Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Did not like the UK when living there BUT...

Wikiposts

Did not like the UK when living there BUT...

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

nogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the rough
Default Did not like the UK when living there BUT...

My family and I moved from the UK in 2008 to Qatar for work with the idea of moving to Canada or Australia after a few years here earning good money and living the Expat lifestyle. But living in this country has really opened my eyes to the wonders of the UK, cost of living, having security of work, the rule of law and a whole host of things that I miss now.
I will probably have to stay here for 2 more years for work but I miss the UK and reading the other comments from people desperate to go back really hits home.
My wife loves it here and the children have settled well but I find life here empty with nothing much to do but sit with my friends and drink.
I have made some wonderful friends here and don`t regret our move here as it has opened my eyes with regard to moving to AUS or Canada, but I really want the familiarity of what we know back home.
This is just a rant really but I now know that what I had in the UK was amazing and I cant wait to go home and live a real life again.
Thanks for listening.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 9:30 pm
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all
Default Re: Did not like the UK when living there BUT...

Originally Posted by nogoingback
My family and I moved from the UK in 2008 to Qatar for work with the idea of moving to Canada or Australia after a few years here earning good money and living the Expat lifestyle. But living in this country has really opened my eyes to the wonders of the UK, cost of living, having security of work, the rule of law and a whole host of things that I miss now.
I will probably have to stay here for 2 more years for work but I miss the UK and reading the other comments from people desperate to go back really hits home.
My wife loves it here and the children have settled well but I find life here empty with nothing much to do but sit with my friends and drink.
I have made some wonderful friends here and don`t regret our move here as it has opened my eyes with regard to moving to AUS or Canada, but I really want the familiarity of what we know back home.
This is just a rant really but I now know that what I had in the UK was amazing and I cant wait to go home and live a real life again.
Thanks for listening.
Will that life still be there for you, people move on for work reasons and family reasons?

Carol
Our lives in Scotland most of our good friends live abroad now due to work commitments.
It's the lack of work opportunities in Scotland that drive people away!
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:14 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Some people will always complain no matter where they live

-
Old Nov 24th 2009, 1:58 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

If moving back eventually is what you want, then go for it. Only you know what is right for you.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes you have o move to see what you really want. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:13 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Some people will always complain no matter where they live

-
To complain is OK. To complain and do nothing about it is another story, BUT for some people they get stuck in a situation over which they have no real control. We can at least be compassionate towards them.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Most British expats have probably never heard of these forums, let alone contributed, and it's very difficult to get any idea how many people are happily settled in their new countries with no desire to go back at all. It doesn't work out for everyone of course, and I think these forums do tend to attract a lot of attention from people who are unsettled, miss the UK and feel that they made a mistake. That's to be expected, given their nature, and there are a lot more posts from people who have returned with a sigh of relief than from those who regret returning.

It's very personal and subjective. I think people are often disappointed that the reality of their new country doesn't meet their expectations, it's just too different, and they start to realise just how much the UK really meant to them. Some will return, others are not in a position to do so, and I'm sure there are a lot who spend years longing to go back but eventually come to terms with things and make a new life for themselves.

I was born in the UK, moved to Hong Kong when was I was 21, got married (my wife is British), returned to the UK and emigrated to South Africa a couple of years later. We spent nearly 30 years there - apart from one visit 20 years ago - but my wife came back 3 years ago and decided to stay for family reasons. I joined her in June and, to be very frank, I hate it. I find the weather, the long, dark, nights, the lifestyle and the obsessive "safety and security" regulation depressing. I'm hoping to go back to Africa in January, back to the huge blue skies, the sun, the dust, the space, the sense of freedom and, yes, the realities of corrupt, crime ridden, shenzi Africa. It's home now.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by MartynK
Most British expats have probably never heard of these forums, let alone contributed, and it's very difficult to get any idea how many people are happily settled in their new countries with no desire to go back at all. It doesn't work out for everyone of course, and I think these forums do tend to attract a lot of attention from people who are unsettled, miss the UK and feel that they made a mistake. That's to be expected, given their nature, and there are a lot more posts from people who have returned with a sigh of relief than from those who regret returning.

It's very personal and subjective. I think people are often disappointed that the reality of their new country doesn't meet their expectations, it's just too different, and they start to realise just how much the UK really meant to them. Some will return, others are not in a position to do so, and I'm sure there are a lot who spend years longing to go back but eventually come to terms with things and make a new life for themselves.

I was born in the UK, moved to Hong Kong when was I was 21, got married (my wife is British), returned to the UK and emigrated to South Africa a couple of years later. We spent nearly 30 years there - apart from one visit 20 years ago - but my wife came back 3 years ago and decided to stay for family reasons. I joined her in June and, to be very frank, I hate it. I find the weather, the long, dark, nights, the lifestyle and the obsessive "safety and security" regulation depressing. I'm hoping to go back to Africa in January, back to the huge blue skies, the sun, the dust, the space, the sense of freedom and, yes, the realities of corrupt, crime ridden, shenzi Africa. It's home now.
Exactly, you love SA warts and all, just like some of us love UK warts and all.

Will you be going back to SA alone though
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, which isn't something I'm looking forward to, but we've got through quite a few separations over the last 30 odd years. We can do it again. My wife has a lot of family in the UK, but mine are all long dead, or completely off the radar and I've no particular interest in trying to find them.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Yes, which isn't something I'm looking forward to, but we've got through quite a few separations over the last 30 odd years. We can do it again. My wife has a lot of family in the UK, but mine are all long dead, or completely off the radar and I've no particular interest in trying to find them.
That's a shame, but you have to follow your heart. How you describe UK is how i would describe Perth..and as we say, life would be hell if we all liked the same thing.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
That's a shame, but you have to follow your heart. How you describe UK is how i would describe Perth..and as we say, life would be hell if we all liked the same thing.
Exactly. Follow your star, wherever it leads, or at least try to. You may not get the chance again.

I've never really understood why some people are so negative and critical of others decisions and feelings. I occasionally post on the SA forum, and try to offer balanced and objective opinions, but it's polluted by some sneering and patronising remarks implying that just about anyone with anything positive to say is demented or naive.

If you enjoy living in the UK that's great, and I can understand why people do. If you're unhappy here or in SA, NZ, Oz, the US or wherever, come back or move on if you can. That's really all there is to it.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 4:44 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

The paragraph I have highlighted is really excellent and very insightful. I think I realised I was in trouble driving away from the airport the day we landed in Australia. I just knew somehow that, actually staying in Melbourne and not going back after 4 or 5 weeks, was just going to be too much for me. It was clearly what my OH wanted though and I didn't feel that saying ''sorry, I really can't do this'' was an option. Looking back now, I really wish I had said that. I wish I'd been as strong then as I (hope) I am now. I should really have just followed my heart and stuck to that. I probably also felt like I couldn't do the whole ''I'm off to Australia'' thing with family and friends back home and then just turn around and come straight home again after only a few weeks or months. There can be an element of pride with those things because actually going through with all that takes enormous guts and courage and you have to keep going even when all the nay-sayers are rubbishing your plans. So you feel like you HAVE to stay once you get there.

I realised I was in the really deep s*** when we went home to the UK after two years in Australia for Christmas 2007/2008. It was very clear to me that I was not really settling in Australia; I have spoken to expats who very assuredly tell me that they consider Australia 'home'. I could never feel that way in a million years. How long can you spend living somewhere that you feel slightly awkward and uneasy on a daily basis, where you have to 'try' to feel at home each and every day and where you cannot see any friends or family? It's depressing.

Who knows if I will get home? Kids and a business and an Aussie wife don't make it that straightforward. Who knows what will happen?

I have kind of gotten to the point where I think it's just 'in the lap of the gods', so to speak.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by willamos
The paragraph I have highlighted is really excellent and very insightful. I think I realised I was in trouble driving away from the airport the day we landed in Australia. I just knew somehow that, actually staying in Melbourne and not going back after 4 or 5 weeks, was just going to be too much for me. It was clearly what my OH wanted though and I didn't feel that saying ''sorry, I really can't do this'' was an option. Looking back now, I really wish I had said that. I wish I'd been as strong then as I (hope) I am now. I should really have just followed my heart and stuck to that. I probably also felt like I couldn't do the whole ''I'm off to Australia'' thing with family and friends back home and then just turn around and come straight home again after only a few weeks or months. There can be an element of pride with those things because actually going through with all that takes enormous guts and courage and you have to keep going even when all the nay-sayers are rubbishing your plans. So you feel like you HAVE to stay once you get there.

I realised I was in the really deep s*** when we went home to the UK after two years in Australia for Christmas 2007/2008. It was very clear to me that I was not really settling in Australia; I have spoken to expats who very assuredly tell me that they consider Australia 'home'. I could never feel that way in a million years. How long can you spend living somewhere that you feel slightly awkward and uneasy on a daily basis, where you have to 'try' to feel at home each and every day and where you cannot see any friends or family? It's depressing.

Who knows if I will get home? Kids and a business and an Aussie wife don't make it that straightforward. Who knows what will happen?

I have kind of gotten to the point where I think it's just 'in the lap of the gods', so to speak.
Will, i have asked you this before, but how does your wife feel about you being so unhappy in OZ? is it all one-sided with no compromises?
My OH was happy to stay in OZ and i wasn't. After 2 years of hell i took myself and the kids (who wanted to go home too) back to UK without the OH.
He followed me 6 days later. We returned to Perth for another year, but only to sell up etc...
OH realised what was more important. But i know your wife is Australian so this is different. Do you talk things through?
Old Nov 28th 2009, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Will, as hard as it is to do, I think you have to find some way to get some happiness for yourself. It will be hard to be the man you need and want to be to your family if you can find no middle ground. Pm me any time you need to talk mate. Sometimes it helps....
Old Dec 24th 2009, 4:39 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

I so, so get this. Feeling slightly awkward and so...SNAP. I'm finding this Christmas really hard and I have no energy or spirit for it.....just need to be around people I know and love and really, really make me laugh! In Canada, one should never upset anyone, it's rude to talk politics and/or religion so everything feels very blah. Wonderful seasons (west coast) but no banter makes Canada very empty for me.