Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Did anyone move back to a different area?

Did anyone move back to a different area?

Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:20 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Did anyone move back to a different area?

Just wondering if any of you folks, who've made the huge jump home, moved to a different area than the one you came from?

We originally came from Bromsgrove in Worcestershire but 'if' we go back we'll be heading for Devon. I'm scared silly about starting all over again...again! We will have no friends there and as we all know, making friends when you're older is quite a difficult thing to do. The only people we'll know are the in-laws (who are wonderful but not exactly drinking buddies!).

If you did move back to a different area, did you find it hard to start again? Did you make friends easily? Do you regret not going back to where you came from...if you get my drift?
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

The Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Did anyone move back to a different area?

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Just wondering if any of you folks, who've made the huge jump home, moved to a different area than the one you came from?

We originally came from Bromsgrove in Worcestershire but 'if' we go back we'll be heading for Devon. I'm scared silly about starting all over again...again! We will have no friends there and as we all know, making friends when you're older is quite a difficult thing to do. The only people we'll know are the in-laws (who are wonderful but not exactly drinking buddies!).

If you did move back to a different area, did you find it hard to start again? Did you make friends easily? Do you regret not going back to where you came from...if you get my drift?
Hey! McDonalds has closed down and we've got a new Costa Coffee house in Bromsgrove. Things are on the Up!LOL

IMO most people who make the leap to emigrate and then find its not for them really just needed a change of scene. Sure you'll be fine in lovely Devon. Good luck.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Smiths
Hey! McDonalds has closed down and we've got a new Costa Coffee house in Bromsgrove. Things are on the Up!LOL

What Bromsgrove council didn't shove another charity shop into MacDonalds place?

Maccas was the place we would fall into when we'd finished the pub crawl down the high street!

Whereabouts are you living?
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

The Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to behold

What Bromsgrove council didn't shove another charity shop into MacDonalds place?

Maccas was the place we would fall into when we'd finished the pub crawl down the high street!

Whereabouts are you living?
Yes or another bloody card shop!

We live in Burcot and have done so for the last 10 years after moving up from Richmond, Surrey.

Bromsgrove has improved quite a bit over that time with quite a few classy restaurants opening up, the Artrix etc....
Old Jun 19th 2007, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

Ah Burcot, beautiful little place. I used to have a friend who lived in the farm on the corner opposite the garned centre. I was born up the road from there in Lickey End...have you ever heard of such a silly name for a place?!!!

So, Bromsgrove is getting some nice restaurants, that'll make a nice change from fast food places, charity shops and card shops!

Thanks for the update.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:16 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Our paths are very similar

We used to live in Woolacombe N.Devon, then Alvechurch Worcestershire now Perth.

Where abouts in Devon are you heading for ??

I'm sure that once you are back, you will soon settle into Devonshire life. Especially if the rellies are close by and the drinking mates will soon be made ...
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:31 am
Account Closed

We're looking at the Cullompton areas because there are some great schools there, especially the Uffculme secondary school. Do you know anything about this area Sel?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:11 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

We're looking at the Cullompton areas because there are some great schools there, especially the Uffculme secondary school. Do you know anything about this area Sel?
No sorry I don't know Cullompton. Used to go into Exeter but would mainly stick to Barnstable, Ilfracombe and Woolacombe.

As you know some locals already, you won't have any problems getting to know the rest of the village. One thing you can rely on with us Brits is we are a nosey lot, so it won't be long till everyone knows your life story

Devon is gorgeous !!! We only left because of the job situation, OH didn't want to spend most of his life commuting .. but we did love it there (bloomin cold tho)

The thing I love about where we live here in Perth is I have found my bit of Devon here (remember woolacombe is a very small part of devon so I am easily pleased ).
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:18 am

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah Burcot, beautiful little place. I used to have a friend who lived in the farm on the corner opposite the garned centre. I was born up the road from there in Lickey End...have you ever heard of such a silly name for a place?!!!

So, Bromsgrove is getting some nice restaurants, that'll make a nice change from fast food places, charity shops and card shops!

Thanks for the update.
I went to Lickey End Primary school. Whenever I've told anyone that they burst out laughing at the name.

Don't think I would move back to the Bromsgrove area now, if I ever get the chance to return (living in hope!!!) despite having friends there.

I quite fancy either somewhere in Shropshire or Tiverton in Devon, where I've family.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SavBlancGal
I went to Lickey End Primary school. Whenever I've told anyone that they burst out laughing at the name.

Don't think I would move back to the Bromsgrove area now, if I ever get the chance to return (living in hope!!!) despite having friends there.

I quite fancy either somewhere in Shropshire or Tiverton in Devon, where I've family.
I went to Lickey End Primary school too!!! Then onto Catshill Middle (yuck!)
I'm 40 now, do we know each other I wonder?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

I know round Cullompton and Dulford a bit. Dulfords nice but small. Honitons not too far either, nors Sidmouth etc.
Tbh....there so so so many lovely places in Devon with odd town you wouldnt want to live in.

Where I'm heading to isnt the nicest town itself, but the area around is gorggeous & its got chums there and knowing theres so many places nearby is dandy.

Good choice going to Devon Tracey
You'll love it
xxx
T
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

We moved back to the UK from NZ 6 years ago. I was originally from London, but had lived on the south Coast (where the wife is from) for a number of years before moving to NZ. When we came back we moved to a small town in the east Midlands and did not know a sole! 6 years on, and we have no regrets, having made many friends etc, which has mostly been via our kids.

My Brother-in-Law and his family moved from the south Coast about 10 years ago to Collumpton and they love it. Schools appear very good.

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mpg
We moved back to the UK from NZ 6 years ago. I was originally from London, but had lived on the south Coast (where the wife is from) for a number of years before moving to NZ. When we came back we moved to a small town in the east Midlands and did not know a sole! 6 years on, and we have no regrets, having made many friends etc, which has mostly been via our kids.

My Brother-in-Law and his family moved from the south Coast about 10 years ago to Collumpton and they love it. Schools appear very good.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for that. It's reassuring to know that making friends as a grown up is possible!

We've got small children so hopefully I will be able to make friends with other Mums at school. I hope so.

Thanks for the thumbs up on Cullompton too
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:53 am

glad 2 b back is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I did, I grew up In London, Lived in Ireland for 8 years and Spain for 6 then moved to Kent last August...best move I've ever made. I love it around here also I'm still close to London if I want a day out.

If you leave an area for whatever reason, the reason will probably be still be there when you go back unless its work..as you can change your job. So if you go back you should start somewhere fresh and new and perhaps it will work out better.

Perhaps people should consider re-locating around the UK more rather than the world.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glad 2 b back
Perhaps people should consider re-locating around the UK more rather than the world.
Oh you are so right

PS...Love the name.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.