Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Did your time living abroad change anything in your life

Wikiposts

Did your time living abroad change anything in your life

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 4:09 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did your time living abroad change anything in your life

I've found it's made a few changes, I used to love English Bitter, but just can't drink it any more, am now a lager drinker, only problem is that it's so much more expensive to buy any booze in the UK after living in Spain, also I can't eat the flavoured crisps here, much too salty and artificial. Plain aren't much better as the ones I ate in Spain were all cooked in Olive oil. Made by the company who own the Walkers Crisps here in the UK, but they just don't do the ones I like.
I also like my afternoon siesta, and as I'm retired, not some thing I have to give up.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 8:55 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did your time living abroad change anything in your life

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I've found it's made a few changes, I used to love English Bitter, but just can't drink it any more, am now a lager drinker, only problem is that it's so much more expensive to buy any booze in the UK after living in Spain, also I can't eat the flavoured crisps here, much too salty and artificial. Plain aren't much better as the ones I ate in Spain were all cooked in Olive oil. Made by the company who own the Walkers Crisps here in the UK, but they just don't do the ones I like.
I also like my afternoon siesta, and as I'm retired, not some thing I have to give up.
Think you`ll find that the olive oil is just vegetable oil, also I didn`t know a Spanish crisps company owned Walkers?

The siesta is really just appropriate for a warm climate and probably not recommended for a cold climate.

I guess people in the UK, will think you`re really weird if you start putting olive oil and salt on your bread though.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 9:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Think you`ll find that the olive oil is just vegetable oil, also I didn`t know a Spanish crisps company owned Walkers?

Its an American company, Matuato I believe, that own the brands Walkers and Lays, just look at the logo, exactly the same, and it says they are just divisions of the same company.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 9:39 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Its an American company, Matuato I believe, that own the brands Walkers and Lays, just look at the logo, exactly the same, and it says they are just divisions of the same company.
The only link that I can see on the web is that Lays is part of the Pepsico group which is American.

....and yes, the logos of Walkers and Lays are the same.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

nephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the rough

Good for you making it back to the Uk,continue to enjoy your siestas in the afternoon,and maybe nip over to France for your cheap boozez
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

The first thing that springs to mind is that after 8 years in Canada I now make everyone take their shoes off before they come into my house

Oh and of course I makes the kids sing the Canadian national anthem every morning before school
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:05 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
The first thing that springs to mind is that after 8 years in Canada I now make everyone take their shoes off before they come into my house
.....and then make them sit crossed legged on the floor, before bringing the geisha girl in.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:10 am
Concierge

The only link that I can see on the web is that Lays is part of the Pepsico group which is American.

....and yes, the logos of Walkers and Lays are the same.
Walkers crisps are owned by Pepsico, so why can't they bring the Lays brand into the UK, call them walkers as that is the accepted brand name here, but give us the lovely flavours they use outside the UK as well.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

.....and then make them sit crossed legged on the floor, before bringing the geisha girl in.
My OH would like your thinking on that one
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:39 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

yep ,made me insane .
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Living in Canada for six years has given me a greater appreciation for the taste and quality of English food after a recent reconnaissance trip back last week.

The fruit and vegetables (and food in general) here in Canada are much larger in size but have a lot less taste and are poorer in quality- always seem damaged on the shelves and go off really quickly.

Definitely agree with the comment on getting people to take their shoes off when they come to your house. That's something we'll be doing when we're back in the UK.

Apart from that my wife and myself are pretty much the same people- guess that may be one of the reasons we're going back to Blighty. As they say "you can take the man out of England but you can't take England out of the man"
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Wow...where to start? Have spent 6 years in the US and recently moved back to the UK.

Things taste more 'bland' here than in the US - I think everything is so much more salted or sweetened. Probably why I needed my gall bladder removed.

Don't like the thought of offal anymore.. liver and kidneys. Nor lamb. Lost my taste for those completely.

When in the supermarket, I always look disparagingly at the selection of salad dressings. Salad cream doesn't do it for me. I like it, but prefer ranch.

I agree with the fruit and veggie comment. For such a vast country, the prices and quality of produce in the US is very high and very poor generally. And the price of bread is outrageous there!

I do miss the choice and availability of coffee (decaf especially), and the general ease of getting anything at pretty much anytime. Wish stores here would consider opening later.

Having said all that - I've lost close to 30lbs in the 3 months since moving back. Thank goodness I don't live near a chip shop - the smell of that would drive me crazy!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:15 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.

Oh and of course I makes the kids sing the Canadian national anthem every morning before school
After years of being away from Canada and now living in Australia I still ask if people will take their shoes off in my home. The crap on shoes scratches my wood floor and my floors stay a lot cleaner for it = less mopping!

I don't think it would harm british school kids either if they were made to learn the national anthem of their country. Not necessarily sing it every morning over the PA system but at least know the words. They may do it in some schools I guess but in our old one before we left they weren't taught it.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Walkers crisps are owned by Pepsico, so why can't they bring the Lays brand into the UK, call them walkers as that is the accepted brand name here, but give us the lovely flavours they use outside the UK as well.

Give me UK flavours any day.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Hard for to me say because I've lived so many places and am in a mixed culture marriage, so I have influnces that are foreign to me whereever I go. I've gotten to a point where IMO I'm pretty much a citizen of the world, but at the same time my 'Englishness' has become a much more centered part of my life.

I miss loads of things about the UK, but internally there are attitudes, influences and experiences that reside with me and will stay with me for a long time.

There is nothing really that living in Oz has taught me, not in a positive way at least, but I do realise how much I love Mrs Tr1boy as I came back here for her. So that alone has been worth it (just ). I don't belong here, never really have and certainly never will.

But the things I've learnt from living elsewhere have been brilliant and certainly have equipped me much better for adapting to the changes in the UK. But my perspective is different to most people's here I would imagine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.