Decision Made ...

Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:11 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all
Default Decision Made ...

Hi all. The decision has been made, we're going home. We've done alot of talking and thinking and weighing things up and the bottom line for us is that we need to be close to family and friends. I know given time, we would probably be happier here in Canada, but we don't ever feel like we would be properly settled or call it home.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. Now comes the hard part - shipping everything back home again!!!!!! :scared:
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision Made ...

Originally Posted by JoD
Hi all. The decision has been made, we're going home. We've done alot of talking and thinking and weighing things up and the bottom line for us is that we need to be close to family and friends. I know given time, we would probably be happier here in Canada, but we don't ever feel like we would be properly settled or call it home.
Well done for making the decision! Do you feel heaps better now? Have you thought of a time frame for leaving?

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. Now comes the hard part - shipping everything back home again!!!!!! :scared:
Yep, it opens up a right can of worms doesn't it? I know we've got a nightmare ahead of us (I have so much stuff!!) but just need to take it one step at a time and it will all be worth it in the end.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:52 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Always21
Well done for making the decision! Do you feel heaps better now? Have you thought of a time frame for leaving?
Yes, we feel tonnes better. We are thinking of being home by about May (fingers crossed). Good luck to you too.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Well done, making the decision is the hard part. Everything else will fall into place from that point on.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:30 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoD
Yes, we feel tonnes better. We are thinking of being home by about May (fingers crossed). Good luck to you too.
I am so jealous and very happy for you. Wish I'd had the balls to do the same years ago.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Janietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really nice

Hi

I just want to make a comment, do you think you have given yourself enough time to settle out there?, My husband and I and my family are planning on doing the big move out to Canada, and I have done lots of research to try and make me settle in more easier, but Homesickness is another matter, it takes time for that feeling to go away, I have read on a few sites it takes 2 years or more possible to get past that feeling, which I do agree with it, because I moved 200 miles away, I was still in the UK when I was 24, from my friends and family, and I always remember having that homesickness feeling, this feeling went on for over 2 years, and it was about halfway into the 3rd year that i stared to feel settled in myself, I used to find any excuse to back up my theory that I made a wrong move to go back home, like the area is not what i thought, didnt like this or that, when really I was trying to find a good enough excuse to go home. Its just a thought to ponder on, communication is so much easier now days with phones and internet and even web cams, to keep in contact with family and friends you have left behind, I know its not entirely the same tho.

anyway good luck

Janie
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoD

good on you, home is where the heart is....safe trip home...I wish it woz me..
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Janietrz
Hi

I just want to make a comment, do you think you have given yourself enough time to settle out there?, My husband and I and my family are planning on doing the big move out to Canada, and I have done lots of research to try and make me settle in more easier, but Homesickness is another matter, it takes time for that feeling to go away, I have read on a few sites it takes 2 years or more possible to get past that feeling, which I do agree with it, because I moved 200 miles away, I was still in the UK when I was 24, from my friends and family, and I always remember having that homesickness feeling, this feeling went on for over 2 years, and it was about halfway into the 3rd year that i stared to feel settled in myself, I used to find any excuse to back up my theory that I made a wrong move to go back home, like the area is not what i thought, didnt like this or that, when really I was trying to find a good enough excuse to go home. Its just a thought to ponder on, communication is so much easier now days with phones and internet and even web cams, to keep in contact with family and friends you have left behind, I know its not entirely the same tho.

anyway good luck

Janie
Hi Janie, where in Surrey are you from?...we have a place called home in East Horsley...love that place say hi to Surrey from me pls
Old Jan 10th 2006, 2:40 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Janietrz
Hi

anyway good luck

Janie
When we moved out here we said we would give ourselves 2 years. However, the reality is in the 7 months we have been here we have really discovered what sort of people we are, and that's family people. Our families mean so much to us and no matter that we have a beautiful house here in a lovely neighbourhood, the main thing that makes us happy is being with family. We know that even in 2 years time, although we may have settled a little bit more, we will always want to be close to our families, so it seemed silly to us to stay here the 2 years even though we know now what we want.

It is difficult and you do need to give it time, but for us it just wasn't what we thought it would be.

Good luck to all of you out there.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:14 pm

NewCalgarian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoD
When we moved out here we said we would give ourselves 2 years. However, the reality is in the 7 months we have been here we have really discovered what sort of people we are, and that's family people. Our families mean so much to us and no matter that we have a beautiful house here in a lovely neighbourhood, the main thing that makes us happy is being with family. We know that even in 2 years time, although we may have settled a little bit more, we will always want to be close to our families, so it seemed silly to us to stay here the 2 years even though we know now what we want.

It is difficult and you do need to give it time, but for us it just wasn't what we thought it would be.

Good luck to all of you out there.
You've recognised who you are and that's the important part. For some it takes a relatively short period of time (as in your case) and for others it takes much longer. I really don't think their are any hard and fast rules about how long you should stay - it's different for everyone. Hope that making the decision to return has made you feel as good as it did for me! Very best of luck and keep posting your comments.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:43 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NewCalgarian
You've recognised who you are and that's the important part. For some it takes a relatively short period of time (as in your case) and for others it takes much longer. I really don't think their are any hard and fast rules about how long you should stay - it's different for everyone. Hope that making the decision to return has made you feel as good as it did for me! Very best of luck and keep posting your comments.
Thanks, you're right. Sometime it takes moving away to make you realise what really makes you happy. We do feel so much better now the decision has been made, just got to go through the whole packing up your life and shipping it home routine now!! Anyone want to buy a house in Oakville ....??
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:29 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoD
Thanks, you're right. Sometime it takes moving away to make you realise what really makes you happy. We do feel so much better now the decision has been made, just got to go through the whole packing up your life and shipping it home routine now!! Anyone want to buy a house in Oakville ....??
I've got to agree with that, only been here a short time but I've realised what good friends and family I have back in the UK.

Still enjoying my time out here and making the most of it but then it's still good to know I'm going back at the end of the year.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 5:58 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Good Luck Jo. Hope you all find the happiness that has been missing these last months. Like you said, at least you gave it at go, and it has been a life experience. You would have never known if you didn't do it. No one knows how you will feel until you are out here living the life and dealing with all the mixed emotions
Will it be relatively easy to slot back into UK life, ie, a home to go back to, or family to put you up, work to go back into? Or would you be like us, in that you will have to build it all up from scratch again. (not that we are looking to head back, but who knows what the future months/years will bring)
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Gazman111 has a brilliant futureGazman111 has a brilliant futureGazman111 has a brilliant futureGazman111 has a brilliant futureGazman111 has a brilliant futureGazman111 has a brilliant future

Well Jo we may be on the same plane. Its a hard decision to make but I know you will be OK. I have sent you a PM.
If you are like me you will know in your heart of hearts that it is the right thing to do.
There is nothing wrong with missing people.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:27 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by R2D2
Good Luck Jo. Hope you all find the happiness that has been missing these last months. Like you said, at least you gave it at go, and it has been a life experience. You would have never known if you didn't do it. No one knows how you will feel until you are out here living the life and dealing with all the mixed emotions
Will it be relatively easy to slot back into UK life, ie, a home to go back to, or family to put you up, work to go back into? Or would you be like us, in that you will have to build it all up from scratch again. (not that we are looking to head back, but who knows what the future months/years will bring)
Thanks. We haven't got a house to go back to as we sold before we came out, but we do have family to put us up and help us out. We're definately going to take our time chosing where to live and once we're there we're not moving ever, ever, ever again. As they say, I'm dunrovin'!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.