Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Did your time overseas have a negative affect on you?

Wikiposts

Did your time overseas have a negative affect on you?

Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:59 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did your time overseas have a negative affect on you?

Did living abroad have a negative impact on you in terms of your attitudes and personality?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did your time overseas have a negative affect on you?

I don't think my 30 years in Oz had a negative effect on me.But it did make me realise where I wanted to be (UK),so I guess thats a positive!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It didnt at one time but it is increasingly so now I am finding. I think it is the lack of freedom and perception of things being beyond your control and that sense of captivity is never a good one for positive emotional outcomes.

I suppose if anything it has confirmed for me what I already suspected but didnt have the confidence to own up to - I am a strong, independent and resourceful woman and I can do whatever I set my mind to.

It has however crystallized for me what I wanted my longer term goals to encompass - achieving them is another matter and so it may also enhance my conflict resolution and compromise skills
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Hampshire - Brisbane - Staffordshire and soon Devon :)
SouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud of

No it didn't, if anything quite the opposite. I reacted negatively to certain events which happened while I was overseas, but that was to do with the circumstances not the location.

My attitude about many things, especially regarding the UK is much more positive now I've experienced living overseas.

How about you?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:43 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SouthernGal_67
No it didn't, if anything quite the opposite. I reacted negatively to certain events which happened while I was overseas, but that was to do with the circumstances not the location.

My attitude about many things, especially regarding the UK is much more positive now I've experienced living overseas.

How about you?
Yes I agree, I think that living in your country of birth you get blase about what there is there, only when you move abroad do you begin to appreciate what was under your nose all the time. Funny to realise that we actually missed the damp days, the fogs, the real seasons, and we have only been back in the UK for 3 months.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by willamos
Did living abroad have a negative impact on you in terms of your attitudes and personality?
Nope, not at all. Made me a much better person. I have seen the light
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

initially no but increasingly yes. this is in part (probably the biggest part) due to my current unhappiness because of where we are staying and our drug dealing dead beat scumbag bogan scum of the earth dole claiming work shy classless very very noisy neighbours and their equally scummy acquaintances doing burn outs outside my garden all hours of the day and night.

listening to endless adverts for erectile dysfunction on the radio, listening to radio presenters using the word w*nker, sh*gging, b*stard, c*ck, sp*rm at 830 in the morning whilst driving my children to school, hearing 'proper' news reporters say "in parliament this avro, Kevin Rudd blah blah".

the heat is picking up, the flies are picking up, the wheely bin stinks to high heaven, there are maggots, ants and silverfish everywhere (including in the kids cornflakes box this morning ), half the day is spent applying sunscreen and aeroguard, its dark at 7pm even though its summer, my fingers are swollen, sweat is running down my back and worst of all - my hair is wilting in this fekin humidity!! but apart from that - I'm not negative at all

Last edited by merleoberon; Nov 11th 2009 at 12:16 am.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:22 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Quite the opposite.

My attitude improved and I grew as a person considerably during my time overseas. Conversely, since I came back in 2006, my attitude has become more negative and I have regressed. Now I am just a grumpy old man.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 2:13 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by merleoberon
initially no but increasingly yes. this is in part (probably the biggest part) due to my current unhappiness because of where we are staying and our drug dealing dead beat scumbag bogan scum of the earth dole claiming work shy classless very very noisy neighbours and their equally scummy acquaintances doing burn outs outside my garden all hours of the day and night.

listening to endless adverts for erectile dysfunction on the radio, listening to radio presenters using the word w*nker, sh*gging, b*stard, c*ck, sp*rm at 830 in the morning whilst driving my children to school, hearing 'proper' news reporters say "in parliament this avro, Kevin Rudd blah blah".

the heat is picking up, the flies are picking up, the wheely bin stinks to high heaven, there are maggots, ants and silverfish everywhere (including in the kids cornflakes box this morning ), half the day is spent applying sunscreen and aeroguard, its dark at 7pm even though its summer, my fingers are swollen, sweat is running down my back and worst of all - my hair is wilting in this fekin humidity!! but apart from that - I'm not negative at all
Move ... and change radio stations or switch the radio off .... or don't switch the radio on in the first place
Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BAY
Move ... and change radio stations or switch the radio off .... or don't switch the radio on in the first place
thank you. your input is most appreciated.

why didnt i think of that?

oh yeah I did .

Last edited by merleoberon; Nov 11th 2009 at 3:24 am.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 4:09 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Quite the opposite.

My attitude improved and I grew as a person considerably during my time overseas. Conversely, since I came back in 2006, my attitude has become more negative and I have regressed. Now I am just a grumpy old man.
Sorry, I beat you to that title
Old Nov 11th 2009, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Nope, not at all. Made me a much better person. I have seen the light
Same for me. It's been a useful learning experience that has given me a different perspective on what's important in life- happiness.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 7:06 am
Banned

Lordy is a jewel in the roughLordy is a jewel in the roughLordy is a jewel in the roughLordy is a jewel in the roughLordy is a jewel in the rough

It has it rid of an itch and made me realise after 2 years in Oz that the UK aint that bad and you make a great life in either Country.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:57 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lordy
It has it rid of an itch and made me realise after 2 years in Oz that the UK aint that bad and you make a great life in either Country.
Mixed bag really-

Positive - renewed job enthusiasm, financial security (for now!), lots of travel and broadend horizons, appreciation of the home country even with its faults (though that may change once I am back)

Negative - constantly living as a visitor is wearing, being away from home and family/friends (8 years now) wearing too.

Overall it has created a much more positive outlook in me, though I feel that may be dependant on continued financial security once I return.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

The only opinions of any value in this thread are those of people that have been in Australia for many years or those who have returned to Britain and been there for many years. We know to disregard the opinions of those raving about how great Australia is when they are only on their second month, and equally those who have been back in Britain for just a few months should also be taken with a pinch of salt. Those that have been back years are really the only ones who can say which they prefer with any real authority. Everyone else is just in the honeymoon phase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.