Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Customs Form .. Transfer of Residence

Customs Form .. Transfer of Residence

Old Apr 20th 2018, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs Form .. Transfer of Residence

Jumping on this thread as I’ve been wondering, what happens if you are returning to the UK but booking temporary accomodation such as AirB&B type of thing until your feet are on the ground in the UK and are then able to look for an actual rental place to live? Presumably you’d be unable to provide an actual moving address? Can you provide an explantion of the above and area where you intend to settle in the UK, or do you need an actual address, such as a relatives, even if you have no intention of ever staying with them, in order to not be charged any import duty?
Old Apr 20th 2018, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
Jumping on this thread as I’ve been wondering, what happens if you are returning to the UK but booking temporary accomodation such as AirB&B type of thing until your feet are on the ground in the UK and are then able to look for an actual rental place to live? Presumably you’d be unable to provide an actual moving address? Can you provide an explantion of the above and area where you intend to settle in the UK, or do you need an actual address, such as a relatives, even if you have no intention of ever staying with them, in order to not be charged any import duty?
What our son did last year was to provide our address even though we knew we didn't have space for his furniture and planned to find some stroage facility to store it, then tell the company to send it there once it had arrived in country. As it happens he was able to ship it as a shared load, save a few hundred dollars, and have a longer shipping time of 12 to 16 weeks. He figured that would also cut down on storage costs once it arrived but amazingly enough he bought a house and got the keys the day before it was delivered so was able to give the new address to the shipping company.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
What our son did last year was to provide our address even though we knew we didn't have space for his furniture and planned to find some stroage facility to store it, then tell the company to send it there once it had arrived in country. As it happens he was able to ship it as a shared load, save a few hundred dollars, and have a longer shipping time of 12 to 16 weeks. He figured that would also cut down on storage costs once it arrived but amazingly enough he bought a house and got the keys the day before it was delivered so was able to give the new address to the shipping company.
So did he then have to contact customs and update them with his new delivery address details, or was it all approved and not mattered by that point?
Old Apr 20th 2018, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
So did he then have to contact customs and update them with his new delivery address details, or was it all approved and not mattered by that point?
It didn't matter once it had landed in Southampton and cleared customs. I think they really only need a contact address and phone number. Many folks must be in a similar situation without the final destination known when they ship their goods. When we shipped our goods in January 2017 I put down the rental house we had been staying at in England even though we were well through the buying process of a house. Our shipment took 6 weeks by which time we had completed on our house but I waited until the shipping company informed us that our belongings had cleared customs and wanted to confirm where we wanted it delivered and at that point I changed the address to our new house.
Old May 18th 2018, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Sangers1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does the ToR affect the residency of the country you stay in? I live in Dubai but am refurnishing the house and wanted to ship some of the items back to a UK rental property. Will I get taxed if I fill out a ToR form?
Old May 18th 2018, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sangers1
Does the ToR affect the residency of the country you stay in? I live in Dubai but am refurnishing the house and wanted to ship some of the items back to a UK rental property. Will I get taxed if I fill out a ToR form?

The clue is in the name ... Transfer of Residence!
Old May 18th 2018, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Yes I totally know what ToR stands for...! I am trying to query if I can do a ToR if I am still a resident of Dubai?
Old May 19th 2018, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I totally know what ToR stands for...! I am trying to query if I can do a ToR if I am still a resident of Dubai?
Are you transfering your residence to the UK?
Old May 19th 2018, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Are you transfering your residence to the UK?
Exactly.

I did our ToR while still a resident of the USA, leaving the USA to become a resident of the UK 3 weeks later (Our goods took 6 weeks to arrive).
Old May 19th 2018, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

I'm still resident in Dubai
Old May 19th 2018, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Exactly.

I did our ToR while still a resident of the USA, leaving the USA to become a resident of the UK 3 weeks later (Our goods took 6 weeks to arrive).
Did you have to pay tax?
Old May 19th 2018, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Did you have to pay tax?
No, because everything we shipped we had owned for over 6 months.
Old May 19th 2018, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm still resident in Dubai
That's not what I asked ... Are you transfering your residence to the UK?
Old May 20th 2018, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you paid something to live in the house then mark it as rent, other may cause confusion and allow more questions which could hold things up.
Old May 20th 2018, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
That's not what I asked ... Are you transfering your residence to the UK?
No I'm not transferring the residency.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.