Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

For crying out loud....Tax, NI, pension contributions...

Wikiposts

For crying out loud....Tax, NI, pension contributions...

Old Sep 21st 2009, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For crying out loud....Tax, NI, pension contributions...

Yup! Done our homework and worked it all out. We were surprised too as we always thought we were taxed more here in Oz.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Ezzie are you sure nhs on top of tax comes to more than aussie tax?

Last time I looked at it, UK NI and tax together was similar or less in some tax brackets, than OZ tax and meicare.

Have not checked it out recently, might be worth checking out.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 5:47 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=N1cky;7952404]
Originally Posted by ezzie
As I said, we couldn't even afford to pay 10% of private fees for 3 kids. Highly unlikely all three would be selected and the scholarship of Exeter is 25% of fees (may go up to 50% if you're sensational). The auditions are Feb for next year anyway. Thanks for your work anyhow, but I really have done extensive research.

You spent $25k on an instrument, I should hope they are pretty sensational. If you can afford to do that, I can't imagine you are that hard up
I wonder if it would be worth $25k now? If it hasnt lost value then selling it could help towards Uni fees. Its not ideal but when Ezzie is back on her feet and settled in the UK, I guess she could save to buy a new one.

My friends daughter sold her teens flute when she really hit hard times, she coulnt afford to pay for the lessons and discussed it with her 14 year old daughter who agreed. Not sure if it kept value though, some things increase with value as they get older and some dont.

To be honest I think if someone is determined and really wants to go back, they will build a new life from scratch and accept the nice things will come much later on when things shape up.

We only just managed to buy a car, now its gone - its back to the buses until we can afford another. Still, you just get on with it I guess.

Does anyone remember that poster who was desperate to move from the USA back to the UK and she was disabled? I know she sold absolutely everything to get there, a few of us were in on her 'escape' and helped her.

When she got there, she really struggled - poor thing and had to go back. I often think about her, she was totally inspirational in her fight to get back to the UK and it wasn't her lack of determination that didnt make it work, it seemed everything was stacked against her.

But she sold everything and all but turned up with next to nothing at Heathrow and made huge sacrafices. I am going to search for her posts, I wonder where she is now.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 7:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Ezzie are you sure nhs on top of tax comes to more than aussie tax?

Last time I looked at it, UK NI and tax together was similar or less in some tax brackets, than OZ tax and meicare.

Have not checked it out recently, might be worth checking out.
Must admit thats what I've found - when I came out I ended up paying the same in tax here (Aus) as in tax + NI back home. Plus no worrying about Medicare surcharges, bulk billing etc over there.

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 21st 2009 at 7:10 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Ezzie,

I hope some things settle down for you and your family very soon. I am sure the way you feel is hard right now.

I couldn't help but pick up on the music thing with your children. It is obviously something you have heavily invested in with your children. My husband and I are both from families that funded our "talent". I have no idea how it all is in your family but I just wanted to say hold on to the fact that giving yourself to your children will go much further than the music (I know it may feel like you are giving them something with the music but trust giving you is deeper than just this alone). I've still not worked through the whole scenario of one or more of my kids being talented and that talent needing huge financial input (our kids are very young still) but hubby and I have often talked about where we would draw the line. Sometimes saying to kids this is where the line for us as a family is just as important as continuing huge investment at all cost. I'm not sure if my waffle makes any sense and hoping not judgemental, probably even barking up the wrong tree but not being able to afford all the things you do in Oz isn't what matters. Relationships with each other is what matters.

I've nearly cracked up over my decision to stay or go. My focus was very much on this here and that there blah blah blah and just as I nearly had a break down over it all I have reached the point where I know I might need to do what's right for me and hubby and if I do that the kids will be just fine. You'll get to the place you need to so you are able to make a decision.

Just a thought. How about selling up your house and taking a few steps in that direction. Might you feel differently? May it help feel a little bit more neutral. It certainly has helped me.

I hear the struggles in the decision making. Rather upsetting and draining but keep strong. Trust yourself. You are a mum of three kids and you'll be fine and so will your kids.

p.s sorry not checking this or re-reading just some of my thoughts. best of luck

pps. I know this wasn't really in line with the tax threads. I started reading it because I to was just wondering about the money side of it all but you know I realise that if I start getting into this detail again my head is going to be full of too much information to make a decision. It's almost like information overload. I have to keep it simple or I'm off again. x

Last edited by PoppetUK; Sep 22nd 2009 at 2:31 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Based on this view, do you think you should pay more tax than Australians while living in Australia.
Good point.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I've also seen scholarships way in excess of 10%. KES states they offer 2 100% scholarships per year, they won't be the only school.
KES was my high school. From talking to the Chief Master this spring, the kind of people getting 100% scholarships aren't exactly people who are able to spring $$$ on musical instruments. And that's putting it mildly.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Sep 22nd 2009 at 6:14 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:12 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
KES was my high school. From talking to the Chief Master this spring, the kind of people getting 100% scholarships aren't exactly people who are able to spring $$$ on musical instruments. And that's putting it mildly.
Very true and if that instrument is still worth 25k then selling it would save alot of problems. You do what you have to do in order to make it work.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:44 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Sydney I have a big house with a pool overlooking some lovely bushviews. We have good jobs and dh brings in a good wage. My three kids are happy, at good schools and have THE loveliest of friends. We live in a safe area - the youth are delightful, no litter or grafitti. The neighbours wave to us and will have drinks evenings each week in the street. Life is very easy, but every weekend I'm looking for something to do without success. I still don't feel that 'click' like when I talk to a Pom.

Are you planning to work when/if you go back Ezzie? A couple of times you mention that your husband brings in a good wage - there seems to be quite a focus on that.

How does your earning potential compare to the difference in your husband's income? Maybe if the move is to succeed, you will both have to go and work as well to maintain the lifestyle that you aspire too?

S

Last edited by Swerv-o; Sep 22nd 2009 at 4:45 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

He earns quite well here in Sydney but would be dropping around GB15,000k to work in the UK.

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Are you planning to work when/if you go back Ezzie? A couple of times you mention that your husband brings in a good wage - there seems to be quite a focus on that.

How does your earning potential compare to the difference in your husband's income? Maybe if the move is to succeed, you will both have to go and work as well to maintain the lifestyle that you aspire too?

S
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 6:14 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

He earns quite well here in Sydney but would be dropping around GB15,000k to work in the UK.

Could you make that deficit up on his behalf through your work interests?

S
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'd be dropping about 5-7k!

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Could you make that deficit up on his behalf through your work interests?

S
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 6:37 pm
has lost The Game

I'd be dropping about 5-7k!

Hmmm. So the numbers don't quite add up then do they?

Have you considered moving somewhere a bit more interesting in Sydney? I've been to Castle Hill, and to be honest, I wouldn't really want to live there - it's unbelievably bland, and miles from anywhere.

Have you looked at some of the inner west suburbs with nice villagey feels to them? Erskineville, Paddington, Glebe, Balmain/Birchgrove, Drummoyne all spring immediately to mind.

Maybe a little more what you are after? Swimming pools and views aren't everything they are often hyped up to be...

S
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

wannado is an unknown quantity at this point

I am with some of the other posts I;m afreaid. All you seem to concentrate on everytime I read any of your posts are the contributions you will be paying and how little salary you will be getting in the UK I would be interested to know what your husband does as i find it hard to believe he will be getting less unless he is a blue collar worker as the trades do seem to do better in Australia. I think I read somewhere you were trained as a nurse AND a teacher and if that is correct you would have no prbloem obtaining a goood job and better paid than Sydney.

The Hills district is not a particularly good place to live in Sydney, cheaper I know than other suburbs, with some unsavoury elements nearby so you might be better moving somewhere better in Sydney than moving all across the world. It doesnt seem as if yo are really serious anyway as you talk about missing the three year university date in one post but dont seem to be getting things organised like house on market, packing etc so it all seems more of a hypothetical scenario really. All very odd!
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I've been trying to get back to the States for over 2 years. In order to do so, I'll probably take a £40k hit on my house here (i.e., all of the capital I have put into it), a drop in salary of at least 20% and a drop in rank, and it will probably cost me easily £10k-£20k to physically make the move, set up a new house, etc. Unfortunately, I am not a corporate expat type, so don't get all expenses paid.

It drives me absolutely nuts that by moving back to the UK I have really screwed myself financially (never mind the personal cost) - and that consequently, returning to the US will consolidate this financial loss.

The point I'm making though is that I'm willing to take the financial hit because I have such a strong desire to get back there where I feel like I belong. I try damned hard not to mull over the financial cost of getting what I want, because this is a form of self-torture that is just not productive or helpful to me.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

wannado is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to make it clear my comment was to Ezzy not you Dun Roaming. I must say I always find your posts level, well thought out and just commone sense. Keep them coming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.