Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Dickensian Christmas trip to UK part 2 without trolls

Dickensian Christmas trip to UK part 2 without trolls

Old Nov 29th 2009, 5:34 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dickensian Christmas trip to UK part 2 without trolls

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
I should think all those who have celebrated Christmas south of the equator all their lives will be very surprised to read this

Those of my friends who have lived in Australia all their lives would certainly disagree with both of your above statements.
Well, obviously. But only because that's all of they've ever known.

The fact of the matter is that the vast bulk of all the Christmas traditions are designed for hibernating indoors during cold, wintry weather. The entire imagery that we associate with Christmas is to do with winter weather.

Trying to contest that is pointless and silly. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Christmas was designed for winter and is really rather incongruous in the middle of summer. End of.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willamos
Well, obviously. But only because that's all of they've ever known.

The entire imagery that we associate with Christmas is to do with winter weather.
I think what you meant to write was: "The entire imagery that I associate with Christmas is to do with winter weather."

But just because you have only known Christmas in the northern hemisphere and therefore associate it with winter weather, doesn't mean it's incongruous in the middle of summer. It's just incongruous to you.

Someone who has only know Christmas in the summer will find it incongruous in winter.

As usual with your posts you seem to think that only your experiences are valid.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:54 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
I think what you meant to write was: "The entire imagery that I associate with Christmas is to do with winter weather."

But just because you have only known Christmas in the northern hemisphere and therefore associate it with winter weather, doesn't mean it's incongruous in the middle of summer. It's just incongruous to you.

Someone who has only know Christmas in the summer will find it incongruous in winter.

As usual with your posts you seem to think that only your experiences are valid.
This is a BRITISH expats site, so it is very much more than likely that the vast majority of posters here are from the UK, and therefore, in their sojourn in the UK which would have been the early formative years at least, then the norm for Christmas would be cold, frost and snow. So their most likely memories and associations regarding Christmas are ones in the UK.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:42 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, another flicker of a flame war, which is appropriate, given the discussion. But the discussion is very interesting.

The religious Christmas originated in a place which isn't particularly cold and dark even in the short days of the year. Yes, I know the event probably had nothing to do with December anyway.

The Christian church sensibly blended it with the pagan midwinter festivals of light and feasting, which is what we have today in northern European cultures.

So I'm on the side of those who say the southern hemisphere Christmas isn't the same thing. The birth of Christ thing works fine anywhere. The midwinter festival doesn't. Doesn't mean people can't enjoy it and feel merry etc, but most of the lights in the darkness and hopes that spring will come again is meaningless. There probably should be rain/water festivals instead.

Canada, OTOH, can offer dark nights and a white Christmas to most of its people. Perhaps that's why they get really serious about hanging lights all over the houses at Christmas. Very pretty against snow and icicles.

I have to say, though, that when we moved to Victoria I realized that it's lights on wet pavements and streets that makes my heart do the Christmas pitter-patter.

Bev
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bevm
Gosh, another flicker of a flame war, which is appropriate, given the discussion. But the discussion is very interesting.

The religious Christmas originated in a place which isn't particularly cold and dark even in the short days of the year. Yes, I know the event probably had nothing to do with December anyway.

The Christian church sensibly blended it with the pagan midwinter festivals of light and feasting, which is what we have today in northern European cultures.

So I'm on the side of those who say the southern hemisphere Christmas isn't the same thing. The birth of Christ thing works fine anywhere. The midwinter festival doesn't. Doesn't mean people can't enjoy it and feel merry etc, but most of the lights in the darkness and hopes that spring will come again is meaningless. There probably should be rain/water festivals instead.

Canada, OTOH, can offer dark nights and a white Christmas to most of its people. Perhaps that's why they get really serious about hanging lights all over the houses at Christmas. Very pretty against snow and icicles.

I have to say, though, that when we moved to Victoria I realized that it's lights on wet pavements and streets that makes my heart do the Christmas pitter-patter.

Bev
Funny thing is that in OZ while Xmas is hot there and they know no different, then why do they sell things such as Christmas cards with snowmen on, wrapping paper with cold snowy themes and all the rest of Xmassy stuff snow related...if they know no different why do these things not have sun, sea, beach on. So really speaking Christmas, no matter where, is related to cold snowy season.
Not that i care anyway, i'm just glad to have it here
Old Nov 29th 2009, 1:33 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Funny thing is that in OZ while Xmas is hot there and they know no different, then why do they sell things such as Christmas cards with snowmen on, wrapping paper with cold snowy themes and all the rest of Xmassy stuff snow related...if they know no different why do these things not have sun, sea, beach on. So really speaking Christmas, no matter where, is related to cold snowy season.
Not that i care anyway, i'm just glad to have it here
Dont forget the piped music in the malls... "i'm dreaming of a white christmas"... yeah...keep dreaming
Old Nov 29th 2009, 3:40 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

This Christmas thing is all fairly obvious really. It celebrates the birth of Christ that happened to take place in Bethlehem which despite being a Mediterranean climate, occurred in December which is usually the coldest month in most Mediterranean countries anyway. Therefore, its a northern hemisphere concept, which occurred in winter in what is normally a hot location. Given that what is now called Israel, was also once part of the Roman Empire, this empire stretched as far north to Britannia and also into central Europe, therefore snow was certainly not alien to them. The Romans apart from being experts in such things as warcraft against savages, the advancement of civilization, chucking undesirables to the lions and defining the art of orgies were also rather fond of their festivities, of which most took place around the winter period and were centered on December. Therefore, early marketing by the Romans quickly established this as a winter celebration probably to tie in with the winter solstice (Cold, rain, short days, log fires and of course snow) and as northern Europe has far nicer tress than southern Europe, the tree idea quickly followed.

If Christ had been born in June, then we would probably be hanging decorations on palm trees and sticking a sun on top of it and wrapping presents with paper that has beaches and surfers on it. Also, we wouldn`t have to suffer that terrible Bing Crosby song either.

Given that winter in the southern hemisphere is at a very different time, there is no way they can celebrate christmas as we do in northern Europe and the only reason that its celebrated in these countries, is because of the mass immigration by Europeans to these places anyway and bringing their European customs with them.

Last edited by Jules Europe; Nov 29th 2009 at 4:14 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:14 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Erm, Christ wasn't born in December though According to historical scholars, he was actually born around March/April time.

The idea of celebrating Christ's birth in December was an adoption of the Pagan winter solstice festival. 25 December was originally a special date in the Roman calendar - a festival to celebrate the sun (Saturnalia) and in the middle of it was 25th Dies Natalis Solis - the birthday of the invincible one, all part of the winter solstice when the shortest day and longest night are followed by longer, brighter, warmer days. In celebration, people decorated their houses and exchanged gifts.

If was the Roman Emperor Constantine (1st Christian emperor) who declared it would be Christ's birthday celebrated on 25 December instead.

The first true Christmas card went on sale in 1843. It was the idea of a man named Henry Cole. He had the whole thing designed by a friend, J C Horsley and artist John Calcott. It was printed in black and white and then hand coloured. The main picture was a family party with panels of small picutres showing people giving alms to the poor and the card was edge with ivy leaves growing around poles. The cards were sold at Felix Summerley's Home Treasury Office in Bond Street, London for a shilling each.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Erm, Christ wasn't born in December though According to historical scholars, he was actually born around March/April time.
So was I and I often get snow on my birthday
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:11 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
This Christmas thing is all fairly obvious really. It celebrates the birth of Christ that happened to take place in Bethlehem which despite being a Mediterranean climate, occurred in December which is usually the coldest month in most Mediterranean countries anyway. Therefore, its a northern hemisphere concept, which occurred in winter in what is normally a hot location. Given that what is now called Israel, was also once part of the Roman Empire, this empire stretched as far north to Britannia and also into central Europe, therefore snow was certainly not alien to them. The Romans apart from being experts in such things as warcraft against savages, the advancement of civilization, chucking undesirables to the lions and defining the art of orgies were also rather fond of their festivities, of which most took place around the winter period and were centered on December. Therefore, early marketing by the Romans quickly established this as a winter celebration probably to tie in with the winter solstice (Cold, rain, short days, log fires and of course snow) and as northern Europe has far nicer tress than southern Europe, the tree idea quickly followed.

If Christ had been born in June, then we would probably be hanging decorations on palm trees and sticking a sun on top of it and wrapping presents with paper that has beaches and surfers on it. Also, we wouldn`t have to suffer that terrible Bing Crosby song either.

Given that winter in the southern hemisphere is at a very different time, there is no way they can celebrate christmas as we do in northern Europe and the only reason that its celebrated in these countries, is because of the mass immigration by Europeans to these places anyway and bringing their European customs with them.
thanks as usual for a patronizing post that is utter bollox, as per post directly below the one i quote of yours.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:47 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo

The idea of celebrating Christ's birth in December was an adoption of the Pagan winter solstice festival. 25 December was originally a special date in the Roman calendar - a festival to celebrate the sun (Saturnalia) and in the middle of it was 25th Dies Natalis Solis - the birthday of the invincible one, all part of the winter solstice when the shortest day and longest night are followed by longer, brighter, warmer days. In celebration, people decorated their houses and exchanged gifts.

If was the Roman Emperor Constantine (1st Christian emperor) who declared it would be Christ's birthday celebrated on 25 December instead.

The first true Christmas card went on sale in 1843. It was the idea of a man named Henry Cole. He had the whole thing designed by a friend, J C Horsley and artist John Calcott. It was printed in black and white and then hand coloured. The main picture was a family party with panels of small picutres showing people giving alms to the poor and the card was edge with ivy leaves growing around poles. The cards were sold at Felix Summerley's Home Treasury Office in Bond Street, London for a shilling each.
The same biblical scholars, claim he could have been born in September. So December holds as good as either March/April or September.

Emperor Constantine besides being the first Christian emperor, was also the first emperor to really accept religious toleration thanks to the "Edict of Milan"
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:57 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by rae
thanks as usual for a patronizing post that is utter bollox, as per post directly below the one i quote of yours.
A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too!

Last edited by Jules Europe; Nov 30th 2009 at 9:27 am.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:46 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
The same biblical scholars, claim he could have been born in September. So December holds as good as either March/April or September.

Emperor Constantine besides being the first Christian emperor, was also the first emperor to really accept religious toleration thanks to the "Edict of Milan"

I remember reading that Jesus was actually an October baby (just like me - which is how I remember this fact).

It really doesn't matter when he was born, the rememberance of his death is more important...

Christmas is just a new tradition and brighens up our cold winter based on pagan festivities. Even Father Christmas is designed after the coca cola bottle...
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:48 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by manamama
I remember reading that Jesus was actually an October baby (just like me - which is how I remember this fact).

It really doesn't matter when he was born, the rememberance of his death is more important...

Christmas is just a new tradition and brighens up our cold winter based on pagan festivities. Even Father Christmas is designed after the coca cola bottle...
Absolutely and I'm sure the kids will remember his life/death, just a soon as Sony bring out a playstation game devoted to it......
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:07 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by manamama

Hehehehehe we now have October in the arena as well!

It`s constantly the job of any historian to prove of disprove any historical discrepancy and the bible has many.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.