Dangerous Dog Registry

Old Jul 12th 2011, 2:28 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dangerous Dog Registry

Originally Posted by Michelmas
Not at all. What I stated was that my dog would likely bite an unleashed dog that approached him in an uncontrolled manner, hence the "bounding" reference. A bounding dog is displaying the wrong energy, one that comes across as a mix between aggression and dominance. Both of which will set off any dog, even one that is extremely docile. My dog wouldn't bite a friendly dog if approached in the right manner, just as he wouldn't a vicious dog if again, they were introduced in the right way.

Be a blithering idiot all you want by trying to infer something in my comments that doesn't exist, it just makes you look stupid. You are part of the ignorant majority I was referring to.
Charming.

Hopefully, at least for the sake of your dog, the theory about dogs taking on the personality of their owners is just a myth.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I took our young Boxer for a walk on a local trail this morning. There is a sign at the start of the trail as to what is/is not allowed. Pets must be on a leash is one of the do's. Some stupid guy had a black pit bull type dog off a leash. Of course the dog comes up to mine, so I just told the guy to get his dog away. The dog had its tail up, but didn't seem to be otherwise aggresive, but I didn't want to take any chances that the dogs would get into a scrap.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:19 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all. What I stated was that my dog would likely bite an unleashed dog that approached him in an uncontrolled manner, hence the "bounding" reference. A bounding dog is displaying the wrong energy, one that comes across as a mix between aggression and dominance. Both of which will set off any dog, even one that is extremely docile. My dog wouldn't bite a friendly dog if approached in the right manner, just as he wouldn't a vicious dog if again, they were introduced in the right way.

Be a blithering idiot all you want by trying to infer something in my comments that doesn't exist, it just makes you look stupid. You are part of the ignorant majority I was referring to.
I think you take the "blithering idiot" prize - why not remove the "pedantic" from your tagline and be done with it?

Your aggressive arrogance shows why you chose the dog you did. Presumably, it makes you feel macho.

As previously stated, the onus is on you, as the owner of an aggressive and unpredictable dog, to ensure other dogs and their owners are not put in a position of danger. You can blither on all you want about dogs having to approach your special dog in the right way - it doesn't change the fact that you are responsible for the safe behaviour of your hound.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:20 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter's pit bull/boxer mix was attacked by a smaller dog (Heinz 57) through an opening in a fence at the kennel/dog spa she worked. It wouldn't let get. Do you know how to get a biting dog to let go? It's not pleasant. You stick your finger up its butt.....it let go
Attached Thumbnails Dangerous Dog Registry-6.08.10.jpg  

Last edited by tamms_1965; Jul 12th 2011 at 3:29 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:33 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

So if a child came bounding up to your dog, it would attack the child then? I'm sorry, but in the case of pit bulls I do have to agree with the UK position on them, and that is they are illegal, as well as American Staffies. Pit bulls were/are bred for their fighting abilities, and once they get strted there is no way they will be stopped. Refering to your post, you would be OK to introduce your dog to another viscious dog, as long as it was on a lead, therefore from that you infer that all dogs on the leash can be trusted, viscious or not.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:36 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

"The ignorant majority"? That's a good one. Don't tell... me you're one for whom the whole world is out of step, except you?
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:07 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
And if everyone had the courtesy to keep their dogs leashed in a public place, we wouldn't need to have this debate at all!
This I agree with, my dogs are always on leash in areas where they should be, there are plenty of places they can run off leash without me worrying about them being a pain to other people!!

I get so annoyed when people with dogs off leash let them run up to mine, one of mine is slightly more barky esp when on leash - I want to smack the next person who tells me they are friendly and just want to play.. in fact the other day I had to kick a dog away from mine and and the conversation I had with the dogs owners involved alot of swearing!!

Seriously if you can't recall your dog, keep it on leash in public places. All dogs will fight, even a non-fighter will defend itself, why run the risk? I don't get it, mind you most peoples dogs only get to go out on super nice days and are so overstimulated it isn't funny!

Also - pick your dog crap up - BUT that is a whole other debate for another day
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:10 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I'll take a pure bred sheepdog/collie type thing then. At least the worst that could happen is that s/he will round things up.
No true.... Herding dogs are one of the worst for biting... when a herding dog rounds up it nips heels...

A working dog is a working dog, and some traits you CANNOT train out of them, and people are idiots if they think they can!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

bivlover is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread has got me a bit fired up. I have an American Pit Bull.

Now I have said nothing else about my dog, or my relationship with it, but people sure like to make assumptions. For example:

I have a macho ego
My dog should be banned/put down
I cannot control my dog on the leash
My dog is stronger than me
My dog is likely to attack people
I should pay the government money for a special registration, despite the fact that I already pay for a license

I have no interest in writing lots to justify how none of this is true, because people who hold such prejudices will always find ways to tell me I'm wrong anyway despite never having met me or my dog.

The more astute people posting in this thread have pointed out that all dogs can behave unpredictably. There's a reason for this. They're not human. They behave like dogs. Somehow, people seem to expect dogs to behave in the same way as humans do, and if they fail to do so - instead acting with dog instincts - they become "unpredictable" and therefore "dangerous". All dogs.

A dog that is perfectly under the control of their owner will do everything their owner says, always, without question. This is actually incredibly rare. For almost all dogs, no matter how devoted they are to their owner, there are times when they want to run off and chase a squirrel or talk to another dog they have spotted. This is not always safe or appropriate - for all sorts of reasons - dogs do not always understand the impact their behaviour can have on humans - so, for most dogs, at most ages, there is a need for the owners to use leashes, harnesses etc., whatever is appropriate. Some dogs always need to be on a leash when in public. A good dog owner will do their best to train their dog well,and make a good judgement on this, always taking safety as the first priority. Unfortunately there are many bad dog owners. They are the ones who should be punished, not the dogs (who are just behaving like dogs).

I don't see why I should have to pay to be on a register just because there are bad dog owners in the world; I don't see why my dog should be threatened with termination because there are bad dog owners. One of the reasons I was happy to be moving to this country is that I leaving these Daily Mail attitudes behind, it seems I can't escape them!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:46 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bivlover

Now I have said nothing else about my dog, or my relationship with it, but people sure like to make assumptions. For example:

I have a macho ego
I should pay the government money for a special registration, despite the fact that I already pay for a license

I have no interest in writing lots to justify how none of this is true, because people who hold such prejudices will always find ways to tell me I'm wrong anyway despite never having met me or my dog.

The more astute people posting in this thread have pointed out that all dogs can behave unpredictably. There's a reason for this. They're not human. They behave like dogs. Somehow, people seem to expect dogs to behave in the same way as humans do, and if they fail to do so - instead acting with dog instincts - they become "unpredictable" and therefore "dangerous". All dogs.

A dog that is perfectly under the control of their owner will do everything their owner says, always, without question. This is actually incredibly rare. For almost all dogs, no matter how devoted they are to their owner, there are times when they want to run off and chase a squirrel or talk to another dog they have spotted. This is not always safe or appropriate - for all sorts of reasons - dogs do not always understand the impact their behaviour can have on humans - so, for most dogs, at most ages, there is a need for the owners to use leashes, harnesses etc., whatever is appropriate. Some dogs always need to be on a leash when in public. A good dog owner will do their best to train their dog well,and make a good judgement on this, always taking safety as the first priority. Unfortunately there are many bad dog owners. They are the ones who should be punished, not the dogs (who are just behaving like dogs).

I don't see why I should have to pay to be on a register just because there are bad dog owners in the world; I don't see why my dog should be threatened with termination because there are bad dog owners. One of the reasons I was happy to be moving to this country is that I leaving these Daily Mail attitudes behind, it seems I can't escape them!
I can't speak for myself, but I was talking specifically about bad owners and the responsibility of all owners to ensure other people and their dogs are not endangered, by either the nature of their dog, or their inability to control it. You surely cannot deny that some breeds are innately more aggressive and unpredictable than others - like it or not, Pits are among the most aggressive. Humans have ensured that, by selective breeding.

You sound as if you take being a Pit owner seriously and take responsibility for yours. Unfortunately, there are too many who see Pits as a macho status symbol and love to use them to intimidate people. These people are the ones that get all Pits branded with the same bad name.

As for my "macho" remark, that was purely directed to Michelmas who, by his posting stance, depicts the stereotypical Pit owner, to whom all other dogs are inferior weaklings.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:50 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bivlover

I have a macho ego

Other than the anecdotal story about my sister's dog being attacked, and that was really a story about the behavior of the owner more than the dog, I've tried not to single out pit bulls.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 12:58 am
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
I can't speak for myself, but I was talking specifically about bad owners and the responsibility of all owners to ensure other people and their dogs are not endangered, by either the nature of their dog, or their inability to control it. You surely cannot deny that some breeds are innately more aggressive and unpredictable than others - like it or not, Pits are among the most aggressive. Humans have ensured that, by selective breeding.

You sound as if you take being a Pit owner seriously and take responsibility for yours. Unfortunately, there are too many who see Pits as a macho status symbol and love to use them to intimidate people. These people are the ones that get all Pits branded with the same bad name.

As for my "macho" remark, that was purely directed to Michelmas who, by his posting stance, depicts the stereotypical Pit owner, to whom all other dogs are inferior weaklings.
This comment also puts you into the ignorant majority category when it comes to dogs and dog owners. I don't feel macho with my dog, I didn't even pick my pitbull, it was a rescue from an unfortunate situation. My other dog is another rescue, a purebred american foxhound that was pulled from a mill farm. Is that supposed to make me feel macho too?
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:05 am
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
So if a child came bounding up to your dog, it would attack the child then? I'm sorry, but in the case of pit bulls I do have to agree with the UK position on them, and that is they are illegal, as well as American Staffies. Pit bulls were/are bred for their fighting abilities, and once they get strted there is no way they will be stopped. Refering to your post, you would be OK to introduce your dog to another viscious dog, as long as it was on a lead, therefore from that you infer that all dogs on the leash can be trusted, viscious or not.
Not at all, but if a child came up to my dog and started slapping its head and pulling its tail, there's a very good chance he would, and it has nothing to do with his breed. Most any dog would.

I can be as ignorant as the rest of you. All skin heads should be killed because they cause violence, by your reckoning...
all blonde haired girls should be sterilised at birth because they'll grow up to be promiscuous... again, by your reckoning

Neither of the above statements are true, but are beliefs held be idiots who know no better. Many of the commentators have no knowledge of dogs or how to handle them and really should refrain from posting.

And again, don't infer anything from my posts. I state my position only, and anything you "infer" is up to you as is probably wrong.

Last edited by Michelmas; Jul 13th 2011 at 1:07 am.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:16 am
Life goes on.

This comment also puts you into the ignorant majority category when it comes to dogs and dog owners. I don't feel macho with my dog, I didn't even pick my pitbull, it was a rescue from an unfortunate situation. My other dog is another rescue, a purebred american foxhound that was pulled from a mill farm. Is that supposed to make me feel macho too?
Well, you need something to make up for your inferiority complex. May as well be a big dog.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:23 am
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Well, you need something to make up for your inferiority complex. May as well be a big dog.
Or this? http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1532&bih=700

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.