Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Daughter returning to UK on US Passport

Daughter returning to UK on US Passport

Old Jan 4th 2009, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Daughter returning to UK on US Passport

OK - so probably the wrong forum as we are heading back to blighty but any advice gratefully received. We fly back to the UK this week - daughter has US passport but UK one hasnt arrived yet - I cant call the embassy until the morning to see whats going on.

I think I am correct in saying that she needs to enter on a UK passport as we arent coming back - but can we enter on the US one and sort it out when we are home? Should we come clean at immigration?

Last edited by Sue; Jan 4th 2009 at 11:04 pm. Reason: Moved from US Imm forum
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter returning to UK on US Passport

If the passport hasn't arrived, you should insist that the embassy issues an emergency travel document to her. Especially if you applied in the normal timescale.

Unfortunately, service standards at many British missions overseas fall well below what is acceptable at the Passport Office in British (higher cost, more delays, more hassle ... )

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Obtain...ports_overseas

Does she have a consular birth certificate?
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JAJ - called the enquiry line at $36 just now and the embassy will call me back within 48 hours! We know they have had it over 5 weeks as I used FedEx - fingers crossed, otherwise we will have to enter on the VWP equivalent and if needs be come back for a visit while we get it sorted.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Td0t will become famous soon enoughTd0t will become famous soon enough

The North American Passport Processing Centre received my application on November 24. I haven't heard anything yet. As I know things slow down around the holidays, I plan to give them a total of 30 business days before I spend on an inquiry.

Please let us know how it goes with your daughter's passport.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 12:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Thanks JAJ - called the enquiry line at $36 just now and the embassy will call me back within 48 hours! We know they have had it over 5 weeks as I used FedEx - fingers crossed, otherwise we will have to enter on the VWP equivalent and if needs be come back for a visit while we get it sorted.
$36 to enquire after a passport is a disgrace - especially when you pay more than the standard U.K. charge anyway - but you should blame the Foreign Office for this money-grabbing.

If the passport is issued after arriving in the U.K., it can be sent across. Or you can approach the Passport Office in Britain for a new application.

But do be aware that if she shows up on arrival intending to stay without any proof of British citizenship they can refuse entry.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ

But do be aware that if she shows up on arrival intending to stay without any proof of British citizenship they can refuse entry.
I realize that but we will be travelling with all our birth certficates and documentation. We are also on a return ticket ( as this was cheaper ) albeit that the return leg is in August. We have means to be able to come back if absolutely necessary so hopefully they will let us in!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

So I had to call back today as hadnt heard anything - rejected the application as my wife's birth certificate is only the 'short' version - the only one she ever had! Honestly I am ashamed to be British - the run around calling premium rate numbers etc is disgusting and getting an answer out of anyone is impossible. So we will head back and blag it and see what happens - we can always come back within the 6 months if needs be. Crazy situation. And I am sure the only reason that they refused it yesterday is cos I had called to chase.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Big D,

That is frustrating! How did it take them 5 weeks to determine that?

Do you mean your daughter's birth certificate is the 'short' version, or is it your wife's cert?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

my wife's! frustrating as hell!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

I applied for three british passports in Ottawa Canada and it took 9days from the day i sent it out, Maybe their was a problem with something? and is causing abit of a delay....sorry you are having such a hard time with it...

This is my only reason for paying high costs in Canada for the passports, was that when we immigrate back they HAVE to come thru immigration with their british passports not CND ones.

good luck.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

I want to go in February but I can't make a firm plan until I get my passport. If there is something wrong with my application I assumed I would have been notified weeks ago. But after what happen to Big D, all has been brought into question.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Big D
So I had to call back today as hadnt heard anything - rejected the application as my wife's birth certificate is only the 'short' version - the only one she ever had! Honestly I am ashamed to be British - the run around calling premium rate numbers etc is disgusting and getting an answer out of anyone is impossible. So we will head back and blag it and see what happens - we can always come back within the 6 months if needs be. Crazy situation. And I am sure the only reason that they refused it yesterday is cos I had called to chase.
Unfortunately the notes do ask for full birth certificate. Short form birth certificates are generally useless for any official purposes.

Once through immigration you can go straight to the Passport Office to apply for a new passport. http://www.passports.gov.uk

The premium rate phone number issue, etc, is a disgrace but if you are planning to return to live in the United Kingdom you had better get used to it as it's commonplace (eg 0870 or 0845 numbers).
Old Jan 8th 2009, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

The premium rate phone number issue, etc, is a disgrace but if you are planning to return to live in the United Kingdom you had better get used to it as it's commonplace (eg 0870 or 0845 numbers).
For non-geographic numbers (08xx) in the UK, you can often find an alternative 'real' phone number at http://www.saynoto0870.com/.

Useful when you need to call one of these numbers from overseas or when you want to use inclusive telephone plan minutes.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just thought I would give you an update - we arrived and when immigration asked how long she was staying I fessed up - I am sure that we could have said 2 weeks and got away with it but really not worth it. After some consultation they gave us 2 months to get the paperwork sorted so the passport application is now in course.

While I understand why it was rejected I still think its crazy how long it took and that it cost me $50 in phone calls to get this information!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the update.

I'm still waiting for mine as well. It took them 6 weeks to send back my application and tell me that I provided the "church" version of my parents' marriage certificate.

I've obtained the long form registration and the certificate from the provincial registrar and resubmitted my application. Hopefully it won't take another 6 weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.