British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Departing Australian Superannuation Payment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/departing-australian-superannuation-payment-843458/)

MissGB Nov 2nd 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Departing Australian Superannuation Payment

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I too look forward to finding out where the money has gone!!

killerhales Nov 3rd 2014 11:31 am

We received a termination statement today. The amount was taxed at 38%!! instead of the 15% it says on the ATO website. I haven't got time to look into it any more today, but will check it out over the next few days and provide a further update

spouse of scouse Nov 3rd 2014 11:39 am

Originally Posted by killerhales (Post 11459649)
We received a termination statement today. The amount was taxed at 38%!! instead of the 15% it says on the ATO website. I haven't got time to look into it any more today, but will check it out over the next few days and provide a further update

I think the 15% only applies to Australian citizens/permanent residents, have a look towards the bottom of the page in this link, at the table which shows the tax rates for a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment.
https://www.ato.gov.au/Rates/Key-sup..._sum_tax_table

killerhales Nov 3rd 2014 12:47 pm

You are more observant than me! So non residents/citizens get taxed more than residents/citizens, what justification for that can there be? (Fortunately when it comes to my super in a few years time, I am a citizen).

So my original mistake back in 2005 was to split my own super (all of this money was earned by me) with my wife who chose not to become a citizen when I did, as she was already a joint Irish/British citizen and one third each of three nationalities seemed a bit complicated!

Interesting that it says MAXIMUM rate of tax, as if other, lower rates might be applied, I shall look into that further.

spouse of scouse Nov 3rd 2014 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by killerhales (Post 11459718)
You are more observant than me! So non residents/citizens get taxed more than residents/citizens, what justification for that can there be? (Fortunately when it comes to my super in a few years time, I am a citizen).

So my original mistake back in 2005 was to split my own super (all of this money was earned by me) with my wife who chose not to become a citizen when I did, as she was already a joint Irish/British citizen and one third each of three nationalities seemed a bit complicated!

Interesting that it says MAXIMUM rate of tax, as if other, lower rates might be applied, I shall look into that further.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings - it sucks when you're expecting a certain amount and then it's much less :(

Famous 5 Mar 6th 2015 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by killerhales (Post 11419261)
As far as I can see they will send a lump sum (minus tax). As I mentioned earlier, my interpretation of the information on the ATO website is that 15% withholding tax is payable.

I'm just about to update how my wife is getting on and then in February next year I'll let the forum know how I get on.

My OH is thinking of taking his super out of Oz in a couple of months time and I remembered this post indicating that you would be going through the process in February, so I was wondering how you got on.

Any tips and advice would be much appreciated.

killerhales Mar 6th 2015 2:56 pm

Hi Famous 5, my "preservation age" is actually another year away and I am therefore having to wait another year before accessing the pension funds. I am an Australian citizen so as mentioned earlier in the thread my understanding is that I will subject to the 15% withholding tax and not the 38% my wife was charged as a non-citizen.

Famous 5 Mar 6th 2015 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by killerhales (Post 11584962)
Hi Famous 5, my "preservation age" is actually another year away and I am therefore having to wait another year before accessing the pension funds. I am an Australian citizen so as mentioned earlier in the thread my understanding is that I will subject to the 15% withholding tax and not the 38% my wife was charged as a non-citizen.

Thanks Killerhales.

My OH will shortly reach the preservation age and we were thinking it might be more sensible to invest the money here. I still have a few years to go until I get to my preservation age.

All the info on the super fund's website has my head spinning so I think the starting point will be for my OH to ring them to get a bit of advice as to how best to proceed. I'll post an update when we decide what to do.