Reload this Page >

Desperate to come home to uk

Wikiposts

Desperate to come home to uk

Old May 11th 2013, 7:47 am
Just Joined

fifinjulz08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Desperate to come home to uk

Hi just wondering if anyone has any knowledge on housing benefit in the uk, I have been living in Spain for ten years but sadly due to the death of friends and separation of partner I am now desperate to return to the uk, I have had my property on the market for a long time with no joy in selling it. I am now desperate to come home, I read somewhere that I could possibly claim housing benefit until my property is sold, is anyone else aware of this? I would be more than happy to pay all money back when sold but I'm desperate.
I am 68 so would struggle to find employment.

Any advice helpful.

Regards
Old May 11th 2013, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Desperate to come home to uk

Hi fifinjulz08 and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear of your situation.
I'm afraid I can't answer your question directly although there are many helpful folks here who I'm sure will be able to help you.
In the meantime you could perhaps take a look here

https://www.gov.uk/benefits-adviser

to see the benefits to which you may be entitled.
Old May 11th 2013, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

I sent you a PM.
Old May 11th 2013, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larrabee
Hi fifinjulz08 and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear of your situation.
I'm afraid I can't answer your question directly although there are many helpful folks here who I'm sure will be able to help you.
In the meantime you could perhaps take a look here

https://www.gov.uk/benefits-adviser

to see the benefits to which you may be entitled.
I just tried this benefits advisor - just for kicks! I put in that I am not working, that I have one thousand pounds in savings, that my weekly rent is 150 pounds, no other income, and it gave me 71.70 JSA a week. This was strictly hypothetical and the numbers are not real, but how is someone supposed to live on 71.70 a week? Am I missing something? What about all the stories we read about people claiming JSA who make more than if they were working?
Old May 11th 2013, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

brightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to all

need to update

Last edited by brightonbelle; May 11th 2013 at 8:35 pm. Reason: need to update found new information
Old May 11th 2013, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

brightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fifinjulz08
, I have had my property on the market for a long time with no joy in selling it. I am now desperate to come home, I read somewhere that I could possibly claim housing benefit until my property is sold, is anyone else aware of this? I would be more than happy to pay all money back when sold but I'm desperate.
I am 68 so would struggle to find employment.

Any advice helpful.

Regards
Hi,
under the old system there was a grace period of up to 26 weeks in which to sell the property enabling a person to claim HB. However, there were only three mitigating categories......single parent with young child/children.....fleeing domestic violence.....or large family needing two homes.

I do not know under the new system if the above is still in effect.

I would think that the best thing is not to be a homeowner when you get back. You could reduce the price and sell? get the ex partner to buy you out and remove your name from the property? or the only other option is to rent it out and use that rent to fund a place in the UK.

But I may be wrong and someone else knows more about the new system and having two homes and any entitlement...would advise you to contact shelter/citizens advice or the local authority of the area you are intending to move to for more accurate advice.

Ty

Last edited by brightonbelle; May 11th 2013 at 8:35 pm.
Old May 12th 2013, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I just tried this benefits advisor - just for kicks! I put in that I am not working, that I have one thousand pounds in savings, that my weekly rent is 150 pounds, no other income, and it gave me 71.70 JSA a week. This was strictly hypothetical and the numbers are not real, but how is someone supposed to live on 71.70 a week? Am I missing something? What about all the stories we read about people claiming JSA who make more than if they were working?
It isn't just JSA that people can claim - it is other benefits that can up the income from benefits like housing allowance, child benefit, council tax allowance etc. These can and do add up in some instances (but not as many instances as some would like to have us believe) The figure you quote is however about right for JSA alone per week.