Devon or Cornwall from NZ

Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Devon or Cornwall from NZ

Originally Posted by fayemd
Hi Ken Where abouts in Cornwall have you moved to?Is there anything that you miss about NZ and do you feel that you made the right decision moving back?My husband is a carpenter but he has been working as a ceiling fixer in NZ as the wages are really bad for carpenters in NZ.Do you think there is much work in Cornwall or Devon for these trades?Thanks in advance.
Hi Faye

I couldnt say about jobs for carpenters over here but in general there doesnt appear to be a lot of work about.
NZ of course is exepensive to live in but we all miss it a lot and will be back one day
Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:01 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ken Where abouts in Cornwall have you moved to?Is there anything that you miss about NZ and do you feel that you made the right decision moving back?My husband is a carpenter but he has been working as a ceiling fixer in NZ as the wages are really bad for carpenters in NZ.Do you think there is much work in Cornwall or Devon for these trades?Thanks in advance.
Hiya, I live in Helston in Cornwall and can honestly say it is a beautiful place to live, however, it is a very expensive place to live - the highest council tax, highest water rates in the whole of the UK. I worked in Tesco a few years ago and would hear the tourists coming in and exclaiming how expensive things were down here compared to up country.

You would definitely need a car (although some people to get by on public transport), going on a journey that would take you 20 mins by car could take you 1 hour and 20 mins on a bus due to the fact that it travels to every little village.

A friend of mine is a plumber and I was talking to him last week about whether he had much work on and he said that most tradesmen that he knew were struggling.

There are big public sector cuts at the moment. We are an Armed Forces family and there are major cuts here to the Navy/RAF and the Civil Service, also the County Council are making massive cuts along with Treliske Hospital.

We love living here but my OH is due to leave the RN and we realise that we would be extremely lucky to be able to live down here and have the same kind of lifestyle that we have at the moment, therefore, we are moving away.

I would say that if you have enough money to 'ride the storm' until things start picking up again, then go for it.

Oh, also, 99% of people that I've met over the last 25 years of living here have never treated me like I am 'from away', we fitted in nicely; and I am from Wales (directed at a post above, which I took offence at - generalisations are not good).

PM me if you would like anymore information.

Karen
Old May 4th 2011, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Hi can anyone give me some information with regards to Devon or Cornwall i.e.good/bad areas,whats it like for bringing kids up e.t.c.
We are planning on moving to the south west from NZ and just want to get as much information as possible having not lived there before.Beer looks nice as does Truro and Exeter.Thanks in advance.
We moved to Torbay area in 2009 from Canada. we love it here, lots of gorgeous scenery and lots of things for the children to do. We live in Paignton..every place in my opinion has good/bad.
Hubby has found it hard to get a good wage for his skills but we'll keep looking for a better job??. but always found work! easier than in suffolk (lived there for 9mths before we moved down south devon)... Haven't been touring as much as we like. i can't wait to visit cornwall, i hear its absolutely beautiful and laid back... but its cut off abit from everything and depends on careers IF you can find work down there etc....
Old May 4th 2011, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

DonnaG2 is just really niceDonnaG2 is just really niceDonnaG2 is just really niceDonnaG2 is just really niceDonnaG2 is just really niceDonnaG2 is just really niceDonnaG2 is just really niceDonnaG2 is just really nice

I need to go somewhere where there is a bit of life as I have a teenager and I don't want him getting bored, thats why I was thinking of Exeter as its a university town has anyone been?Whats it like?
I'd go for Plymouth over Exeter every time... I wouldn't want to live in Exeter...
Old May 6th 2011, 7:53 am
Account Closed

fayemd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dewdrop
We moved to Torbay area in 2009 from Canada. we love it here, lots of gorgeous scenery and lots of things for the children to do. We live in Paignton..every place in my opinion has good/bad.
Hubby has found it hard to get a good wage for his skills but we'll keep looking for a better job??. but always found work! easier than in suffolk (lived there for 9mths before we moved down south devon)... Haven't been touring as much as we like. i can't wait to visit cornwall, i hear its absolutely beautiful and laid back... but its cut off abit from everything and depends on careers IF you can find work down there etc....
Hi how do you find Paignton for teenagers?And what are house prices and rentals like in Paignton?
Old May 6th 2011, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Hi how do you find Paignton for teenagers?And what are house prices and rentals like in Paignton?
If you check rightmove or findaproperty you can see what house prices are going for in your budget. With that being said, you can get a2-3 bed property with sea views for £239,000+ but there are some nice areas good family areas. for £169,000 up. it just depends on what your needs are and how close to the schools u need to be. there are terrace houses/semi £129,000+ . WE are listing our property within the next 2weeks. 3bed semi. all redone...we need more space tbh. and wouldn't mind some sea views this time

teenagers...or tourists? there are a few. but haven't had any problems with any..only our one neighbours son.(mouthy).

We do love it here, have met some lovely down to earth people..couldn't ask for nicer friends...ask away if you have any more questions or pm me...good luck
Old May 6th 2011, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazbob
There are big public sector cuts at the moment. We are an Armed Forces family and there are major cuts here to the Navy/RAF and the Civil Service, also the County Council are making massive cuts along with Treliske Hospital.

Karen
When you say here that there are cuts to the Navy/RAF are you referring to the general Defence review or are there specific cuts announced that you are aware of as a result of this review at RNAS Culdrose?
Old May 8th 2011, 5:54 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
When you say here that there are cuts to the Navy/RAF are you referring to the general Defence review or are there specific cuts announced that you are aware of as a result of this review at RNAS Culdrose?
Hi PP,

The cuts are across the board, they are not specific to Culdrose (as far as I know), apart from looking at specific trades that get a knock on effect from losing A/C Carriers, if you get my meaning. There is general nervousness from alot of people I know down here as to where the axe is going to fall. There was always the confidence that if you were made redundant in the Forces then you could always get a job with that well known other civilian company that work at Culdrose, but that is not happening either as that company is also laying off many of their staff.

Many are looking to relocate and are hoping that they will be better than the next person if they get the chance of an interview.

I will still agree that Cornwall is a beautiful place to live, but only if you have the money to enjoy it.
Old May 8th 2011, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazbob
Hi PP,

The cuts are across the board, they are not specific to Culdrose (as far as I know), apart from looking at specific trades that get a knock on effect from losing A/C Carriers, if you get my meaning. There is general nervousness from alot of people I know down here as to where the axe is going to fall. There was always the confidence that if you were made redundant in the Forces then you could always get a job with that well known other civilian company that work at Culdrose, but that is not happening either as that company is also laying off many of their staff.

Many are looking to relocate and are hoping that they will be better than the next person if they get the chance of an interview.

I will still agree that Cornwall is a beautiful place to live, but only if you have the money to enjoy it.
All sounds very stressful!

Do the people of Helston feel nervous about the future of the base with all of these cuts and the impact it could have on the local community? Landlords in the pubs must have a "real opinion" on things.

Based upon what you said here I did my own research and see that there are big sections of former military operations (FRADU) that have now been civilianised.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 8th 2011 at 9:17 pm.