Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Did your time living abroad change anything in your life

Wikiposts

Did your time living abroad change anything in your life

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 3:07 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did your time living abroad change anything in your life

Originally Posted by northernbird
After years of being away from Canada and now living in Australia I still ask if people will take their shoes off in my home. The crap on shoes scratches my wood floor and my floors stay a lot cleaner for it = less mopping!

I don't think it would harm british school kids either if they were made to learn the national anthem of their country. Not necessarily sing it every morning over the PA system but at least know the words. They may do it in some schools I guess but in our old one before we left they weren't taught it.
Why did you leave Canada NB?
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 5:09 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Why did you leave Canada NB?
Temporary visa unfortunately, we just never got around to applying for PR. We returned to England after 4 years, filled all the forms in and sat back to wait but got offered a job in Australia in the meantime. The plan was to come here just to wait for our visas to come. When the time came we decided we like it here too much and the prospect of winters shovelling snow didn't appeal all that much. Canada and its people will always be special to me and I would have had no hesitation going back there if the Australia opportunity hadn't of reared its head.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in the British Virgin Islands for 2 years, very quiet, no chains, Maccas etc & very few shops. Gave us the chance to step off the treadmill that had been our lives in London & re-evaluate what was important to us. I seriously believe that without this, our marriage would have buckled under the strain. We went back to the UK a much stronger couple.

Didn't stop me stressing badly over the Aus visa process & move though!
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:08 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Temporary visa unfortunately, we just never got around to applying for PR. We returned to England after 4 years, filled all the forms in and sat back to wait but got offered a job in Australia in the meantime. The plan was to come here just to wait for our visas to come. When the time came we decided we like it here too much and the prospect of winters shovelling snow didn't appeal all that much. Canada and its people will always be special to me and I would have had no hesitation going back there if the Australia opportunity hadn't of reared its head.
Glad OZ has worked out for you. It's always interesting hearing other peoples perspective on why they leave Canada.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

mmmmmmm me too !! ate packet after packet when we got back...prawn cocktail, BBQ hula hoops........

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Give me UK flavours any day.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I've found it's made a few changes, I used to love English Bitter, but just can't drink it any more, am now a lager drinker, only problem is that it's so much more expensive to buy any booze in the UK after living in Spain, also I can't eat the flavoured crisps here, much too salty and artificial. Plain aren't much better as the ones I ate in Spain were all cooked in Olive oil. Made by the company who own the Walkers Crisps here in the UK, but they just don't do the ones I like.
I also like my afternoon siesta, and as I'm retired, not some thing I have to give up.
I'd say moving from the UK to the US changed just about everything in my life.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'd say moving from the UK to the US changed just about everything in my life.
Good,bad or just different JG?
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Good,bad or just different JG?
All 3. Although for the first few years it was the last 2.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:54 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ciderman
The fruit and vegetables (and food in general) here in Canada are much larger in size but have a lot less taste and are poorer in quality- always seem damaged on the shelves and go off really quickly.
I miss BC fruit and the fish, especially wild sockeye and halibut. Veg, i agree. Cant beat Irish veg.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 2:01 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Moving overseas:
- Got me out of spiralling debt and on a more secure financial footing
- Enabled me to find a new life partner (wife)
- Brought back my career from the doldrums and a renewed drive to do well
- Enabled me to travel extensively and experience different cultures
- Basically it changed almost everything, in a positive way
Old Oct 1st 2009, 2:22 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

..... But after 8 years of it, I do still miss England. Hows that for a contradiction?