you unhappy in Australia too.

If you have read this far well done!
Moved to Tasmania last April. No longer working, (no more work stress, thank god), staying at home to support hubby and kids. A bit one dimensional but growing on me. Money very tight, social life nil, conversations with shopkeepers the highlight of almost every day. I have decided to walk the dog somewhere a little more populated just in case anyone fancies a chat. I used to have drunken Body Shop and Virgin Vie parties and live it up on Saturday afternoons with friends, here I have no 'friends' just people who politely say hi at the school gates. But although I am the same person who moved countries, the country I moved to is different. I know I will learn to love the differences and a good honest look at what made me unhappy in Scotland is a great reason the remain optimistic about the future. Im not where I thought I would be 14 months down the line but I will get there. I have happy children and a happy husband, so two out of three aint bad. Stick with it, you have come such a long way to go back to a life, that after a lifetimes work only just measures up to your life now.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:42 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

good to hear about the job front.

Lets hope that you've hit the low point and everything from here is up hill.