Reload this Page >

Declarations to Inland Revenue upon our return to the UK

Wikiposts

Declarations to Inland Revenue upon our return to the UK

Old Mar 3rd 2011, 4:53 am
Just Joined

GrayCentral is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Declarations to Inland Revenue upon our return to the UK

I have been overseas for the past 20 years and now planning to return to the UK. During this perioid of being overseas I have not submitted any tax returns and need to understand what I need to do to get back "into the system" and is there likely to be any penalities imposed by HMRC. Anyone had a similar experience?
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Declarations to Inland Revenue upon our return to the UK

If you've been overseas for 20 years then there was no need to submit UK tax returns. Therefore I do not understand what "penalties" you expect?

If you return to the UK and earn income there, you may have to do an annual tax return. But not everyone has to do a tax return. If HMRC think you need to do a tax return, they'll send you a letter telling you to do so.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 1:16 am
Just Joined

Jagerbomb is on a distinguished road

My parents returned after about 30 years away and just had to pay a 'top up' for their pension fund to ensure they still have an entitlement when they retire.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GrayCentral
I have been overseas for the past 20 years and now planning to return to the UK. During this perioid of being overseas I have not submitted any tax returns and need to understand what I need to do to get back "into the system" and is there likely to be any penalities imposed by HMRC. Anyone had a similar experience?
I have been away from the UK for almost 30 years phoned them upon return for advice on how to procede. They said I should inform my local tax office. Otherwise, I assume that if you start work, through PAYE, they will know you are back and you will be automatically entered into the system. If you start work, you will need to obtain a tax code number.