Cumbria not Canada...

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cumbria not Canada...

Originally Posted by slidingbyee
I know, I know, but I'm talking about the outlying ares where simple folk like me can still exist, not Kendal, Windermere etc...
I only said that as I've had several convos with estate agents and they all say it's southern money and cash buyers within the National Park boundaries and that's why the prices are high. I know Borrowdale best and the price floor there is over £300k.....

I really like round by Whitehaven. If it wasn't for Sellafield, I'd be happy to move there. The bakery in Gosforth does a lovely meat pie.

They can only really put in local occupancy clauses on new builds and where planning is required.

Completely off topic, a fab website....

http://www.leaney.org/

Last edited by G586; Jan 23rd 2009 at 7:36 pm. Reason: edited for clarity
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:29 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G586
I only said that as I've had several convos with estate agents and they all say it's southern money and cash buyers and that's why the prices are high.

I really like round by Whitehaven. If it wasn't for Sellafield, I'd be happy to move there. The bakery in Gosforth does a lovely meat pie.

The last time I was there, the council had put a cap on outsiders buying up local properties unless they were going to live in the area full time, work, send their children to school, etc, etc. This was to stop homes being bought up as holiday homes preventing the locals from affording to stay in the area.
My children were both born in Risedale Maternity Home in barrow in Furness. and it was during their era and as they grew up that there was a huge outcry about their generation having to leave the area because they couldn't afford to remain there.

Looking back, this was one issue but in reality, it's a bit of bubble location where Postman Pat really does exist. Kids really need to escape to go and love life in the wider world so that they know how to suvive.

Gorgeous place though. Rains a lot. I wouldn't want to live there again because it can be a melancholy place. That's where Wordsworth got his inspiration from, the shores of lake Winderemere.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chutley
Well folks, I'm in Canada for 3 months on a Ski Instructor Course - a career break from the military. One month in now, and whilst the skiing is good, and doing something completely different from my 'day-job', I am learning much, much more.

I realise that Banff is a tourist town, but looking across the piste (!!) of Canada, I cannot believe how expensive it is. Groceries, cars, electrical goods, clothes are WAY more expensive than I remember on my last Recce in 2003. Property has gone through the roof, and wages just do not compare. Even if I discount the exchange rates, and think in terms of Dollars, it is still expensive.

Unfortunately, whilst in a beautiful setting, Banff and Canmore cannot possibly give you a 'proper' view of a regular Canadian town with regards to costs and property. We're only another 50 mins up the road in Cochrane - which is also a little more expensive than Calgary - but you can actually afford to buy homes here . Also - you don't have the competition for grocery stores in your towns. Much as I really like my Safeways, it is certainly not the most competitive on prices, and that's pretty much all you've got out there (plus Sobeys - another expensive one). I agree that second hand cars are expensive - but new cars, compared to UK and even European prices are very very good.

Senior management executive jobs advertised at in Canmore Alberta for $53-58,000 - how on earth could you afford a decent property on that kind of money? Granted we could bring enough money from the UK to buy something reasonable outright, but the reality is that when you start earning dollars, stuf here is expensive.

That isn't a great deal - it's OK - and if two of you were on that kind of salary then you'd be absolutely fine. We have no mortgage, and an income a little above that, with two expensive children - we're OK - not flush - but OK. But again, Canmore is not 'normal' - in the nicest possible way

Alberta is absolutley bloody freezing. No ! The ski season runs from first week in November until the end of May. That's 8 months of winter. I love snowsports, but living in a fridge, shovelling snow, scraping the car would soon start to get very tedious. Haven't seen much of BC, but no interest in the Vancouver area as way too expensive and too much rain.

Winter arrived here properly in December - it will go again by early April with the potential for a bit more snow here and there. Sunshine and Lake Louise might be open a bit longer - but check out the altitude!

Even the skiing in Banff has been over-hyped. The ski-area is absolutely tiny compared to even an ordinary European resort Where are you working/learning? Please don't say that Sunshine is tiny ???? and is 25 minutes drive from Banff. The public ransport to and from the slopes is in ancient buses, that only go every hour to an hour and a half!! They go every ten minutes in most European resorts.

So I'm going to enjoy my time here and continue to look at where I am through very untinted eyes. We are also back here staying in Kamloops on a 4-week house exchange in July. But I am now pretty certain that we would not have a better quality of life over here. I'm sure the wife will agree when she comes over and sees it for herself!

Even if the UK is in recession, it is still a much cheaper place to live and our disposable income will be higher which in turn will allow the overseas trips etc.

So anybody that has a chance to have an extended look before you leap... it is well worth it. I'm learning to appreciate some of the things I have taken for granted in the UK.

Time to start some serious recces of other places in the UK
It's great that you've had the chance to come a look - but I still think that staying in Banff gives a distorted view. Not saying you should change your mind - other areas of the UK could work out just as well. Enjoy it while you can
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

chutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nice

Originally Posted by ann m
It's great that you've had the chance to come a look - but I still think that staying in Banff gives a distorted view. Not saying you should change your mind - other areas of the UK could work out just as well. Enjoy it while you can
Hey, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated

I do realise that banff is a ski resort and doesn't represent the wider Canada. But looking at Calgary/national papers gives me an idea of prices and they are a lot higher than I expected. And the bottom line is that money gives you the ability to go and enjoy yourself... no point being close to a ski resort if you can't afford lift tickets etc.

Any way you dress it up, it is bloody cold here for a long time - ski season runs Nov to May. And yes, I do think Sunshine is Tiny (sorry!) - I suppose it all depends on your perspective and experience. I'm a very, very experienced skier (I've instructed military groups for 6 weeks a year for the last 15 years, all over Europe and the USA, inaddition to years of hoildays previously) Banff has enought to keep my interest for just about a week.

We are coming back to Kamloops in July for a month - house exchange - so will see another area to base our opinion on.

But since we've come so far down the line, we will finish the application process we started, land for a holiday and get our PR card sent to our friend's address, then use the 2 in 5 rule. Means we have up to another 3 years in the UK to make up our minds/find a job before we have to come and live here for 2 years to keep the PR status.

Meanwhile, that gives us the time to suss out some different areas in the UK.

I do love this site though - you get some really good perspectives on the whole emigration thing and some really useful advice from folks who have been there and tried it.

Last edited by chutley; Jan 23rd 2009 at 11:12 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

But since we've come so far down the line, we will finish the application process we started, land for a holiday and get our PR card sent to our friend's address, then use the 2 in 5 rule. Means we have up to another 3 years in the UK to make up our minds/find a job before we have to come and live here for 2 years to keep the PR status.
I think that's a good idea chutley. It keeps all your options opens. Who knows where you will be or what you might fancy in 2 or 3 years time
Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:53 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Hi Chutley,

Guess what I live in Penrith. We migrated to Oz in 2002 and came back 6 months later, missed Cumbria so much. Living here is a great area to live and to bring up children. My hubby and I have never had any problems getting jobs, yes we are both Cumbrian born and bred but neither of us have ever got a job because of who we know.

My hubby was born and bred in a country village and when we married in 1984 I went there to live. We there until we went to oz and it was a real community and the one thing that locals complained about was people from away moving into the area but not interested in getting involved in the community and what was going on.

There are plenty of houses for sale, especially at the moment but yes you do pay to live with a view, but you can easily pick up a three bed semi in Penrith itself for around £170,000.

Schools in Penrith are good, one of them being Queen Elizabeth Grammar School which has very high exam results. They are a selective school though with kids having to take an entrance test. They actually have some pupils travelling up from Manchester every day by train to attend.

The thing I like about living in Penrith, in fact living in Cumbria is that everyone is so friendly and helpful I was in Oz 6 months and can't say I made any friends out there (a part from the ones I had made before we left) back in Penrith where I hadn't lived for 23 years I have made loads of new friends and when I say friends I mean real friends not just acquaintances

So yes if you are thinking of locating in the UK Cumbria is a good option, just don't tell everyone as we don't want it to get to full

Susan
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

So if you've looked at any of my previous posts, you will see that we have been questioning whether to emigrate to Canada. Well, we've pretty much decided against it now - poor exchange rates, property downturn, lack of employment security, no NHS, miserly holiday entitlement and a wealthof information and advice from BE.

So we've thought about changing our lives, but staying here in the UK...

We have good careers and are generally happy with our lot, but the main reaons we were looking to go across the pond was for more space around us - particularly our home - and access to mountains and scenery. So we've decided to start researching the possibilities of moving to Cumbria instead.
Anybody on here from Cumbria - any comments on the county? Looking at somewhere bewtween Penrith to Carlisle.

Had some great comments from people on here previously, would appreciate any advice.
Hi - I live between Penrith and Carlisle. I was born in this area but I lived in a few other places in the UK and came back here a decade ago. I didn't come back because I love the place - my kids were young and I have family here.

There are a few pros and cons to living here. Access to the Lake District is good and the mountains and scenery are amazing. But we usually get such poor summer weather that it's difficult to take advantage of outdoor activities on a regular basis.

We enjoy walking in the mountains but didn't get to enjoy it much this year due to the rain.

House prices are not as bad as they are in some areas but they have increased a lot over the past few years. Wages are low here and depending on what industry you work in, you may struggle to find a comparable job with a decent salary.

Another poster mentioned that people are friendly in Penrith. I've lived there and some people are friendly in Penrith and in the small villages.

Trouble is, too many are also nosy, gossipy, narrow minded and clicky. If you fit in with those types you'll love it. If not, you'll probably want to keep yourself to yourself.

Also, you will find few people who aren't white in the area and there tends to be a lot of racism. My kids tell me that most of the children in their school are racist - another reason I want to move them away from here.

Sorry if I've mentioned too many negatives but it's a whole lot different visiting here, to living here. If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:15 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Cumbria is a great place to live if you can tolerate the weather. But the weather is what makes it beautiful. We lived there for 2 years before moving overseas and still miss it. Brampton, just off the A69, was a lovely little village and reasonably priced houses for the area. It's minutes from Carlisle, for work and shopping, and Hadrians wall runs almost through it for the historian in you. Seriously worth considering although i have to say i prefer Dubai for the weather!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:37 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Well folks, I'm in Canada for 3 months on a Ski Instructor Course - a career break from the military. One month in now, and whilst the skiing is good, and doing something completely different from my 'day-job', I am learning much, much more.

I realise that Banff is a tourist town, but looking across the piste (!!) of Canada, I cannot believe how expensive it is. Groceries, cars, electrical goods, clothes are WAY more expensive than I remember on my last Recce in 2003. Property has gone through the roof, and wages just do not compare. Even if I discount the exchange rates, and think in terms of Dollars, it is still expensive.

Senior management executive jobs advertised at in Canmore Alberta for $53-58,000 - how on earth could you afford a decent property on that kind of money? Granted we could bring enough money from the UK to buy something reasonable outright, but the reality is that when you start earning dollars, stuf here is expensive.

Alberta is absolutley bloody freezing. The ski season runs from first week in November until the end of May. That's 8 months of winter. I love snowsports, but living in a fridge, shovelling snow, scraping the car would soon start to get very tedious. Haven't seen much of BC, but no interest in the Vancouver area as way too expensive and too much rain.

Even the skiing in Banff has been over-hyped. The ski-area is absolutely tiny compared to even an ordinary European resort and is 25 minutes drive from Banff. The public ransport to and from the slopes is in ancient buses, that only go every hour to an hour and a half!! They go every ten minutes in most European resorts.

So I'm going to enjoy my time here and continue to look at where I am through very untinted eyes. We are also back here staying in Kamloops on a 4-week house exchange in July. But I am now pretty certain that we would not have a better quality of life over here. I'm sure the wife will agree when she comes over and sees it for herself!

Even if the UK is in recession, it is still a much cheaper place to live and our disposable income will be higher which in turn will allow the overseas trips etc.

So anybody that has a chance to have an extended look before you leap... it is well worth it. I'm learning to appreciate some of the things I have taken for granted in the UK.

Time to start some serious recces of other places in the UK
Vancouver has a much better climate than Cumbria. If you don't like rain and do like the sun I'd give Cumbria a wide berth.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 1:07 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Danny B
Have you actually been here & had a look around for yourself or are you basing those comments on what other people have told you on the internet?

"exchange rates, property downturn, lack of employment security" are hardly Canadian specific issues. Last time I read the news the UK was almost on the brink of a recession, two million people unemployed by Christmas and the pound at a five year low against the US dollar.

Any decent Canadian job will give you free health care (ie- paid benefits) & 15 days holiday.
Have you onsidered other parts of Canada before completely discrediting the whole country because of one province?

Just a thought..
My husband works for IMP, apparently a decent company but began on 10 days and only 15 days after three years. I believe that is the standard here which is a shocker to anyone.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 1:10 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

So if you've looked at any of my previous posts, you will see that we have been questioning whether to emigrate to Canada. Well, we've pretty much decided against it now - poor exchange rates, property downturn, lack of employment security, no NHS, miserly holiday entitlement and a wealthof information and advice from BE.

So we've thought about changing our lives, but staying here in the UK...

We have good careers and are generally happy with our lot, but the main reaons we were looking to go across the pond was for more space around us - particularly our home - and access to mountains and scenery. So we've decided to start researching the possibilities of moving to Cumbria instead.
Anybody on here from Cumbria - any comments on the county? Looking at somewhere bewtween Penrith to Carlisle.

Had some great comments from people on here previously, would appreciate any advice.
I had a friend visits there very regularly who live in London normally but love visiting Cumbria. They said this year has been terrible with the rain and the people at the B+B they stay at have decided to sell up as the weather has got too much for them. I guess if you don't mind rain....gallons of it.....?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling
Why not also consider Derbyshire and the Peak district?

The reason I say this is because there are several big cities within easy commuting distance and therefore more work opportunities.

G
I looked at Buxton in Derbyshire. A pleasant Victorian spa town close to the Peak District and has the advantage of an easy commute to Manchester and other major cities.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by johnh009
I looked at Buxton in Derbyshire. A pleasant Victorian spa town close to the Peak District and has the advantage of an easy commute to Manchester and other major cities.
I love Buxton and all the market towns in the area. I particularly like Saddleworth - Upper Mill and Dobs Cross are my favs. Very central and not as far as you might think from Manchester - not that its any great feat being close but had advantages for work etc.

I hiked the Peak District for years when I was younger. Half my family are in Manchester are the other half are in Lancaster and the Lakes.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dboy
I love Buxton and all the market towns in the area. I particularly like Saddleworth - Upper Mill and Dobs Cross are my favs. Very central and not as far as you might think from Manchester - not that its any great feat being close but had advantages for work etc.

I hiked the Peak District for years when I was younger. Half my family are in Manchester are the other half are in Lancaster and the Lakes.
I used to go youth hostelling in Edale and Castleton. I always thought it was one of the more overlooked parts of the UK, certainly less commercialised than many areas. And, yes, the public transport links to quite a few major centres are good.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by johnh009
I used to go youth hostelling in Edale and Castleton. I always thought it was one of the more overlooked parts of the UK, certainly less commercialised than many areas. And, yes, the public transport links to quite a few major centres are good.
It is an overlooked area of the UK and is right on the door step of Yorkshire and the edge of the Moors. If i ever do go back, its definately an area I would consider, would also be close to family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.