Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

On this day 3 years ago........

On this day 3 years ago........

Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:25 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default On this day 3 years ago........

On this day 3 years ago we set off on a journey of a lifetime - yes we flew off to Perth to start our new life in Oz!!

Well now as I sit in my house back in the UK having been home almost a year I can't believe all that has happened in the last 3 years.

As I sit and reflect several things really strike a cord in my memory. This time of year always reminds me of preparing to leave - that awful, empty, sad feeling of saying goodbye to your friends, family, neighbours, jobs, schools/playgroups, house - everything that is familiar, your life as you know it. Then I remember the elation and excitement of arriving in Oz, exploring, making new friends, enjoying the ever present sunshine and the reliably beautiful weather. But I guess what I recall the most is the sadness of being in Oz and the homesickness that became a real low point in my life and how I convinced myself I could shake it off but I never did. And lastly I remember returning home and rebuilding our lives back in the UK........ and here we are today happy and settled and ready for the next challenge in life!

Anyway we've spent a shed load of money but have I any regrets? No, none at all, our migration expereince is a big part of our life as a family and has taught us many, many things.

For anyone who is stuck out somewhere you don't want to be - I really know how you feel, but remember the UK will always be here for you and no matter how long it takes, if you really want it bad enough, you can and will be back here one day!
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:05 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On this day 3 years ago........

Originally Posted by pommybird
On this day 3 years ago we set off on a journey of a lifetime - yes we flew off to Perth to start our new life in Oz!!

Well now as I sit in my house back in the UK having been home almost a year I can't believe all that has happened in the last 3 years.

As I sit and reflect several things really strike a cord in my memory. This time of year always reminds me of preparing to leave - that awful, empty, sad feeling of saying goodbye to your friends, family, neighbours, jobs, schools/playgroups, house - everything that is familiar, your life as you know it. Then I remember the elation and excitement of arriving in Oz, exploring, making new friends, enjoying the ever present sunshine and the reliably beautiful weather. But I guess what I recall the most is the sadness of being in Oz and the homesickness that became a real low point in my life and how I convinced myself I could shake it off but I never did. And lastly I remember returning home and rebuilding our lives back in the UK........ and here we are today happy and settled and ready for the next challenge in life!

Anyway we've spent a shed load of money but have I any regrets? No, none at all, our migration expereince is a big part of our life as a family and has taught us many, many things.

For anyone who is stuck out somewhere you don't want to be - I really know how you feel, but remember the UK will always be here for you and no matter how long it takes, if you really want it bad enough, you can and will be back here one day!
As I sat here and read your post it took me back to times I'd rather forget, but know I never will. We left 10 years ago and I still 'feel' it. The pain, the anguish, the heartbreak of leaving. It still hurts. I envy you so much pb. I know the UK will always be there, but in the mean time, my baby nieces and nephews are learning to walk, talk and becoming gorgeous little people. I have missed out on so much that can never be regained it hurts.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:40 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

The move hit home to me when my little Grandson had no idea who his Great nan was..he would not sit with her or anything...she was a big part of our kids life's when they were growing up....I feel a little sad that I've taken this next step of her life away....
Old Jul 21st 2007, 7:35 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
As I sat here and read your post it took me back to times I'd rather forget, but know I never will. We left 10 years ago and I still 'feel' it. The pain, the anguish, the heartbreak of leaving. It still hurts. I envy you so much pb. I know the UK will always be there, but in the mean time, my baby nieces and nephews are learning to walk, talk and becoming gorgeous little people. I have missed out on so much that can never be regained it hurts.
Oh St GG - when I read some of your posts they just make me cry! I know you feel you've missed out on stuff back home but I bet you also have also gained so much by your move to Oz but perhaps you just can't see that at the moment. When was your last visit back to the UK - do you think a holiday over here to see the babies would help??

Don't know what else to say really 'cos I know exactly how debilitating homesickness can be, but just try and focus on the future and you plans to get back home, the past has gone now, I know it's hard but try to forget your regrets and look to the future.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 7:44 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad you are enjoying life back in England. Its not for me though. I'm happy I made this move, it was the right move for me and I have absolutely no regrets.
People talk about moving 'home' and visiting 'home' when they talk about the UK. In there lies the problem. If you still see the UK as your home after you leave then your always going to feel homesick. I got here, planted good strong roots and never looked back.

I'm glad you are having fun back in the UK and its all working out for you. I just wanted to post my experience as the thread was starting to look all doom and gloom.

Old Jul 21st 2007, 7:50 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh St GG - when I read some of your posts they just make me cry! I know you feel you've missed out on stuff back home but I bet you also have also gained so much by your move to Oz but perhaps you just can't see that at the moment. When was your last visit back to the UK - do you think a holiday over here to see the babies would help??

Don't know what else to say really 'cos I know exactly how debilitating homesickness can be, but just try and focus on the future and you plans to get back home, the past has gone now, I know it's hard but try to forget your regrets and look to the future.
I do try pb and please don't let my posts upset you. I missed out on my twin nephews growing up, they were just 1 when we left and are 11 years old now. I have a twin niece and nephew who were one in April and who I've never seen (except on Skype) and, my eldest niece has a boy who will be 2 at the end of this month and a baby girl who is nearly 9 months. The last time we were home was in Jan 04, so no babies around then. We might go home for Xmas this year, we haven't made our minds up yet. It's the busiest time of the year for OH and I am worried sick that I'll be as bad as I was the last time we had to leave all the family again. The next time we went home, I wanted it to be for good, not to have to come back here. ((sigh))
Old Jul 21st 2007, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey its been a big turn around for you!!!

We are a bit in limboland, but I am so glad we are united in the fact that we are returning "home" as and when it happens, we were watching "Escape to the Country" last night and my OH was sighing and saying that he missed all the green stuff and he has been so full of enthusiasm about it lately, although you wouldnt know it when you speak to him he keeps it very close to his heart (has done since we decided to return) as he has learned some valuable lessons since being here!!!

Glad to hear you are settled back it makes me feel that it is the right thing for us, Ive been feeling really jittery recently....

Kath
Old Jul 21st 2007, 10:42 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Blimey its been a big turn around for you!!!

We are a bit in limboland, but I am so glad we are united in the fact that we are returning "home" as and when it happens, we were watching "Escape to the Country" last night and my OH was sighing and saying that he missed all the green stuff and he has been so full of enthusiasm about it lately, although you wouldnt know it when you speak to him he keeps it very close to his heart (has done since we decided to return) as he has learned some valuable lessons since being here!!!

Glad to hear you are settled back it makes me feel that it is the right thing for us, Ive been feeling really jittery recently....

Kath
I'd say being cautious about going home is normal. I know I don't want to spend anymore time without my family, but I still get a little nervous about going through all the upheaval again. OH says he's not ready yet anyway as he loves his job, but the longer we leave it the more I feel I'm missing out. I wish we'd gone back sooner rather than later that's for sure.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

I know how you feel about nieces, nephews etc. You cant turn the clock back, some things just arent worth the sacrifice.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say being cautious about going home is normal. I know I don't want to spend anymore time without my family, but I still get a little nervous about going through all the upheaval again. OH says he's not ready yet anyway as he loves his job, but the longer we leave it the more I feel I'm missing out. I wish we'd gone back sooner rather than later that's for sure.
Yes it certainly must get harder. We've only been here a short time compared to you and I would feel very nervous after the amount of time you have been here, although saying that you know in your heart this will never be your home...
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

karni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nice

Pommybird,

Your post really struck a cord with me. I have only been out in Oz for 6 months. I came out to be with my Australian fiance. He refuses to go back to the UK and I know in my heart of hearts I cant stay here for the rest of my life.

I seem to spend so much time thinking of all the problems ahead for us, the sadness of things you have mentioned like missing out on seeing my little niece grow up, being there for my mum as she gets older..all the rest..His family are truly awful and it has made me miss my own even more..

I just cant seem to be brave enough to book the flight home as I love my fiance so much..is so hard to say goodbye to him..I seem to keep thinking maybe I should give it a bit longer..another 6 months even...try and put down some roots here..but when I read posts like yours I feel like I should just follow my heart and go home..the longer I stay here the harder it will be to go home..I know this..

I just wanted to ask you, if you were in my shoes...would you go back now or give it more time....I know its different for everyone but I just dont know which way to turn..

Karni
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Pippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant future

Happy that you are happy at 'home' pommybird. StGeorgesGirl I sympathise with you I have been here 16 years and so feel the loss of family ties still. My boys are growing up without really knowing their grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins. I still miss the home country but OH isn't leaving here! Wish I had had the confidence to speak up and get home in those early years like you pommybird and not try to like it until life was complicated by kids born and raised here!
Enjoy england pommybird!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 8:35 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

You should post this in the Update forum - as worthy of inclusion there as any of us in the 'happy to be here' mob. And if it stops one person with serious misgivings from making the mistake of a lifetime, then worth its weight in gold.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

karni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hutch
You should post this in the Update forum - as worthy of inclusion there as any of us in the 'happy to be here' mob. And if it stops one person with serious misgivings from making the mistake of a lifetime, then worth its weight in gold.
Hutch..Where are u..back in UK or still in Oz?
I agree...if I could read a few more threads on people moving back the UK and being happy with that decision I would probably be more inclined to make that move myself
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 8:55 am
Grace and gratitude

Originally Posted by karni31
Pommybird,

Your post really struck a cord with me. I have only been out in Oz for 6 months. I came out to be with my Australian fiance. He refuses to go back to the UK and I know in my heart of hearts I cant stay here for the rest of my life.

I seem to spend so much time thinking of all the problems ahead for us, the sadness of things you have mentioned like missing out on seeing my little niece grow up, being there for my mum as she gets older..all the rest..His family are truly awful and it has made me miss my own even more..

I just cant seem to be brave enough to book the flight home as I love my fiance so much..is so hard to say goodbye to him..I seem to keep thinking maybe I should give it a bit longer..another 6 months even...try and put down some roots here..but when I read posts like yours I feel like I should just follow my heart and go home..the longer I stay here the harder it will be to go home..I know this..

I just wanted to ask you, if you were in my shoes...would you go back now or give it more time....I know its different for everyone but I just dont know which way to turn..

Karni
Karni - I really feel for you - my OH did not want to return to the UK at all - he loved Perth - but after many rows about it I simply could not stay in Oz any longer - the homesickness and sadness was beginning to make me ill - after one particularly bad day I am ashamed to say I gave him an ultimatum - Australia or me - lucky for me he chose meand we came back to the UK last year - although it's not been easy we are both happy and settled now and our marriage and relationship is stronger than ever, so you see your situation may have a happy ending.

As for how long to give it - well that's so individual - some people DO get over their homesickness and some don't - me I felt awful from Day 1 and knew Perth would never be home and as time went on it got worse not better - so if you are asking me what I would do in your shoes I would bite the bullet and come home ASAP but that's just me. If you dig down deep in your heart do you feel you could ever be at home in Oz?

Good luck Karni, I feel for you, a lot of people trivialise homesickness but it can be absolutely awful.

P.S There are plenty of us here on MBTUK forum who have returned to the UK and are happy.

Last edited by pommybird; Jul 22nd 2007 at 9:03 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.