Dialysis/Transplant

Old Oct 26th 2022, 1:35 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dialysis/Transplant

Hi all,

We (husband) were planning on moving back to the UK (I am still advocating for Ontario, though not very loudly anymore) when my husband turned 60, so in 3 years.

A few weeks ago we found out he will need dialysis in the very near future and ultimately a new kidney.

Obviously this has thrown a huge spanner in the works. Has anyone moved back as a dialysis patient? Is this possible? The earliest we could think about moving back would still be 60 as his private pension would be accessible by then.

the thought of having to stay in Alberta for the rest of my life is horrifying.
Old Nov 24th 2022, 12:55 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Dialysis/Transplant

Just bumping.

Dialysis started today. Will we ever be able to move back now hubby has a medical condition?
Old Nov 24th 2022, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

Hi Piff Poff,

I’m sorry you are having such a difficult time, moving back is daunting without added worries. I was a nurse before leaving for Canada but I’m now 11 years out of date. The following links may be a start and you could also contact the Dialysis Unit for the local hospital if you have an idea where you will returning to. If not, just try any as they may be able to point you in the right direction.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-th...live-in-the-uk

https://www.gov.uk/browse/benefits/disability

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/returning-to-the-uk

Hopefully someone more current will be able to help more.

Regards,

D.
Old Nov 24th 2022, 9:41 pm

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. Very appreciated.
Old Nov 25th 2022, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Addenbrooks Hospital in Cambridge have an excellent dialysis center if you had considered moving to that area. I have one family member that has used this facility and another family member that has volunteered for the local Kidney Association Charity for over 40 years raising money to help dialysis patients with transport, equipment and other needs.

Good luck to you both. It will be a learning curve but there seems to be a lot of support in the UK for dialysis patients x
Old Nov 25th 2022, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
My OH had a few different clinic appointments and an operation last year and in each occasions he was asked had we been resident in the UK for …..cannot remember the number of years by that time my husband had been so all was okay but a friend who returned from NZ and had been in the UK only for a few months was not so successful with a knee replacement, not sure if it has changed (it changes all the time here) good luck and I hope all goes well with your OH treatment be it here or in Canada I know how stressful it can be (went through this with my DD) x
Old Nov 25th 2022, 3:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how long between sessions your husband can go, but if you're taking a trip back to the UK there is a whole branch of dialysis scheduling for people on holiday, which would give you the opportunity to check things out "on the ground" for yourselves. I don't see anything about visitors from outside the UK, but this page has a lot of contact information including email addresses.
Old Nov 26th 2022, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

These links might help:

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information...broad-heading/

My Mum returned to the UK from France in 2015 when she was basically dying from a condition called MSA and she was bedridden. We got her into a private nursing home and she was entitled to NHS care immediately. Benefits were a bit slower and as she had excess savings, they had to be used before they would contribute to her nursing home costs (same as any other UK citizen). About 9 months after she returned to the UK, my sister secured a local authority nursing home place nearer her house. By then she was eligible for all benefits. My father also returned home sometime before Mum, as he had a stroke. He was eligible for all the benefits he was entitled to almost immediately. It just takes a while to learn how the system works.

Hopefully, as you have 3 yrs to plan, the kidney transplant will take place before you move.
Old Nov 29th 2022, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Jolly Good
Addenbrooks Hospital in Cambridge have an excellent dialysis center if you had considered moving to that area. I have one family member that has used this facility and another family member that has volunteered for the local Kidney Association Charity for over 40 years raising money to help dialysis patients with transport, equipment and other needs.

Good luck to you both. It will be a learning curve but there seems to be a lot of support in the UK for dialysis patients x
Very familiar with Addenbrookes, grew up 7 miles away from Cambridge. Looking at the fenlands/Norwich areas. Seems to be more support in the UK than in Alberta.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by brits1
My OH had a few different clinic appointments and an operation last year and in each occasions he was asked had we been resident in the UK for …..cannot remember the number of years by that time my husband had been so all was okay but a friend who returned from NZ and had been in the UK only for a few months was not so successful with a knee replacement, not sure if it has changed (it changes all the time here) good luck and I hope all goes well with your OH treatment be it here or in Canada I know how stressful it can be (went through this with my DD) x
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't know how long between sessions your husband can go, but if you're taking a trip back to the UK there is a whole branch of dialysis scheduling for people on holiday, which would give you the opportunity to check things out "on the ground" for yourselves. I don't see anything about visitors from outside the UK, but this page has a lot of contact information including email addresses.
Thank you. Apparently our social worker can help with vacations. So maybe a trip back to explore options is on the cards.

Originally Posted by jjmb
These links might help:

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information...broad-heading/

My Mum returned to the UK from France in 2015 when she was basically dying from a condition called MSA and she was bedridden. We got her into a private nursing home and she was entitled to NHS care immediately. Benefits were a bit slower and as she had excess savings, they had to be used before they would contribute to her nursing home costs (same as any other UK citizen). About 9 months after she returned to the UK, my sister secured a local authority nursing home place nearer her house. By then she was eligible for all benefits. My father also returned home sometime before Mum, as he had a stroke. He was eligible for all the benefits he was entitled to almost immediately. It just takes a while to learn how the system works.

Hopefully, as you have 3 yrs to plan, the kidney transplant will take place before you move.
It's on average 6 years for a transplant unless you have a living donor (to be explored). IF he chooses to go that route. It's not a cure.

Thank you.
Old Dec 1st 2022, 12:11 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

the length of time you have been resident is irrelevant and that question should not have been asked. You go on the wait list like anyone else and are triaged according to need,
Old Dec 1st 2022, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
the length of time you have been resident is irrelevant and that question should not have been asked. You go on the wait list like anyone else and are triaged according to need,
I agree, it is only current residence that should be relevant. When I went to hospital shortly after returning to England I was asked ahead of time to bring in a utility bill to prove I was resident, not how long I had lived here. I also had to bring in proof I that was eligible to live in the UK such as a passport. Once I had registered as a new patient I was not asked again on future appointments or before my surgery.
Old Dec 1st 2022, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
And this is where the the NHS suffers, I am all for people who use the NHS if they have paid into the system over a number of years or exempt from doing so through illness or disability but it is just not sustainable when anyone can use it and yes that means even if your born here and left years ago. The NHS was originally set up to be a free (which it’s not anyway for most we pay through our taxes) system for the UK, you could say straight this at first was an excellent way of thinking as most people had to work “back in the day” as welfare was strictly adhered to but alas with the social benefit system being routinely abused by people there are a lot of people who use the NHS who have never/hardly paid into the system when they really should/could be doing so hence one of the main reasons the NHS is in the “state” it is in. In my opinion the NHS needs a huge overhaul but various governments are afraid to act.
Old Dec 1st 2022, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

How is hubby doing piff poff?
Old Dec 1st 2022, 10:15 pm

And this is where the the NHS suffers, I am all for people who use the NHS if they have paid into the system over a number of years or exempt from doing so through illness or disability but it is just not sustainable when anyone can use it and yes that means even if your born here and left years ago. The NHS was originally set up to be a free (which it’s not anyway for most we pay through our taxes) system for the UK, you could say straight this at first was an excellent way of thinking as most people had to work “back in the day” as welfare was strictly adhered to but alas with the social benefit system being routinely abused by people there are a lot of people who use the NHS who have never/hardly paid into the system when they really should/could be doing so hence one of the main reasons the NHS is in the “state” it is in. In my opinion the NHS needs a huge overhaul but various governments are afraid to act.
Just for the record, we are up to date on our National Insurance contributions.
Old Dec 1st 2022, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by shelley748
How is hubby doing piff poff?
It's hit him hard. It's going to be a tough haul. We keep being told he will start to feel better. He is is struggling to come to terms with maybe never working again.

Thank you for asking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.