Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Dammit! Australian pensions can't be paid in UK...

Wikiposts

Dammit! Australian pensions can't be paid in UK...

Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dammit! Australian pensions can't be paid in UK...

Any 'wealth' has disappeared into 3 children, their instruments, education and vast amount of chewing gum they seem to get through!

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
If you were in the 45% tax bracket (which would actually only apply to part of your income) - you would be waaayyyy too rich to get the Australian state pension (because it is means-tested and only available to people who are not that well off).
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:56 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
and vast amount of chewing gum they seem to get through!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Because that's where I've been paying my taxes for the past 24 years and I don't think it's fair that any payment I would have received should go unpaid just because I choose to spend some time elsewhere. Pension payments are collected via main taxes on earnings in Australia, unlike the UK. Considering we've been paying 47% tax rates, it'd be nice to have something to show for it, nothing more than we're entitled to, just the tiny pension that's paid here would help.
Interesting, I have always been under the impression that the compulsory contributions into Super were the pension provision of the future and that tax was just into the welfare system of which the age benefit was just another payment for poor old people. Mind you, the 9% wont give you a retirement income which would be liveable on and so we have salary sacrificed and paid well over and above the 9% for several years. I just wish we had done it earlier. However being a SFR is a distinct disadvantage (no benefit from the 47c in the $1 paid over many years at all, no help with medical expenses, no other casual handouts or benefits etc) and sometimes it makes you wonder whether it is worth it or whether we should just blow the lot and hope that the govt will step in and pay our bills!

It's not easy being elderly!
Old Sep 18th 2009, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Quoll,....SFR?
Sadly Flatulating Rear? Senior, Frail & Retired? Nope...can't work it out but I'm sure it's blindingly obvious.

Originally Posted by quoll
Interesting, I have always been under the impression that the compulsory contributions into Super were the pension provision of the future and that tax was just into the welfare system of which the age benefit was just another payment for poor old people. Mind you, the 9% wont give you a retirement income which would be liveable on and so we have salary sacrificed and paid well over and above the 9% for several years. I just wish we had done it earlier. However being a SFR is a distinct disadvantage (no benefit from the 47c in the $1 paid over many years at all, no help with medical expenses, no other casual handouts or benefits etc) and sometimes it makes you wonder whether it is worth it or whether we should just blow the lot and hope that the govt will step in and pay our bills!

It's not easy being elderly!
Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Quoll,....SFR?
Sadly Flatulating Rear? Senior, Frail & Retired? Nope...can't work it out but I'm sure it's blindingly obvious.
Yup, you were right on both counts but, otherwise, that sad little breed of Self Funded Retirees.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

westwind is a jewel in the roughwestwind is a jewel in the roughwestwind is a jewel in the roughwestwind is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by quoll
You mean the Centrelink age benefits or your super?

I was always under the impression that Centrelink benefits wouldnt be an option if you lived in UK (however if you live in Greece or Italy you can still get it!)

Have to rely on Super I would think - I wondered about that and just assumed that it would be a matter of transferring from your Aus bank account at regular intervals. Given the means test I doubt we are ever going to be eligible for Centrelink benefits anway and we are not wealthy by any means!
I queried getting the age pension paid if I returned to the UK. Was told by Centrelink that if I have lived in Oz for a period of 25 years or more and also lived here for the two years prior to claiming at 65, ( I still squeeze into this bracket) then I would be entitled to receive the Age Pension as an ongoing payment so long as I continued to meet the income/asset test. If I have lived here for less than 25 years, the pension would only be paid for a period of time.:
Old Sep 18th 2009, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

They change with the wind that lot. I've been told a variety of stories. Ten years paying tax, then need to stay two years after applying for pension is amongst the tales I've been told. Surely, they have a policy written down somewhere?

Originally Posted by westwind
I queried getting the age pension paid if I returned to the UK. Was told by Centrelink that if I have lived in Oz for a period of 25 years or more and also lived here for the two years prior to claiming at 65, ( I still squeeze into this bracket) then I would be entitled to receive the Age Pension as an ongoing payment so long as I continued to meet the income/asset test. If I have lived here for less than 25 years, the pension would only be paid for a period of time.:
Old Sep 18th 2009, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Does this help? http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=au (Answer - not at the moment because Centrelink's website is currently down, but it might do later....)
Old Sep 24th 2009, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

It would appear (see link below) that 25 years residency will get you a full pension. Less than that is pro-rata.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...n_how_much.htm
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quokka
It would appear (see link below) that 25 years residency will get you a full pension. Less than that is pro-rata.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...n_how_much.htm

But she still cant claim unless she is still LIVING IN australia at time of claim.

If she goes back to UK doesnt matter how long she lived here - not entitled. However I would be happy for someone to correct me if that is wrong, but I dont think so.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Yes, you would need to be here and resident. Link below.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne..._residence.htm
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

Hi Ezzie
If you remember you posted this question sometime last year and you responded to me by telling me we wont get it.Ifollowed the link you gave me and it was in black and white no pension.We have been here 18 years and head back to Scotland in November.They (the goverment) want us to self funded retirees+have super.I also answered saying the pension will be for the very poor only.The cut off age i think is if you were born after 1976 no pension (was talk about it years ago.We (the family discussed it then).Maybe because we have our own businesses is how our husbands knew of it.(accountant?).

You also mentioned having to back pay the national insurance for the UK in the same thread.The amount of credits for national insurance is now 30 years.We will get a UK one if my dh works for the next 11 years and we will also get our Australian super.