British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Daughter returns to UK refused student loan for course fees (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/daughter-returns-uk-refused-student-loan-course-fees-769849/)

dunroving Sep 1st 2012 6:58 pm

Re: Daughter returns to UK refused student loan for course fees

Originally Posted by formula (Post 10258905)
Did you see Alex Salmond's face in that interview when they asked him how an independant Scotand would cope with it's banking debts and share of the UK debts? :rofl: Even if the debts are only worked on per capita, Scotland will take 9% of all UK debts and all of it's own banking debts. If the EU free movement is stopped, the per capita for Scotland, will be higher.

Royal Bank of Scotland alone has a £180 billion exposure for the British (soon to be Scottish?) taxpayer. Oil revenue in 2010 was £6.5 billion. Somebody pass me a calculator.

In May 2007 when Salmond wrote to the RBS CEO Frank Goodwin, he said "It was in Scottish interest for RBS to be successful", yet he thinks Scotland should leave their banks' debts with the Union to pay, if they go independant and the Union will just keep bailing them out:D

RBS being the biggest failed UK bank and both Scottish registed banks have the greatest exposure to debts of all UK banks. All banks failing when the Scot Gordon Brown was in charge in his longterm role as Chancellor, despite Salmond calling him "Westminster". :lol:

I don't think it ever entered his head that Scotland will have to take it's debts back and start paying them off:lol:

I didn't see that (I'm in Budapest at the moment) - you don't have a YouTube link, do you?

Salmond is a slick talker, and an excellent debater (I don't see many people get the better of him), but I really dislike his thinly veiled contempt for the Union and would love to see him get what he wants (or what's coming to him ...). He seems to want to have his cake and eat it.

You didn't include the debt that Scotland owes through Salmond taking a three-year (I think) delay on the austerity measures that the rest of the UK took.

And as for Kenny McCaskill, he'd do well in the Tea Party - sanctimonious, jingoistic &^%$(*&^%$"!!!!!

formula Sep 2nd 2012 8:50 am

Re: Daughter returns to UK refused student loan for course fees

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10259018)
I didn't see that (I'm in Budapest at the moment) - you don't have a YouTube link, do you?

It was quite a while ago and I probably saw the link from digitalspy as they were laughing about his reaction to having to take their own banking debts, on the forums.

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10259018)
You didn't include the debt that Scotland owes through Salmond taking a three-year (I think) delay on the austerity measures that the rest of the UK took.

:rofl:
Or the fact that an independent Scotland's sizable fiscal deficit, high public debt and financial reliance on a fast declining (oil) revenue, will mean that Scotland will not enjoy the AAA rating that the Union enjoys on borrowing. Which will mean that Scotland have to pay a higher interest rate on it's borrowing and will be forced to do a Greece and pay off it debts quickly and the austerity measures will have to be really deep and unpleasant for those that reside in Scotland. Not quite the utopia Salmond is trying to paint.

I'm not even sure that with that deficit, that Scotland will be able to join the EU and it's citizens will cease to be able to work in other EEA countries, including Union countries?

Nor did I mention that Salmond's geographical idea on what is Scotland's oil, doesn't match with the actual geographical location.

But even if he got his 90% of the oil revenue based on his idea of the geographical location, oil revenue is still in decline; 12 billion just a few years ago and down to 6.5 billion in 2010 and still dropping. We have excavated the easy oil and any further fields will take a great deal of money to get to the oil, meaning it might not be worth the money in getting this oil as the profit isn't worth it, unless oil prices soar.

Now that he has accepted oil revenue is in decline, he thinks that when the revenue from oil runs out, Scotland will replace their oil revenue from windfarms and sell the energy to the Union (England, Wales and Northern Ireland). Strange that, as I thought these countries have coastlines and plenty of wind too.

He also thinks the Union should allow an independent Scotland to use the Union's, Sterling currency. Even if the union allows that, sterling is governed by Westminster and Westminster will no longer have to make decisions on the £ based on how it affects Scotland. Just look at what has happened to other Euro countries economies when Germany made decisions on the Euro, based on how it affected Germany. Salmond's only other choices of currency is the Euro (if Scotland has the means to join the EU) which will mean Scotland will have to bail out the Euro: or Scotland's own currency - a new currency from a country that can't even get a triple A rating.

Even if Scotland had been independent when oil revenue was at its highest; without Union funds, the debts from it's banks' RBS and HBOS would have left Scotland in a worse state than Iceland is.